PDA

View Full Version : new faction mod

Guarda
11-27-2002, 19:02
i read almost everything in the forum regarding mod and creating new factions, but something is missing, is there a guide or a fac book,
i´trying to make a Portuguese factions replacing the Aragonese, becose i beleve that Portugal deserves a playable faction, they were more sucesseful then the aragonese, is one of the oldest countries in Europe, and i'm portuguese.
if anyone can help me i apreciate
http://www.terravista.pt/Guincho/1421/bandeira/pt_1143.gif

desdichado
11-28-2002, 07:35
Can't help with the above question but do you know what happened to the Aragonese in real life? Don't remember hearing about them until I played MTW.

Is there still a region called Aragon?

If you give them a chance in the game they can actually do OK. Playing as Egypt and getting into a war with Almohads almost immediately (and Byzantines and Turks - not real clever) gave the Aragonese a chance to expand. They took on on France and are winning. Might keep that campaign going just to see how they do

Ciao

Ciao

CeltiberoMordred
11-28-2002, 23:24
Im agree, if kingdoms like Switzerland or Burgundy are factions, Portugal should be another.
IMHO, i think Lituania must be a faction before others, but here customers rules, not History.

Aragon unknown?Aragon was a very important kingdom: they fight against muslims in the Reconquista, and dominated the trade in the Mediterranean, beating Venecians, Genoveses, and conquering the biggest islands, such as Sicily or Sardis. In addition, they defeat Byzantium, plunder Constantinopla, they conquered Greece and Neopatria, they served as mercenaries in Turkey... And they were one of the most famous mercenaries of the middle ages, the almughavars

Can anybody say what the irish or the scotish did?:P

fodder
11-29-2002, 00:47
Quote[/b] (Guarda @ Nov. 27 2002,12:02)]i beleve that Portugal deserves a playable faction
Hi Guarda, I agree. I tried adding the portuguese using the free_01 faction but this crashes the game.

Replacing the aragonese is not very difficult to do, you need to change the flags and rename the faction in the loc files. I can give you a full list of files to change if you want.

tarkins
11-29-2002, 02:54
I agree Portugal deserve a faction. I never heard about Aragon neither but I'll make a search and tell you the result.

tarkins
11-29-2002, 03:02
I found it, Aragon is still a province in Spain (to the North).
But I don't know what it did in the history.

CeltiberoMordred
11-29-2002, 03:18
tarkins, why do u ignore my post? :P

CeltiberoMordred
11-29-2002, 03:29
PD: what kind of History do u study???? only your mother country's???

Knight_Yellow
11-29-2002, 04:08
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/argue.gif
Ok here goes celtibero said that the arogons where real good but how cum no1 apart from u has heard of them?
and i noticed that u dissed scotland and ireland well the scottish held out against english invaders for 400 years and then booted them out completely and are still around unlike ur crumby faction

so can u realy compare a dead long gone forgotten faction to the scotts who where constantly outnumbered but still survived up to this day?.
no i didny think so what history do u study only ur silly factions i bet. dont be ignorant it cums back and bites u in the ass.

Gregoshi
11-29-2002, 07:34
Okay, let's not get too worked up over the issue. This isn't a World Cup match for Pete's sake. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I think we've all demonstrated how little we know about everyone else's part of the world. I now know a little more about another part of the world than I did this morning.

Keep it civil, please. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

BTW, welcome to the Org Celtibero Mordred and Knight_Yellow.

Sephiroth
11-29-2002, 12:29
So can we make any faction playable?Including the Golden Horde?Would love to run down some chivalry lovers with my lack of principles.How do you make the non-playable factions playable?Is it the same for all of them?

A.Saturnus
11-29-2002, 13:12
A good reason for the Scots to be rebel in the game is the fact that they didn`t conquer land outside Scotland (although there seems to have been a Scotish monk who discovered America even before Eric the Red), they were rather defensive, while the Aragones played a role in different parts of the world.
A lot of factions represented as rebels were actually independent nations. I`m Bavarian and Bavaria was - although part of Germany - a nations and would surely deserve a own faction (and it`s capital wasn`t Munic, BTW). Let`s just say every rebel province in the game would deserve to be a own faction, it`s just not possible for design reasons.

CeltiberoMordred
11-29-2002, 13:39
hail to all

First of all, i never wanted to hurt sensibilities, i only said what is my opinion about this topic...

Knight_Yellow says:

>>>Ok here goes celtibero said that the arogons where real good but how cum no1 apart from u has heard of them?

