PDA

View Full Version : My final statement, for what it\'s worth

Erado San
10-21-2002, 04:42
Fellow members of the Total War Community,

Over the past few weeks we have seen a controversy develop, in which a member of the Org staff has been accused of abusing his powers as an admin to retrieve passwords of Private Clan Forums.

Some claim he is proven guilt, others claim the proof is poor and has been tampered with. Guilty, not guilty, right, wrong, truth, lies... Oh how we think we know who is right or wrong... But what's right and what's wrong, and who's to judge?

We all have our own private window on reality. This window is defined by our morals, ethics and personal opinions. We all look upon the same reality, but see it differently from our private points of view.

From his personal belief Monsta is right. From my personal belief I am right. Who's to judge?

There is no logical answer to this. There are many emotional answers. Some will agree with one, some with the other. But that, as the current situation teaches us, gets us nowhere.

What can bring a solution is to look upon this from the different angles and try to find a common ground. Because of this approach I have been named 'The Voice of Reason' in a distant past by some in our community. Let's see if it leads us anywhere...

Some years ago Dan Goldstein founded Totalwar.org, known by many as the premier fansite for Total War games. Even before the release of Shogun, there were all kinds of sites popping up, and a number of clans appeared even then. Dan realised that the community didn't just need clans, but primarily a place where the game in all its detail and depth could be discussed. In such a place there would be no room for the strife and quarrels that Games like Total War, and especially the clans would generate.

The .Orgs policies have been based on that. No name calling, no accusations, no strife, knowing that you can't always prevent it, but at least stop it when needed.

---

From the moment I have seen this controversy develop I have stood behind Terazawa Tokugawa, simply because I don't back out of friends that easily. At that moment I had serious doubts about the evidence presented, and still do. There is a lot of it, I won't deny, but some of it has been doctored with beyond doubt, and I personally could present similar 'evidence' within very little time without much problem.

But who cares about proof, guilt, judgement... What does it mean and bring us?

The only thing this whole thing has brought us is a huge controversy that has not brought pleasure to anybody, or if it did your morals are very low.

One thing that I still firmly believe in, is that the whole issue does NOT belong on the Org or its forums. Whether or not clan forums have been invaded or not is totally irrelevant to me. There is a minor chance that Tera used the option he had as Org admin to read passwords of members, but then again, many clan forums are so poorly protected that the password to them van be guessed on the second or third attempt. Again, right, wrong, what does it mean?

I won't comment on Tera's guilt or innocence. I have my opinion, others have theirs and there's no sense in keeping at each others throats about that. You won't convince me, I won't convince you.

What some people do want however, is an explanation about the bans. I will give you one, knowing that you probably won't find it acceptable.

First, and foremost, nobody has been banned for accusing a .Org staff member. We don't do in protectionism.

All the bans have been enforced as a result of the behaviour of the patrons themselves. I have not seen all the posts that got people banned, so don't ask me full details, I don't know them and I am not interested. I will go into the bans that I have seen happening:

Tinky - In his actions I see no sign of good intent. He only sought to bring Tera down, and found willing helpers that were only to keen to settle old scores. Because of that a permanent ban is well deserved.

Magyar - His persistence in bringing this case as almost a trial and his continuous efforts to push his version of the truth as the only truth is scary. This clearly is not according to .Org policies, and a one week ban is justified.

Monsta - After the initial bans he kept complaining in a way that's hard to justify. Especially when he compared .Org staff to Adolf Hitler he crossed a line. Whatever you may think, this is a comparison that is unacceptable in any respect. Justifies a two week ban anytime.

Kocmoc - Followed in Monsta's footsteps and brought back memories of Joseph Goebbels and the Burning of the Books. Two weeks...

There have been more, and I can justify all of them from within my perspective on this whole affair.

BUT!!!
Like I said, this is all from my perspective on reality, and who is to say that I am right? From your perspective I may well be totally wrong and you might be ready to throw mud at me, or chop off my head and boil soup of me...

I realise this, and have decided the differences in our opinions have reached a point where I can no longer represent you all as administrator of the Org. I believe in the choices I have made, and also believe in the choice I make now. I resign as administrator. I will reconsider at the moment my position as moderator of the tech support forum, knowing my responsibility I have towards the people who are posting there.

Right, wrong... I don't know. And I don't care that much. One day this was all about a game. People have taken this into a direction I don't even understand. Clan infiltrations, password trade-offs, subterfuge, judgement, verdict... I watch the news everyday and see things like that happening in the real world. Then I go into this virtual reality and see the same thing happening in a games forum...

Right... Wrong... I don't even care anymore... And I wonder what this has brought you all... Have you enjoyed it?

I call upon every member in the community to reconsider his responsiblities and actions.

I call upon my fellow administrators to reconsider the bans, not because we were wrong in enforcing them, but because they serve no purpose anymore. It's about time to stop all this nonsense.

