PDA

View Full Version : How can one improve the loyalty of Generals?

ninjaboyelroy
12-02-2002, 05:34
Any Suggestions woulld be appreciated. My current crop leave alot to be desired.
Thanks for your help.

Spetulhu
12-02-2002, 06:47
Give them titles, ie make them governors. Build lots of buildings so your king gets the Builder series of virtues, those improve loyalty. Always keep the king in a province that`s in contact with the rest of your empire. Those are the first three things that I`d try.

Gregoshi
12-02-2002, 06:52
Welcome aboard ninjaboyelroy. Good question and some good suggestions from Spetulhu. I understand your problem. The generals I'm getting in my current campaign only seem to excel at brown-nosing the king. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ninjaboyelroy
12-02-2002, 07:00
Do any of the buildings and/or upgrades contribute to the greater loyalty of the units produced? I run out of titles long before I run out of disloyal generals.

housecarl
12-02-2002, 10:00
An emissary placed in each province improves the loyalty of each general. I have tested this out; leaving an emissary improves the loyalty of a general by one shield and after a time by more. Ideally, the king must have an unbroken connection with the general, either by provinces or by ships if overseas.

MonkeyMan
12-02-2002, 11:54
Use a spy to try a few for treason, that'll soon have them kissing your royal butt. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Also make sure you ransom back any that get caught in battle even if you don't want them particularly.

Alrowan
12-02-2002, 15:46
i find that getting your king to lead and win battles increases your generals loyalty... and if you fight with them a lot then they get better as well

Hosakawa Tito
12-02-2002, 16:47
You can also marry a loyally challenged general to one of your princesses. And if you really don't want to trust him, place the general/governor in question into the castle by himself (in case he does get bribed) and put one of your heirs to the throne in the province to keep an eye on him.

ninjaboyelroy
12-02-2002, 21:35
Thank you all for the good advice. It looks like all my provinces are going to get their own emissary ASAP. I had considered assasination but I was afraid if I had disloyal generals already, killing them off might trigger a rebellion rather than encouraging the rest as the old joke goes. I'm playing the Egyptian faction right now so the wedding option was unavailable.
Thanks again for all your help.

Edratman
12-06-2002, 20:19
It sounds like you have a lot of generals with loyalty problems. In my experience this only happens when you do not ransom back your soldiers after a losing battle. You lose a lot of loyalty when you do not pay the ransom for even 1 lousy peasant. Pass on the ransom 3 times and all your generals are down to 1 or 2 shields. Now I always pay the ransom, and have high loyalties even before I get built up enough to spare the resources to build emissaries.

Qilue
12-06-2002, 21:23
If your playing a catholic faction, a grand inquisitor can 'fix' any loyalty problems without affecting other generals and governers.

Dumb question for anyone reading this - How do I strip a general of a title?

DojoRat
12-06-2002, 21:38
Qilue:

Drop an emmissary on him and you'll get the option to strip him of his titles. I usually only do this if I'm going to give him another title to increase his stars or use his great acumen in a newly acquired, richer province. If he's an average Joe I simply disband him.

LadyAnn
12-06-2002, 21:49
From recent thread about princess, looks like it is what the best use of princess: give her to the general would improve loyalty.

There are 1 or 2 builder grade, the lower one adds 1, the higher one add 2 to all generals' loyalty.

Win battle also improves loyalty over time.

Annie

Qilue
12-06-2002, 21:54
Thank-you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif