PDA

View Full Version : Learning MTW...

Ueriah
12-05-2002, 14:53
Hello

I just picked up MTW a few days ago. Quite impressive I've been spending a lot of time in front of it since, and I'm starting to gain a better understanding of how the game plays. I do have a couple of questions that aren't defined really well in the rulebook...

1. Once I assign provincial leadership to a nobleman, does he automaticially govern each turn? Does the productivity of his province increase if he stays in the province and does nothing else for that turn? (ie, he spends the turn actively ruling)

2. Do the provincial buildings cause an increase in the provincial support costs? In other words, if I have a province with a castle and a province with a fort and they both have no troops, will the castle province cost more to upkeep or will they both cost the same?

3. I'm a little bit confused with these Heirs. I was just playing England and the king seemed to be popping out kids pretty regularly... I could have sworn he had some lineage established, but when he suddenly died from illness, the game ended in defeat. Now, I know for sure that he had more brothers then the Jackson 5, so what gives? Doesn't the crown pass to his eldest brother?

4. Is there a way to check to see how many arrows archers have remaining?

5. My understanding of religion is that if the Zeal of the providence is high and the governer has a high piety, the province will generate more revenue, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Swoosh So
12-05-2002, 14:59
Heya

1. yes he governs untill your remove his title (by using an emissary, I think he increases the income 25% per acumen score, he can move or fight without penalty to the province, someone said if he is overseas without a ship link it effects it but im not so sure http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

2. No there are no upkeep costs for any buildings at all

3. Some times a member of the royal family becomes a standard general if his father is not king

4. no

5. No not as far as i know, acumen effects income http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KukriKhan
12-05-2002, 15:01
Hello Ueriah, welcome to theOrg http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Glad you're enjoying the game. 'The fellas' should be checking in during the day, answering your questions.

Swoosh So
12-05-2002, 15:27
Im wrong about the acumen score increasing income 25% its less than that does anyone know the real percentage? 10%?

A.Saturnus
12-05-2002, 16:10
You can know how much arrows an archer has exactly but the small bar in the unit icon shows the ammunition of the unit.

P.S. this and a few other things (so not nearly all things) are explained in the manual.

Gregoshi
12-05-2002, 16:26
Ueriah, welcome

4) You can get a relative reading on the arrows remaining by looking at the bar on the archers banner at the bottom of the screen. When the archer has all its arrows, the bar is all brown. As arrows get used, the brown bar gets shorter.

5) Zeal does affect how many people join a crusade that passes through the province. High Zeal means more people will join the crusade.

Edit: Doh A.Saturnus beat me to the punch on #4.

lordex
12-05-2002, 19:50
Quote[/b] (Swoosh So @ Dec. 05 2002,07:59)]
1. yes he governs untill your remove his title (by using an emissary, I think he increases the income 25% per acumen score, he can move or fight without penalty to the province, someone said if he is overseas without a ship link it effects it but im not so sure http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I remember the manual mentioned somewhere that a governor's presence in his province does matter. Not sure about the details though now that I'm at work. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Quote[/b] (Swoosh So @ Dec. 05 2002,07:59)]
3. Some times a member of the royal family becomes a standard general if his father is not king

In other words, when a heir becomes king, his brothers become regular generals (still carrying the royal bloodline mark though I believe)

LadyAnn
12-05-2002, 21:09
4. Most missile troops has 28 arrows/bolts, only a few has less. www.totalwarassembly.com, in War Accademy section, you can view how much each one has.
It is relatively easy to see your own units' ammo reserve. As other people have pointed out, the percentage of reserve is the bar on the unit's icon.
Knowing the enemies' arrow reserve is a bit more tricky. Like in western movies, people count the shots to know if the other guy is out of ammo or not. The AI is a bit efficient in spending arrows than you, so if your archers can shoot 28 shots, expects about 32-33 from the computer. In a missile duel, my guys always run out of arrows first.

Annie

LadyAnn
12-05-2002, 21:24
I always keep the governor in his province: it is much easier to find him (although it is possible to click on his name on the province info to bring you to his current location, but it's a hassle). The reason is that you may want to check from time to time the Vice and Virtue (V&V) of the governors, perhaps not everyyear, but often enough (I do it every 4-5 years).