Apart from me? ok... have u ever heard Catalonia? More important than scottish...sure, but i know that this is a game of English for English...i.e, Balears has been erased from the map by the programmers...why?

>>>and i noticed that u dissed scotland and ireland well the scottish held out against english invaders for 400 years and then booted them out completely and are still around unlike ur crumby faction

Aragon did fight against muslims invaders for 8 centuries, and then they join to Castille in the XVth to create the actual Spain...Ignore them and your are ignoring Spain...

>>>>>so can u realy compare a dead long gone forgotten faction to the scotts who where constantly outnumbered but still survived up to this day?.

Forgotten? better say ignored...im not guilty of your lack of knoweledges...i dont care...

>>>no i didny think so what history do u study only ur silly factions i bet. dont be ignorant it cums back and bites u in the ass.

Only my silly factions...well, i think u must moderate your words, u can bet, but its a lost bet... u dont know my knoweledges...what a lack of respect...perhaps i know more about the history of your country that u...i hope a bit of manners here, please.

KukriKhan
11-29-2002, 15:38
Good riposte Celtibero Mordred. Your appeal for manners is well-considered.
And Knight_Yellow, you get points for good use of smilies to indicate the non-personal intent of your criticism.
We all need to remember that this board is international, with many guys for whom English is a second (or third, or fourth...) language. Re-read your posts before clicking that fatal Add Reply button, to insure you haven't unintentionally, or unnecessarily, 'dissed' the other guy's heritage, culture or education. Or if you intend to do just that, as a joke: use lots of smilies. Keeps the peace, you know? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

fodder
11-29-2002, 15:49
Quote[/b] (Sephiroth @ Nov. 29 2002,05:29)]So can we make any faction playable?Including the Golden Horde?...How do you make the non-playable factions playable?Is it the same for all of them?
To make a minor faction playable:
Open the Medieval\campmap\startpos folder
Open one of the text files there-each corresponds to a campaign start point.
Find the Active Factions section. Change FT_MINOR to FT_MAJOR.
Save, play, enjoy.

The Golden Horde is more complicated I think - go search the Dungeon.

I am going to try making a mod based on the reconquista, limited to iberia with smaller provinces and all the kingdoms. Anyone else interested?

Knight_Yellow
11-29-2002, 15:57
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif sory if i have offended any1 but i just dont take it well when sum1 takes hits at scotland or ireland.on that matter qoute can anybody say what the irish or scottish did?:P it aint just me that shows ignorance.
but no denying that most ppl never heard of the arogons before where as just about every1 knows the scottish and irish. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

tarkins
12-02-2002, 02:44
Quote[/b] (Celtibero Mordred @ Nov. 28 2002,20:29)]PD: what kind of History do u study???? only your mother country's???
Celtibero:
America history and europe history.

But Aragon No sorry http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Did you edited your post because I was sure that nobody answer to the question.

Gregoshi:
There is nothings better then a good debat
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Guarda
12-02-2002, 15:53
i think that the aragonese is an importante faction just like many others that should be incluided, the only diference betwen Aragon and Portugal is that the portuguese whem finhish kiking the muslins from the iberian peninsula start kiking the spanish, preventing from being included just like any other Spanish privince, apart from that the Portuguese where the first to conquer the some cities in the north of africa like Ceuta, that now belong to spain, the Portuguese olso conquer and colonize all the atlantic cost of africa, they where the first to arrive to India, China and Japan by sea, and many people bealive that before Cristovan Colombo arrive in America, the Portuguese had already seat foot in Brasil.

Kraellin
12-02-2002, 21:38
without getting into any of the debate of 'my dad can whip your dad', you can turn all the minor factions on as playable. there are already some mods out there for download that do this. i've also turned on the swiss, the burgundians and the russians in the mod i'm working on, and others have also turned on the golden horde.

currently, it's only possible to 'turn on' a faction if it already exists in the game somewhere. it may still be possible to add others, but i dont know how to do this yet. and it may also be possible to mod one existing faction into another by changing names and flags and banners and so on, but again, i havent tried this yet.

right now, in the mod i'm working on, i can play the aragonese, the sicilians, the burgundians, the russians (as separate from the novgorod), the novgorod, the papist, and the hungarians, as well as all the normal playable factions. that means that i have 19 active, playable factions in my game. there may yet be some caveats to this, but so far i've not found them.

check out the dungeon forum for more info.

edit: oh yeah, we also turned OFF all the land bridges, so now walking across water from flanders to wessex, denmark to sweden, sicily to naples, morocco to granada/cordoba and so on. much more fun :)

K.