I call upon those that sought 'justice' to let the matter rest. You made your point, Tera has resigned and all clan forums should by now have new passwords or you learned nothing (by the way, give me ten minutes and I'm in if I want http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

I call upon those that wreaked havoc in the forums to reconsider some of the things you have said. I understand emotions got pretty high, but some of the things you said were beyond any standard.

I call upon every member of this community to hold the standards of the Org high. They have served us well and will serve us well in the future.

I have served this community for a long time, and I will do so in the future. In what capacity, I am not certain yet. It has been fun most of the time, but the fun has gone out of it over the past few weeks.

Yours truly,

Erado San

LittleGrizzly
10-21-2002, 05:03
well said and a good statment

[This message has been edited by LittleGrizzly (edited 10-20-2002).]

Erado San
10-21-2002, 05:06
Might well be, Grizzly, I think that was the result of the result of etc... Just supports my point that this nonsense should end right here and right now.

By the way, feel free to reply in this thread or in this other forum:
http://pub42.ezboard.com/ftotalwar58324frm5

LittleGrizzly
10-21-2002, 05:15
if erados reply looks weired it cause i edited it out because i think this is wrong place for it

ya can see what i put at link erado put up

[This message has been edited by LittleGrizzly (edited 10-20-2002).]

Kas
10-21-2002, 05:28
Ok...I agree this has gone a bit out of control (as usual) and it had to end.

I'll stick to my opinion posted elsewhere, but let's move on.

Kas http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

http://www.aggony.org/kasicon.gif
HIC EST KAS DUX
www.aggony.org (http://www.aggony.org)

TheViking
10-21-2002, 06:32
edited

[This message has been edited by TheViking (edited 10-21-2002).]

Sir Kuma of The Org
10-21-2002, 10:04
Konniwacha Erado Sama,

You summed it up in a much more diplomatic way that i did in the focus forum http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif.

Please take your time before leaving. Giving Tosa Inu Sama the support needed.

Thanks in advance, i know you will.

Marc-André

Alrowan
10-21-2002, 10:58
like i said elswhere, this is really sad to see.. whatever happened to people playing for fun these days. People need to take a step back and realise that this is not reality

tootee
10-21-2002, 11:40
Quote Originally posted by TheViking:
The Angels infiltrated the Aggonyclan this spring and tried to split the clan and they nearly succeded.

This time they went after one person, Tera, and got him.

I dont know Tera that well but we had some good conversations and battles b4 STW went down all the time. And Erado i dont know if i have ever met. So I dont speak as a good friend of them.

Tera and Erado rise again and dont let the Angels win, keep on fighting.

I dont know wether my words matter or not, but ask some of the Aggonyvets and u may get some new information, the Wolfes should do the same and then maybe they would look at this in a different way.

[/QUOTE]
Your statement above is definitely INAPPROPRIATE and unconstructive. Please edit it and post your personal judgement it in http://pub42.ezboard.com/ftotalwar58324frm5.showMessage?topicID=19.topic

Erado san, I am concern about the password security feature of the forums. Now that a mechanism of potential misuse has been identified, is .Org gonna do anything to improve it? Last I heard, there is something about changing the forum?

--
Always for .Org
--

------------------
tootee the goldfish,
headmaster of Shogun-Academy (http://shogun-academy.tripod.com)
loyal roach of Clan S.G. (http://thesilvergazwa.tripod.com)
'Pa Si Buay Chao! Si Liao Ka Song!'
------------------

Erado San
10-21-2002, 14:28
The potential abuse has been shielded from the outside. Admins can still abuse them. The Org staff will investigate a new forum, is the last I have heard. Don't know the status of that.

LittleGrizzly
10-21-2002, 14:45
after tera-gate im sure none would dare and still how about cross forum notice on it

NagatsukaShumi
10-21-2002, 15:53
This entire event has been totally meaningless. The whole thing, true or not should NOT have been argued about at the org. This entire fiasco has been one step down for the org. I'm sure people are scared to come back now because they fear the Admin will abuse their powers, I certainly don't feel that way at all, I trust the Admin who heartidly with their powers to view my information as I trust they won't look at it, and even if they did, all they could do is possily look at my clan's forums, nothing to be horribly worried about at all.

Because of this we have lost two Admin, Erado and Tera, we've lost two Admin pointlessly too. Right or wrong, innocent or guilty, there was no need for you people to hound Tera down, and quite frankly I applaud Tera for leaving after the hassle he got, for me it proved just how much of a person he is if he has the guts to leave when truly he has no reason other than the abuse he recieves to do so.

I know no one here regards me as a patron, I don't blame them either, what the hell has NagatsukaShumi done for us, but it doesn't really bother me, in my heart I believe I helped the community by sticking by Tera, after all a real family wouldn't desert a son if acused of a crime would they, and real freinds, whether long term or short team should always stick by Tera.

I however hope that Erado stays on as a Moderator at the Tech forum, lets not let anothers persons good work leave because of this.

