PDA

View Full Version : 1440P

Derstenzel
09-19-2013, 23:44
Gentleman and Maidens,

I am a hardware addict... Yes I am that idiot who is sucked into the marketing and has an extreme need to always run my games at the "highest" settings. This cost me a great deal of money and has been known to infferiate my wife. However, I always let her know that it is because I am the type of person that always has to have the best, that I picked her out to be my wife. This comment does not work so I strongly advise not using it.

Now that you all had to read though that completely off topic paragraph here is my question.
I am considering purchasing a 1440P monitor to run Rome 2. Who here is running at this resolution and is
it worth it?

- The Stubborn German

Myth
09-20-2013, 01:11
I'm using a full HD monitor (LG Flatron IPS231). The game looks great in 1920 x 1080 p, I gotta say.

Sp4
09-20-2013, 01:33
When is a bigger, better screen ever not worth it? If there is one thing Rome 2 is good at, it's looking good.

ReluctantSamurai
09-20-2013, 03:39
However, I always let her know that it is because I am the type of person that always has to have the best, that I picked her out to be my wife. This comment does not work so I strongly advise not using it

~D:bounce:~D

Sociopsychoactive
09-25-2013, 12:10
I'm running it on 1920 x 1080 as well, and with good graphics settings it looks amazing and is worth it. That said, I can't get my machine to cope with the good graphics settings. My excuse is that my monitor is used to watch films as well as play games. My girlfriend accepted that, just about.

Crozzfire
10-02-2013, 20:32
Running at 2560x1440. Is it worth it. Yes if you can afford it! Invest in a good monitor though, think of ghosting, color gamut and the viewing angle. I'd buy a cinema if I could to play rome or other games :)

theseeker
10-12-2013, 04:03
I am running a 30" 25x16 and the graphics are excellent. Just make sure you have the CPU and GPU horsepower to get the maximum benefit.

Alcibiade
10-12-2013, 14:16
I'm running it on 1920 x 1080 as well, and with good graphics settings it looks amazing and is worth it. That said, I can't get my machine to cope with the good graphics settings. My excuse is that my monitor is used to watch films as well as play games. My girlfriend accepted that, just about.

Yeah, the movie argument sure is efficient. In my case, the problem I had was to explain why a monitor and why not a beamer. I mean a video-projector.

I have one question about resolution: what is the native mode exactly and is it always better to use it or does it depend on the GPU I have ?

Crozzfire
10-12-2013, 16:51
I have one question about resolution: what is the native mode exactly and is it always better to use it or does it depend on the GPU I have ?

Your monitor is made up of a grid of light emitting squares. If your monitor is 1920x1080, then there's 1920 squares in the horizontal direction and 1080 in the vertical direction. If the game also runs at 1920x1080, then the pixels rendered by the game will line up perfectly with the monitor's physical squares. The game is said to run in native mode then. This is always better because if your game rendered a higher or lower resolution, then the pixels rendered by the game will still have to be fitted into the 1920x1080 squares on your monitor. So the image will either be scaled up or compressed to fit into your monitor. This leads to ugly, unsharp images because the scaling inevitably means having to use an uneven amount of squares. See this example image of this ugly effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Native-resolution_800x600_on_1024x768.JPG

Alcibiade
10-14-2013, 18:25
Your monitor is made up of a grid of light emitting squares. If your monitor is 1920x1080, then there's 1920 squares in the horizontal direction and 1080 in the vertical direction. If the game also runs at 1920x1080, then the pixels rendered by the game will line up perfectly with the monitor's physical squares. The game is said to run in native mode then. This is always better because if your game rendered a higher or lower resolution, then the pixels rendered by the game will still have to be fitted into the 1920x1080 squares on your monitor. So the image will either be scaled up or compressed to fit into your monitor. This leads to ugly, unsharp images because the scaling inevitably means having to use an uneven amount of squares. See this example image of this ugly effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Native-resolution_800x600_on_1024x768.JPG

Thanks crozzfire for the info. I really don't know much about graphics.
At the moment, my computer's graphic card is not powerfull enough to hold the native resolution with textures on max. I have to downgrade the res to 1600x 1080 if I want the max details without lag. The visuals are ok so far.

fret
10-23-2013, 20:35
I'm running at 2560 x 1440.

If you go for it, dont do it half-assed, be sure get an IPS standard device.

Is it worth it? For Rome its good, and is great for most games. Some games can be a pain though, text can be very small, a good example of this is EU IV, it strains my eyes.