PDA

View Full Version : MTW Online

Gregoshi
11-15-2002, 15:47
I've transplanted this from another thread since it was off topic:

I've played MTW online with no problems on my under specs machine. So far it has only been 1v1s and I have not experienced any lag. I'm not so sure what a 2v2 would be like though. I did have occasional lag problems with 2v2 on STW so I don't know how well my machine will handle so many men with MTW.

My specs are:

PII 350
256mb RAM
16mb Voodoo 3 graphic card (unsupported)
Soundblaster Live Platinum (hardware acceleration turned off)
cablemodem

I was quite concerned when I saw that the minimum specs for online play was a 750. So I'll take 1v1s for now and sometime I'll try a 2v2 - but only with friends who will realize that I may have lag problems or worse. I'd hate to mess up a game with strangers. Though to be honest, I think anyone who has played me online would be unable to distinguish my normal play with one where I'm experiencing severe lag. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Azrael
11-15-2002, 15:55
Tell me Gregoshi, if you know,

When you experience lag in a battle, say everything freezes for 3 to 5 secons, do all the combatants experience this lag?

On Wolfenstein MP, if I have Lag, things freeze, but when the lag is finished, things have moved, reflecting the fact that things have been going on while I was in limbo.

In MTW, if I get 3 seconds of lag, when things resume, it's from the point they stopped. Everywhere on the battle map. So does lag affect a specific user, or all the people playing the game?

Please let me know.

Azrael

KukriKhan
11-15-2002, 16:02
In my experience, when I lag, all the players lag at the same rate. MP plays at the fastest available speed of the slowest participant. More info at Erado's Tech Dojo, linked on the Org main page.

EDIT: My bad...Erado's site is currently under construction, so that info isn't available right now. Will advise when he's 'back up'. Sorry. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Azrael
11-15-2002, 17:16
Kukri, you know all.

Why did I ever want to leave the Entrance Hall to begin with? I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence (lol).

One of the things that blew me away about STW was the fact that it was the only game I could play Online, against other Total Warmongers.

It's also great that it allows us 56K modem Cavepeople to participate fully online also.

You know, with a cablemodem and 256 megs of RAM, I'm surprised you're worried about lagging other players. When you've played more than 2 players with your mates, have they noticed significant lag?

Azrael

Gregoshi
11-15-2002, 17:28
If I recall from the STW days, my lag was my lag only. I'd message my ally that lag was bad but he'd say he is fine with no lag. I'm not techie enough discuss the wherefore's and why's though. That doesn't help much and unfortunately I don't have the time at present to search for the thread that discussed the online game. I believe it was a Main Hall topic.