Lehesu
12-02-2002, 23:29
I, too, know how to change minor factions to playable. Question: How did you get the Burgundians playable? As far as I know(and tried) you can only turn on the factions that are present in the beginning of the campaign; factions that are created in the middle of the campaigns are not playable. If you have found a way around that, please tell me

fodder
12-03-2002, 00:41
You can add the FN_BURGUNDIAN and FN_SWISS factions in the same place you change minor factions to majors. These are the only two i know of. The swiss have armoured pikes for their royal units, even in early.

Lehesu
12-03-2002, 02:41
I know, but the Burgundians never show up in the menu.
Also, I can only play the Swiss in Late

fodder
12-03-2002, 20:27
This does work because i have played a modded campaign like this and can be done for any era.
Add in the appropriate sections:

SetActiveFaction:: FN_BURGUNDIAN FT_MAJOR
SetRegionOwner:: ID_BURGUNDY FN_BURGUNDIAN
PlaceLeader:: ID_BURGUNDY FN_BURGUNDIAN

Same for Swiss

MonkeyMan
12-03-2002, 21:42
Anyway the beginnings of the origional posters mod:

go to early/high or late txt in C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\startpos

I will mainly edit early.txt

find

SetActiveFaction:: FN_ARAGONESE FT_MINOR

change it to

SetActiveFaction:: FN_ARAGONESE FT_MAJOR

for ease of use we will simply replace the aragonese with portugese but allow the game to think they are the aragonese in the background.

find:

SetRegionOwner:: ID_ARAGON FN_ARAGONESE

change it to

//SetRegionOwner:: ID_ARAGON Aragonese

find:

//SetRegionOwner:: ID_PORTUGAL Portuguese

change it to

SetRegionOwner:: ID_PORTUGAL FN_ARAGONESE

find:

AddOffice:: FN_SWISS royal_palace Chamberlain of the Cantons +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_SWISS constables_palace Constable of the Cantons +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_SWISS marshals_palace Marshal of the Cantons +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_SWISS chancellery Chancellor of the Cantons +3 1 0 1 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_SWISS admiralty Admiral of the Cantons +1 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_SWISS cathedral Archbishop of Geneva 0 2 0 0 3 0 0

now copy it paste at the end of the section after the others and replace with FN_ARAGONESE and some more appropriate titles for the offices.

find:

MakeBuilding:: ID_ARAGON Castle3
MakeBuilding:: ID_ARAGON Town_watch
MakeBuilding:: ID_ARAGON Bowyer

this is the buildings in aragon at the start.

Change ID_ARAGON to ID_PORTUGAL

you might want something like

MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Castle3
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Town_watch
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Royal_palace
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Bowyer
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Port
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Royal_palace
MakeBuilding:: ID_PORTUGAL Improved_Farmland

perhaps more if this will be your only starting province.

Go to

C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Loc\Eng\names.txt

find:

@{The King of Aragon}

and change to whatever the Potugese 'King' would be

find:

@{The Aragonese}

&

@{ of The Aragonese}

&

@{ of Aragon}

&

@{Aragonese}

change to

@{The Potugese}

&

@{ of The Portugese}

&

@{ of Potugal}

&

@{Potugese}

Anyway I have to go. Try the dungeon for info on changing your factins flag, and someone else no doubt will fill in the txt file gaps i missed.

Go to crusaders_unit_prod11.txt and place ARAGONESE in any unit you want, for example if you wanted a to have templars associated with them, change:

YES, KHorse ENGLISH, FRENCH Missile

to

YES, KHorse ENGLISH, FRENCH, ARAGONESE Missile

I'm off to lie down.

Kraellin
12-03-2002, 23:20
yup. you cant just change the major to minor. you also have to tell the game the other pertinent data it needs for the faction. it can all be done in the early.txt, high.txt, or late.txt files, however. and, if you just wish to have this in one period or another, just mod that particular era's file. for now, all i'm working on is the early.txt file. i have 19 playable factions and no land bridges and have increased shipbuilding for the AI players (the shipbuilding mods employ different files, however).

there is quite a bit of discussion on this stuff scattered throughout the dungeon forum. you may have to look around a bit to find everything you want. there are folks modding the sprites, the units, the banners, the campaign map itself and other things. the devs also show up in there from time to time with handy tidbits. the game was purposely made to be highly moddable. this is something that CA has been VERY responsive to re the community's wishes and we thank them for it.

K.