PDA

View Full Version : ver1.1 and advanced units

seamusmoon
11-20-2002, 00:53
In my first campaign (early period) I played the English, and was able to build any units for which I had the appropriate buildings completed. After installing 1.1, I've started a new early period English campaign and am unable to build crossbowmen/longbowmen even though I have built the bowyers workshop and guild (in Wales), nor can I build billmen with my spearmakers guild in Mercia. The same problem seems to be affecting the ship building (i.e. can only build barques though I have buildings that should let me build caravels). The problem doesn't seem to affect heavy calvary units since I've recently acheived the ability to build chivalraic knights (horse breeder+armorers workshop+baronial castle). The year is now 1145.

Is this a bug or did I miss something in the 1.1 update notes?

P.S. Sorry if this question has already been asked a million times.

thx
-seamusmoon

The Last Emperor
11-20-2002, 03:45
All those 3 units u mentioned are only available after the early era. U can only get them after 1200+...can't remember the year. To confirm what units are available in which time period urself, go to the unit list at the custom battle mode and see for urself.

KukriKhan
11-20-2002, 03:47
Greetings seamusmoon and welcome to the Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I haven't played the English since the patch, so I can't answer your question personally. I'll dig around and see what I can find (or maybe we'll get lucky and someone with the answer will wander this way http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif ).

Ahh, stepped on The Last Emperor toes on that one. Thanks TLE

seamusmoon
11-25-2002, 03:31
Hello All-

Thanks for the replies; they were quite helpful in discovering what was going on and why I was so confused. Turns out that I didn't have all of the facts straight in my original post, since I was at work when I posted and not close to my home rig where all the gaming happens. I wasn't able to build chivalric knights; the horse breeder+armorers workshop+royal estate was yielding feudal knights, which fits the feudal-only mode I was witnessing (must've had feudal knights confused with mounted sergeants, which are horse breeder+armorers workshop).

Also, the second campaign was a glorious achievements game at the normal difficulty setting, which seems to follow the early, middle, and late period tech tree. My first campaign was a conquest game at the easy difficulty setting (sorry it was my first try and I was afraid), which seems to allow the player to build whatever units she or he has the facilities for, regardless of the period.

Thanks again for nudging me in the right direction, this is a very useful forum. Now I've got to get another army together because the Almolhads are gettin' a little uppity and threatening my Spanish neighbors/allies, and the Pope is clamoring for yet another crusade against the Turk. Actually it's all just a good excuse for me to knock some heads, fill my treasury, and claim a few new provinces for the empire.

-Seamus the Dread Prince Moon

KukriKhan
11-25-2002, 05:39
Glad we got sorted, seamusmoon. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

If you're Spain now, and the Elmo's are knocking at the door, have no mercy: push them back to (at least) Algeria...preferably Tunisia, or you'll never be rid of them. And watch Portugal's status each turn. Elmo's like to re-emerge there.

seamusmoon
11-26-2002, 00:42
Hi KukriKahn-

Actually I'm playing the English (it's ~1175 or so), and have knocked France out of the game (mostly for the +1 valour in Ile de France and Toulouse for chivalric knights and footknights...thinking long term). The Elmo's took Valencia and Aragon, and were trying to take Castille from my Spanish allies...that is until I intervened from Aquitane and Toulouse.

I now hold Aragon and Valencia and was able to fight some battles with allied Spanish units on the battlefield...very nice indeed, especially since they let me keep the conquered provinces. Now I've got a crusade passing through Spain collecting units for the assault on Cordoba (a tricky bridge assault which the Spanish seem reluctant to willingly participate in...hence the crusade), with the eventual goal of Granada. I'm definitely considering pushing into North Africa because those first three provinces along the way all have gold resources...like I said just a good excuse to knock some heads, fill the treasury, and conquer some new provinces for the empire.

Thanks for all your help http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif