PDA

View Full Version : Need Video Help

anavader
11-30-2002, 17:49
I am trying to post on the tech board but i can't. I just bought a new GeForce4 TI 4400 with 128mb Ram and i have a 1ghz cpu with 384 RAM.

Anytime there is a large number of combatants (say 3000+) i sometimes get an error that says out of video memory. I got the latest drivers from Nvidia, and have the D3Dpci turned down also since it is an AGP card. Any ideas??

Lehesu
11-30-2002, 18:05
Did you check to see what percent of your computer is free? Often times memory errors will occur when the computer has been running for a while and losing free space. What OS do you have?

Gregoshi
11-30-2002, 19:19
Welcome to the Org Lehesu and anavader.

Your problem seemed familiar but I was unable to find it in a search at the Dungeon or over at .com. I'll post your problem in the Dungeon. To help further, as anavader asked, what operating system are you using? Once I have that I'll copy over your problem.

SmokWawelski
12-01-2002, 20:27
I do not know what are you running but I would check two places:
- In BIOS there can be an option for “RAM shadowing” or something like that. Try to play with that.
- Depending on your video card, you might be able to set how much of your memory is used to help service video textures. I have a GeForce2 GTS 32RAM, and I am able to set that from the video card properties window. Again, I do not know what system do you have.
- Finally, there is a performance option at the system properties windows. Try to adjust the slider in there.
That’s all that I can think of. If you have 128MB RAM and use Windows2000, that is a minimum, regardless of what Microsoft says. Depending on your CPU, motherboard and video card, it might be simply not enough to play MTW with a room to breath. Memory is very cheap right now (I assume that you are running 133MHz sticks), so I would simply upgrade to 256, or even 512 to be safe. That is what I have in my computer.

Good Luck

Ironfist
12-01-2002, 22:45
Hi, I have a G4 Ti4600 which is just a faster clocked version of the card that you have. It works just fine, and I play battles at 1024x768 with all detail at max and with units at the largest soldiers per unit.

The game is 2D and the texture maps all fit easily within the frame buffer (128MB) on your card so the issue shouldnt be your video card. HOWEVER if you are using the nview advanced properties with the latest NVIDIA drivers that can take up display resources. Turning that off (if you're using it) can help considerably.

Make sure you really have the latest drivers from
www.nvidia.com,

Good luck
regards
Roy

anavader
12-01-2002, 23:27
I'm sorry, i should have included more info. I have Windows XP Pro and I turned off all of the PCI memory textures since the card is agp. I did notice that that I did not have this problem with my GeForce 2.

I went into BIOS and the largest AGP aperture setting was 64mb. I am going to try to upgrade my BIOS, but something is telling me that isn't it.

I do thank everyone for trying so far.

Gregoshi
12-02-2002, 06:20
anavader, I posted your problem in the Dungeon. Here is the thread: Out of video memory (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=2977;r=1;&#top)

Correction: this should have been posted in the Apothecary. I've asked barocca or Lord Krazy to move it for me. Look for the topic there soon. Sorry for the goof up. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif