PDA

View Full Version : Comment for Wellingtons discussion in the Dungeon

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 13:13
Q: If a utility was provided for this community, specifically for MTW unit/animation modding, what features and functionality would you like it to contain?

Could a moderator post this in the For anyone interested in Units and/or Animations topic by Wellington in the Dungeon for me. Cheers.

An objects editor that could help with the positioning of objects on a figure-image.
Maybe a viewer that could be rotated to show the various camera angles of the figure/objects with the ability to rotate the images then export co-ords to a usable text file.
When making new units this seems to be the most time comsuming part for me, and would help anyone making unit animations from scratch to quickly plot the new weapons & shields onto the figure.

KukriKhan
11-13-2002, 15:04
Caledfwlch, I copy/pasted your input, rather than moving the topic (would have created a new topic). Go see.

I'll leave this topic here a day or two for you to track, then poof (to save on duplication). Did I say Welcome to the Org? Welcome to the Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Fearless
11-13-2002, 16:00
Great idea Caledfwlch............where can I get it. I am a designer and I would like to dabble. Lucky for me I have a wacom tablet.

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 17:19
Cheers KukriKhan.

Btw Fearless, forgive my ignorance, but what is a wacom tablet?

Fearless
11-13-2002, 17:30
A Wacom tablet is a pen and Tablet allowing me to draw, paint, airbrush freehand onto a computer screen. Some artist have the tablet on their laps and use it as a sketch pad mines to my right and took a little time to draw on the tablet while looking at the screen at the same time. Imagine how quick it is to clip a piece of artwork.

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 17:39
I could do with one of those Sounds expensive though. My experience unfortunately is limited to PSP7 and a slight dabble with photoshop 5.5. I only get to tinker in my spare time really. Sounds like you've had lots of experience in this stuff.

Fearless
11-13-2002, 18:05
Well yes....... I am a full time graphic designer. Wacom tablet you can pick up for £100 maybe less. A4 size will do though I work on an A3. To edit unit artwork you will find a pen and tablet a must. By the way I normally work with photoshop but PSP7 is a must have as it opens a lot more images with strange extensions. If you want any pointers email me.

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 18:52
Nice one Fearless, Cheers.

KukriKhan
11-15-2002, 04:22
One last question before this thread goes away...Caledfwlch, how do you pronounce your screen name? Is it: Cal-ed-(something) or Kay-led (something)?

Kraellin
11-15-2002, 06:58
i'm not sure which animations you're referring to, but we do have a .bif editor available for download on the main .org pages. i get that you're looking for something a little more though, yes?

and yes, psp7.0 is a very good program.

i used a tablet back in the 8 bit days, but found it lacking. how are they these days and where can i look to find info on this wacom tablet and is psp7 compatible with it or does it use its own software?

K.

Caledfwlch
11-15-2002, 11:12
KukriKhan, it's pronounced Cal-ed-fulch and it's apparently the native british (Dumnonian) name for excalibur (pre saxon expansion).

Kraellin, what I'm talking about is a way to edit how weapon and shield graphics look when superimposed on the unit anims in-game.
Medieval TW\Textures\Men\Items\Shield1 contain all the angle info in the charge.txt, die.txt, fight.txt, run.txt, stand.txt, walk.txt. files. Just thought it would be quicker to have a prog that could drag, drop and rotate the swords/spears/shields then export the co-ords to a txt file rather than doing it manually.

Hope this explains it a bit better. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Kraellin
11-15-2002, 19:10
caled,

ah, ok. nope, i dont think we have any such animal. care to build one? :)

K.

Caledfwlch
11-15-2002, 22:33
Heh heh, believe me , if i could i would. Just have to wait for a talented programmer to do the honours. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif