PDA

View Full Version : "End Turn" Crash to Desktop WorkAround

svnguyen
12-02-2002, 06:03
This was asked in the Apothecary but I can't post there yet, blah
=================================
The year, 1423.

The Russian hordes have conquered everything they want, and are now just waiting for the campaign to draw to a close. Everytime I hit year-end BOOM CTD

This is really frustrating

Any ideas why this would start happening?

Edited by HopAlongBunny on Dec. 01 2002,19:41
==========================================
Here's my solution I posted on the Total War EzBoard. One person has told me that if also worked for them so try it if you want to finish you campaign that keeps crashing when you hit End Turn

When I first got the crash to desktop problem after hitting End Turn, I contacted Activision Support and they made me go through all these video/sound drivers setting but nothing help. I told them I have all my drivers updated and I even disable my sound card to help debug the problem but nothing I did helped. Then I tried this and it fixed the crash.

This problem only appears after playing the campaign for about 50 or more rounds. Usually crops up when I control about 1/2 of the map. It never crops up during the early stages of a campaign. I've already posted this and sent CA my crashed saved game but I'm pretty sure they won't fix it.

However, think I found the problem. It sounds crazy but bare with me as I've tried this several times with my crash saved game and it has worked every time.

First, never ever save your game before pressing end turn. Also ONLY save the game immediately after ending your turn, but never after you make any moves/production/etc.

Second, to fix the crash to desktop after hitting end turn follow these steps. Go to EVERY province you control and REMOVE all queued up units to be produced. And I stress EVERY province or it won't work. Next after you have removed ALL UNITS from being produced, you MUST SAVE your game. It will not work if you don't save your game first. Then hit End Turn. If it's still crashing to the desktop, go back to each of your provinces and make sure that no units are in the production queues. It's very easy to overlook one province. If you find just one province with units in production, remove the unit from the queue and SAVE the game, then hit End Turn. If you do this it should fix the crash.

From then on, never ever save your game after making any moves epecially after putting units into production. Only save after you hit End Turn. Then do all you moves/production and hit End Turn without saving the whole time. Only save your game immediately after you end your turn.

Gregoshi
12-02-2002, 06:57
svnguyen, welcome to the Entrance Hall of the Org.

I'm a bit confused. Are you having a problem or are you trying to suggest a workaround? I'm guessing the latter. Help me out so I can help you out. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

svnguyen
12-02-2002, 21:28
I'm posting a workaround for a question that was asked in the Apothecary.

LadyAnn
12-03-2002, 03:31
This crashing is annoying and is truly a bug. Thx Mr. Nguyen. It happens to me a couple of time, but by that stage, I almost won the game, so I didn't save manually anymore, but use the autosave feature.

Annie

KukriKhan
12-03-2002, 03:45
svnguyen, I copied your input to Hopalongbunny's post in the Apothecary. Incidentally, I also posted there, saying I'd used a version of your workaround to get past a CTD. So thanks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

See your post here:
http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....ry34996 (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=2972;st=0;r=1;&#entry34996)

svnguyen
12-03-2002, 04:28
Kukri, I read your post in the Apothecary that you think it might be hardware and not a problem with the game. My system is not top of the line but it's pretty decent. I'll post my machince specs so you can compare. Also, you said you canceled all your battles too. I didnt' have to do this, I just had to cancel all unit production from the queues.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/2/2002, 20:43:01
Machine name: SON
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
System Model: System Name
BIOS: ASUS - 30303031
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP1900+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1611MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 112MB used, 1905MB available
Primary File System: n/a
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.1106 32bit Unicode

KukriKhan
12-03-2002, 14:30
Decent system, indeed svnguyen.
My laptop is running a 1G Athlon w/256MB RAM on WinME and a funky-slow 8MB CyberBlade hard-wired (un-upgradeable) vid card.

So I suspect the game told my proc: Here's 90+ changes to make...go, the proc consulted RAM & instructed the vid card to display the map changes/moves & produce all the pop-up screens, which its tiny but brave 8MB couldn't handle all at once.

(Sigh) Life on a laptop: not for the faint-hearted. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

svnguyen
12-03-2002, 17:16
This is very odd. Someone asked me to email my crash saved game to them so I went back and try the saved game. Lo and behold, it didn't crash this time.

The only changes to my system since then was I upgraded my video drivers for my Radeon 8500 to the 2.4 Catalyst driver from the 2.3 version. Also, I changed the AGP Apeture Size to 128 from 32. I only made these 2 changes. Now the save game that was crashing before doesn. Weird.

Before it would do the computer moves, and then said I lost control of so and so province. I click on the checkbox and bam crash. Now works fine.

KukriKhan
12-04-2002, 15:46
Glad it works for you now svnguyen...amazing what updated drivers can do http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif That's ususally the first thing the tech-heads in The Apothecary recommend.

You may have stumbled onto something tho: I notice that of all the pop-up confirmation screens, the You have lost... is the slowest to accept my confirming click. It doesn't crash for me, but does take 3-4 seconds after I click to go away. The others work fine (and fast). Maybe a slightly-corrupted file on your and my system?