PDA

View Full Version : Would You Please Leave? God Sent Me

Azrael
11-12-2002, 03:25
Hey Guys,

Well, I'm playing the English on Glorious Acheivements, which means I have to go on pious whoop-@ss missions in the Middle East.
As I can't go back in time, I'm just curious to know what would have happened in the following scenario:

I Crusade against Antioch and Eddessa, conquering both provinces. I know that I have to Crusade against Tripoli and Palestine, so after building a bit of technology in Antioch, I send normal armies in and take Tripoli.

Glorious Acheivements list says I must still take Tripoli by Crusade. Can I launch a Crusade against my own Province? What will my Crusader Army do upon arrival.

Also, the French, bit behind on the uptake launch a Crusade on Tripoli, even though I live there. Oddly enough, an combined Army of Byzantines, French, and my own bought troops (man English Camel Warriors look a little silly) face an oncoming Egyptian Army that happens to arrive at the same time.

The battle ends, the computer says, due to the size of their armies being the largest, this becomes a Byzantine Province.

However, we go to map screen, Byzantines are gone, Tripoli is Blue, because the French are there. Taking a closer look, I realise my bribed Egyptians are actually under seige in the castle.

Move a huge army into Tripoli, French Crusade cannot win the battle and retreats, only to reappear next turn, with the message, Leader explains that they are on a Crusade from God, will you hand over the Province willingly???

Um... No. I need Tripoli for my Crusade (though I own it and haven't launched a Crusade there). So, the French, a couple (I mean, honestly, two) of archers and spearmen and One Knight Templar, who manages to slay almost 1/3 of my forces before he dies, all die.

What if I had said, Yes, go ahead. Take the Province. Would I have met with similar hospitality when my own Crusader Army arrived?

If you know the answer to any of these, please, let me know.

Azrael

KukriKhan
11-12-2002, 03:43
Hey Was that you? Honest-to-God, I'm in exactly the same scenarion in 1292, only from the French side. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

In a previous campaign, I stepped aside to allow the Crusaders in (the Pope sent me 1000 florins...ha&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif always wondered what would happen if I'd said: Nope.

Gregoshi
11-12-2002, 08:16
I would have taken any opportunity to pound the French as they have been a pain in my HRE campaign. I'd have let the French crusade in. However, I wonder if that Crusade would have disappeared from your GA list since the French would have achieved it? I have noticed that the GAs do change over time.

solypsist
11-12-2002, 08:26
1. Can't crusade against anything that is held by Christians (unless excommunicated); which leaves Rebels, Islamics, andone at war with the Pope (he will ask for a crusade against them) and said Excommunicated.
2. Taking a Crusade target by conventional means does not bestow GA points. You have to get the event parcment that says Your crusaders have taken etc. on a GA Crusade to get points. You will not be given the option of choosing a province of your own for crusade.
2a. You can get by this by causing a rebellion in your English-held Tripoli (high tax, no garrison) and then launching a crusade on it, preferably from right next door so you re-take it next turn. Then you get the points.

Azrael
11-12-2002, 14:52
Hey Guys,

Well, You can't Crusade against anything that is held by Christians. That's a weird one, because I was a full fledged member of the Catholic Church until I repelled the army of 19 French men (not kidding) who I wouldn't hand the Province peacefully to. Probably the French Crusade set off, just before I took Tripoli myself.

Next time I think I'll take the money and smile. I've got Edessa and Antioch by Crusade. Currently building a Chapter House in Antioch to take Palestine and Tripoli (even though I live there). I was thinking I'll probably have to facilitate a revolt.

Probably one of those moments that has changed the course of history, since I'm now at War with the French. I was so close to linking my ships from England to Antioch and securing international trade with the Near East.

Let me just ask, if anyone knows: Once your Crusade is successful, do you have to hold onto it until 1250? I notice on the Glorious Acheivements screen that Eddessa and Antioch are no longer Crusade Goals, but as yet, I have no Crusade points?

Maybe it's an all or nothing affair.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Azrael

Cooperman
11-12-2002, 17:05
You have to hold it until 1250, if you lose the province then it will be re-added as an objective for you to capture.

boneyman1769
11-12-2002, 21:31
The best way to take a crusade province once you have your toe hold in the mid-east is as follows. Have a crusade ready to go. Then take a crusade province with a regular army. Move the regular army out, or enough troops to insure a rebellion. You did bring an emissary? When the province rebells declare a crusade. DO NOT move into the province yet. Bribe the rebelling army/ies with your emissary/ies. When that succeeds the next turn move your crusade in with the soon to be your armies. Now, you have not only achieved a crusade objective, but also gained an army/ies of better troop types than you could probably have built. Especially with the cash outlay to establish a sea line of supply and build crusades that will actually work.

Fearless
11-13-2002, 16:05
Thanks for the tip boneyman1769 I'll give it a try......... sounds good