PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening the campaign...

Lord Donovan The Ruthless
12-01-2002, 20:30
Is it possible to change the end year of the campaign?

Basileus
12-01-2002, 23:50
I dont think so but i think you can edit it so that you can start earlier though, someone else would propably give you a better answer though http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Lehesu
12-02-2002, 04:10
I was surfin the net and saw a mod that added like 100 or 200 more years to the game. Dont remember the name, though. Try searching the net for MTW mods and you'll probably find what your looking for.

Niccolomachiavelli
12-02-2002, 04:10
Look for a thread either here or in the main hall I started called Campaign Length. Question answered by mods. Let me know if it works for you.

Kraellin
12-02-2002, 21:44
there is also a post by one of the devs in the dungeon on how to do this. you'll have to look around cause i've forgotten which thread it's in.

K.

Edratman
12-06-2002, 20:50
If you want a longer campaign, the simpliest mod is to change the start date to an earlier time. Start 200, 300 or even 1000 years earlier. The existing extension mod works fine, but you will enjoy making your own mod a lot more.

Copy your Early startpos folder and paste it back in startpos. Rename it whatever you want. Open the new folder
in wordpad. change the true to false on both cn_predefined and cd_predefined. Change the word EARLY to mod or whatever you want. This will add the mod as a 4th option on your new campaign screen. Now scroll down a few lines and you will see the line SetStartDate: 1087. Change this to however early you want. Then go down a few more lines and change the line early start date to match your new start date. I advise adjusting the start dates for high and late to match so you can get your troop upgrades without waiting a millenia or two.

Now save it and you are set to go for a long campaign. If it doesn't show up on the campaign start screen it means you made a typo. There is a hidden utility that rejects bad mods, so you won't hurt anything. Just remember to make the edits on the renamed copy, although if you don't and make a mistake just reinstall the game.

You will not get the starting princess and emissary with this simple change. To get them also, scroll down to the bottom of the notepad and you will see the birthdates for all factions special agents. For your second mod, change these to match your new start date.

From this small start, go wild and mod everything.

Niccolomachiavelli
12-06-2002, 22:11
Modding the start date also ensures you wont experience *any* of the events, which doesnt matter too much unless if you consider the compass and gunpowder. And if you start a campaign after those events, but set the start date backwards, beware of losing high tech buildings because you wont be able to rebuild the buildings dependant on those tech events.

Which is why I sought an alternative.

Edratman
12-06-2002, 22:20
Good thought, I had forgotten the events. I never modded the start date because I find the campaigns plenty long enough for me. I usually take the partial victory because I get overwhelmed with time it takes to manage a massive empire.
Your mod sjipping the end date does address those issues.

Gregoshi
12-07-2002, 08:27
Welcome to the Entrance Hall, Lord Donovan.

Seems there's lots to consider on the subject.