PDA

View Full Version : Best Offspring

fastspawn
11-13-2002, 11:00
i was wondering what were your best offspring for the faction you had.

I once went to a lucky streak where my king produced 4 boys in succesive years which were all in the 6-8 star range and had 6-8 acumen. in fact the 2nd kid was a 8/8 general and since he is an ex-prince he is immortal.

and to think the king was a 4 star general. Does the stats of the father have anything to do with the stats of the son??

Cooperman
11-13-2002, 12:18
Theres various threads on breeding good heirs in the main forums of which this is probably the best to answer your question.

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....l=heirs (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=1268;hl=heirs)

Not that we can post replies there yet http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 12:21
Not sure if it's down to the father. I usually play as the English, and their king churns out some good sons with the odd runt (good runner etc) every now and then. Might be hard-coded seeing as some of the king/general names are pre-set (el-cid for example).

MonkeyMan
11-13-2002, 21:18
It is down to the father, i.e. each heir is their father with +/- 0-2 on each stat. Then v random V&Vs are factored in. So you have a heir that is a natural 5 like his father but is an alcoholic and capture therefore 5-2 = 3.

I the general idea of good vices is passed on, i.e. if you have king of rank 5 with a skilled defender virtue his sons will be natural 7 +/- 0-2 assuming he is defending when they come of age. In this way, if you use a province as rebellion capital, you will easily gain a 3 star natuaral bonus per generation. Also generally good virtue = generally virtuous sons but there is a random factor (so kill the lazy inbred drunks if you can).

Hosakawa Tito
11-13-2002, 21:47
I haven't played all the factions yet, but I think it is pretty much random v&v when they come of age. Then as you use them in the game you can at least influence how they develop. What I find frustrating is that if you retreat, even against impossible odds, you get a very negative vice, runner or coward. If you choose to fight your general gets killed or routs anyway amounting to the same bad vice. Retreating and stretching out your enemy's forces and supply lines is a proven tactic, the Russians have been masters at it over the centuries. Do it in this game and you ruin a general.

MonkeyMan
11-13-2002, 22:25
Quote[/b] (Hosakawa Tito @ Nov. 13 2002,14:47)]I haven't played all the factions yet, but I think it is pretty much random v&v when they come of age. Then as you use them in the game you can at least influence how they develop. What I find frustrating is that if you retreat, even against impossible odds, you get a very negative vice, runner or coward. If you choose to fight your general gets killed or routs anyway amounting to the same bad vice. Retreating and stretching out your enemy's forces and supply lines is a proven tactic, the Russians have been masters at it over the centuries. Do it in this game and you ruin a general.
what would you suggest tito?

something like gets good runner if he doesn't kill anyone or has the larger army something like that.

Hosakawa Tito
11-14-2002, 00:55
Depends how bad I need the army he is commanding. If you retreat you may give the general a bad vice, but you can replace him. If you stay and fight and get your army slaughtered, then you better have a backup force in a nearby province, or your going to lose some territory. I've pulled out battles against 7-1 odds, but it sure makes it difficult to hold that province, with a much depleted force, if the enemy attacks again and again. Every situation is different, try different strategies to see which works best for you and your style.

Al Qasim Hussein
11-15-2002, 22:36
Let me tell you about the virile Yusuf I of the mighty Almohads.

First off, he had seven kids. THe last of which was born well into his sixties. Every one of them (well, except for that weird fourth child, I can't even remember his name) was a 6-7 star general w/ good v&v's to morale, health, acumen, etc. (except for that odd fourth child...come to think of it, the King was away and at war when that fourth child was conceived...I'm going to have to speak to the Royal mother about that Poor Yusuf I has unfortunately gone to the great harem in the sky...he dines w/ allah now)

At any rate, the only bad v&v any of them had was drunkard. And no wonder, I mean they can't even get MARRIED and dad's runnin' around poppin' out kids like it was nothin'. That's a lot of manhood to live up to, you know?