------------------
Power to the Sultan!
-Clan Seljuk
http://img.seznam.cz/img_novinky/mcchicken_head.gif.gif -The McChicken Head, official Seljuk Mascot

NinjaKilla
10-21-2002, 16:40
New tournament hosted by Shades. Let's get on and bang some heads!

------------------
Clan Kenchikuka (http://www.totalwar.org/kenchikuka)

Alrowan
10-21-2002, 19:21
yeah, thats the way. lets all sort out any differences on the field... just please relax and ENJOY THE GAME

Hirosito
10-22-2002, 12:29
it really is sad that erado sama has had to resign for the '2nd' time. the first time i refer to is when he changed his name to erado the black just so people would look beyond the word admin below his name. like that last time i was gone for 3 days and all hell breaks loose. the end result has always been the loss of some of the best members of the community.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Hirosito the Baptist of the Babbiest Babe Thread.

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

theforce
10-22-2002, 18:59
Erado San your "penalties" here or whatever you wanna call them show your feelings on some members in here and show to others your true opinion of the matter.
I don't know you well but l knew Tera and l think he is a good guy that helped the community a lot. Now if l was Tera and l was blamed like that and didn't do nothing l would fight to show l am innocent. Tera didn't acted like that. I found that weird and made me believed that he actually did such a thing.
Since l don't play games right now and l am just helping out Angels with their site l shall speak of the truth in here.
It seems like members are NOT judged in the same way in here. I mean just because Monsta, kocmoc and Magy are very good players are daimyos of major clans they shall be banned for 2 weeks and Tinky for ever just because u guys saw it as a good chance to ban him.
Like l said l wouldn't believe the accusations against Tera but Tinky made them and provited some evidence l know he couldn't fake cause l know his skills in photoshop.
Tera's resignition also was weird. Anyway if you want .org to continue running normally be fair.
If Tera was guilty and Tinky tried to bring it up then why should he be banned?

------------------
I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Rath
10-22-2002, 19:10
I'll move this to the focus forum now.

TosaInu
10-22-2002, 20:51
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000012.html

You may also read the rules:
http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

Orda Khan
10-22-2002, 21:21
Personally I am not interested in any of this just as what the Wolves do or say in their forums does not interest me. I play this game - I will repeat "PLAY" this "GAME" for light entertainment for fun. I can not comprehend this childish nonsense.

Hello these are nicknames we are using, this is a game. Some of you need to get out more

I have learnt that there is one absolute guarantee in life and that is people will always let you down.

.....Orda

------------------
" Send us your ambassadors and thus we shall judge whether you wish to be at peace with us or at war..if you make war on us the Everlasting God, who makes easy what was difficult and makes near what was far, knows that we know what our power is."

Hirosito
10-23-2002, 11:21
is tera's farewell message still accessible and if so where? i would like to read to understand more what krast and everyone is angry about.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

Hirosito
10-23-2002, 11:51
just found it by search, i suppose it's called 'the final word'. but it is not accessible. i want to read it.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

TosaInu
10-23-2002, 14:20
Konnichiwa Hirosito san,

The Clan forum moderator has deleted topics.

Ja mata
TosaInu

[This message has been edited by TosaInu (edited 10-23-2002).]

LittleGrizzly
10-23-2002, 16:06
one thing i would like to now is tink gonna be unbanned maybe he does deserve a 2 week ban but a permanant ban i feel is a bit harsh could someone please answer on this ?

DarthGuru
10-23-2002, 23:39
Seems like no matter how long I leave, things remain the same...

NinjaKilla
10-24-2002, 06:18
Oops sorry Erado, I didnt read all your post. :O Just thought I'd add how important and appreciated you are, espescially in your technical capacity. We need people like you and Kraellin to answer our fustratingly idiotic and repetitive tech question. Hope you take that into consideration. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Clan Kenchikuka (http://www.totalwar.org/kenchikuka)

Hirosito
10-27-2002, 15:59
i understand tosa i suppose it's best for the org if noone can read it.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

TosaInu
10-27-2002, 16:42
Konnichiwa Hirosito san,

These topics have been around and open for days if not weeks.

Ja mata
TosaInu

Hirosito
10-28-2002, 10:42
Oh ok so when you said they were deleted what did you mean? but to be honest it's not really very important anymore. it's happened and it's sad.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

Gentile or Jew

TosaInu
10-28-2002, 13:54
Konnichiwa Hirosito san,

This forum takes up quite some 'bandwidth', this forum was some 300 mb in size with over 100,000 posts. This caused problems with the server, and our host shut the forum completely down . We're forced to prune the forums since then. The moderators do have a difficult task: which topics are important and which aren't.

Spam topics and rants are the first things to be prunned. Prunned means that the topics get deleted/removed from the server.

The Tera topics were deleted because houserules were trampled.

Ja mata
TosaInu

Kocmoc
11-10-2002, 11:11
bad is tosa, that u closed very productiv topics too, some of them where we was discussing about solution with the patch and what should/could be changed.....

but maybe there was to much spamm or trash....whatever u will know it.....

im just a pathetic idiot http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif