PDA

View Full Version : Turn Time

VAE VICTUS
09-21-2013, 01:07
I am on my first real campaign(more or less know what im doing sorta). I'm Rome and I'm about 175 turns in. Got curious about how long everyone's turn times are. Here are mine :
2:41:11
1:57:20
1:56:10
1:48:55
2:00:05
2:01:17

I'm not sure if this is slow, average or fast. Like to see where it falls.

These are minutes, not hours, lol!

Hooahguy
09-21-2013, 01:11
Im just going to go ahead and assume you are doing the "watch every AI turn," right? You are aware that turning it off means its like ~30 seconds, not ~2 minutes? And I think theres an option to just see the turns your enemies are making.

VAE VICTUS
09-21-2013, 02:02
ahahaha.......hehehehe.......aaaaaa.........uummmm.......hmmmmmmmm........I thought it was turned off. Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. 36-45 seconds a turn.

Sp4
09-21-2013, 07:23
20-30 minutes.

Cause every turn, I have like 3 battles. I knew I should not have wardecced EVERYONE!

easytarget
09-21-2013, 16:56
It shouldn't be necessary to turn off show AI turn to make it playable.

I prefer to see where the AI is moving stuff, because often times agents and stacks go places that when the turn is complete they no longer show up, yet I know because I saw them on the move that they are in fact there.

Hooahguy
09-21-2013, 18:22
As I remember, watching the AI do their turns always took at least 1:30 in TW games. There is an option to just see the moves of your enemies and such which they added I think in patch 2.

AntiDamascus
09-21-2013, 18:24

I prefer to see where the AI is moving stuff, because often times agents and stacks go places that when the turn is complete they no longer show up, yet I know because I saw them on the move that they are in fact there.

It isn't necessary, you just have to watch all the factions move then and that takes time.

easytarget
09-21-2013, 20:03
Not sure what either of you are talking about really, the options in game settings are: Off, Limited and Full.

I've got it set on limited as a sort of comprise and it takes forever to resolve but at least allows me to see moves. I watch baseball on another display since by mid campaign it has become comical.

As for the saying this is typical, that hardly amounts to a defense, that's like saying it was bad but hey it's not worse than it was. Yet with this many factions running around it is in fact slower than any Shogun 2 ever was.

Sp4
09-21-2013, 20:11

Watching all AI moves and silly long AI turns has been around since Rome 1.. It's very simply a case of having to watch every AI do everything. I don't know whether it shouldn't be or should be necessary but I had this stuff turned off in every TW game I ever played since I started playing TW because it has always been silly long and 'comical'.

Right now at about 150 turns in, my AI turns take 20-30 seconds.

easytarget
09-21-2013, 20:15
Restatement of the above argument it's always been like that.

Golf clap

Sp4
09-21-2013, 20:16
Restatement of the above argument it's always been like that.

Golf clap

It shouldn't be like that.

Well it is, what you gonna do about it?

easytarget
09-21-2013, 20:18
Not be apologized to that it's always been like that when I know for a fact this is slower than Shogun 2 for starters.

Hooahguy
09-21-2013, 20:31
Yeah, and how many factions are there in Shogun 2? Now how many are there for Rome 2?

easytarget
09-21-2013, 22:51
Exactly. In fact, that would be my point. I need a hundred factions like I needed 700 supposed different units (670 of which looking pretty much the same or are never seen).

The correlation in size and scope with Empire told me how this launch would go, it's still hard not to be disappointed it turned out as I expected.

No matter, I'm sure CA will continue to hammer away on it and make improvements, and even if this stays a failed game in my opinion it will never detract from what I consider one of the greatest games I've ever played, namely Shogun 2.

CA are aces in my book forever because of that one game, nothing will ever change that.

Hooahguy
09-21-2013, 23:25
Wait, so are you arguing that there are too many factions or that turn times are too long because of it? I argue that I much prefer having a bunch of unique factions that may only have one settlement to a bland "rebel" faction to replace them like in RTW1.

Sp4
09-21-2013, 23:28
Wait, so are you arguing that there are too many factions or that turn times are too long because of it? I argue that I much prefer having a bunch of unique factions that may only have one settlement to a bland "rebel" faction to replace them like in RTW1.

It would be kind of nice if the campaign randomly assigned traits, like agressive, defensive bla bla to the different faction AIs at the beginning of a campaign and then have the AI act on them.

easytarget
09-22-2013, 16:00

Yeah, way too many for CA to handle properly and it shows in poor game design across the game. Many of which live and die over and over w/o being seen by the player, all of which slow down the game. Same for making 700 units.

You can compromise on this, S2 did, they had major clans and minor clans, they just didn't have 100 minor clans running around.

easytarget
09-22-2013, 16:06
It would be kind of nice if the campaign randomly assigned traits, like agressive, defensive bla bla to the different faction AIs at the beginning of a campaign and then have the AI act on them.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken I think they do actually do this, which is a good thing, because the traits each campaign vary. My piece of input on that would be I still think you should tweak the range a bit and institute the same kind of results you would often see in S2, where some of the major powers were always major powers as you'd expect.

In a game called Rome 2, to have Rome or Carthage destroyed w/in the first twenty years is just plain dumb. And as S2 has shown, avoidable. I mean sure there can be rare instances where a major clan got destroyed early in S2, but by and large if I for example played Date, I knew damn well I was going to have to contend with the diplomacy intricacies of alliance choices with Takeda, Uesugi and Hojo. The same should take place in R2, having someone like Carthage wiped out early by the likes of some no name barbarian clan wrecks immersion because it simply does not remotely fit reality. Sure this is a game about writing your own history, but it has a context and if we're just to treat all of the factions the same they might as well not have names and this might as well not be called Rome 2.

Sp4
09-22-2013, 18:46
Yes. Right now the difference between bland Rebel faction and unique names for the people living in just about every city is that some of these names, I know and I expect to know them and expect them to 'stick around'.
The first time I played a campaign, I played as the Gauls and I was really annoyed when I didn't have the Romans come around to declare war at some point, even after I had expanded into Spain. Then I went to go and check what they have been up to and they had not even moved off the Italian peninsula. They didn't even have Cisalpina.