I didn't notice any difference if the governor is in his province or is far away, perhaps because I didn't pay attention.

There are a few exceptions to the rule-of-thump of keeping governor where he is:

1. If you have a new province and you expect war. It costs you a lot more if you lose the battle and the enemy capture a governor. Move the governor in if the province is stable;

2. If the governor has high accumen (5 or above, 4 or below don't bother) but he is sort of disloyal (3 or 4 loyalty only, or below), keep the governor with the King.

And BTW, I generally don't appoint anyone having accumen of 3 or below, even if he is a 5 star or above general. Its a hassle to remove his title. Accumen of 4 is not difficult to get. Wait a few years and one will pop up. Accumen of 3 in a poor province (base income of less than 100 fl/yr) is perhaps OK if you want to quicken the assimilation of new province (having a governor lower chance to get rebelion).

Annie

lordex
12-05-2002, 21:39
Speaking of stripping titles, I was surprised the first time I tried it that there is no loyalty penalty other than losing the loyalty bonus from the title itself. i.e. I expected a former governor to feel really pissed off after his involuntarily stepdown. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

seamusmoon
12-06-2002, 00:38
Another trick for stripping a title from a governor is to simply disband the unit..the title immediately reappears in its province with no worries about a change in loyalty. This is extremely useful when upgrading your army fom one unit type to another (i.e from feudal to chivalric men at arms), or when you're disposing of all the low accumen governors you end up giving titles to at the beginning of the game.

ToranagaSama
12-06-2002, 01:55
Quote[/b] ]And BTW, I generally don't appoint anyone having accumen of 3 or below, even if he is a 5 star or above general. Its a hassle to remove his title. Accumen of 4 is not difficult to get. Wait a few years and one will pop up. Accumen of 3 in a poor province (base income of less than 100 fl/yr) is perhaps OK if you want to quicken the assimilation of new province (having a governor lower chance to get rebelion).

I always seek to install Governors of at least 4 acumen. I search all my units w/o regard for the number of stars. 0 stars is fine with me, as long as he has 4 or better acument and the higher the dread rating the better.

For me its all about Money and Control.

This way I don't have to worry using my good Govenor as a General and risk him being killed and losing his Acumen effect upon my income.

Having your Income drop substantially as a result can have significant effect upon your Campaign.

Ueriah
12-06-2002, 01:56
Thank you all, very much. I was wondering what that brown bar was for and I had left the manual at work the other day.
Off to conquest :P

ToranagaSama
12-06-2002, 02:45
Quote[/b] (Ueriah @ Dec. 05 2002,08:53)]Hello

I just picked up MTW a few days ago. Quite impressive I've been spending a lot of time in front of it since, and I'm starting to gain a better understanding of how the game plays. I do have a couple of questions that aren't defined really well in the rulebook...

1. Once I assign provincial leadership to a nobleman, does he automaticially govern each turn? Does the productivity of his province increase if he stays in the province and does nothing else for that turn? (ie, he spends the turn actively ruling)

2. Do the provincial buildings cause an increase in the provincial support costs? In other words, if I have a province with a castle and a province with a fort and they both have no troops, will the castle province cost more to upkeep or will they both cost the same?

3. I'm a little bit confused with these Heirs. I was just playing England and the king seemed to be popping out kids pretty regularly... I could have sworn he had some lineage established, but when he suddenly died from illness, the game ended in defeat. Now, I know for sure that he had more brothers then the Jackson 5, so what gives? Doesn't the crown pass to his eldest brother?

4. Is there a way to check to see how many arrows archers have remaining?

5. My understanding of religion is that if the Zeal of the providence is high and the governer has a high piety, the province will generate more revenue, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hello,

1. Yes, If by provincial leadership you mean Title. Once you assign a Title to a Unit Leader, he then assumes that Office. In the case of a Province, he then becomes Govenor. That Unit Leader will remain as Govenor until he is killed or you strip him of his title.

His Acumen, Vices and Virtues, and Piety, will affect Income, Loyalty and Zeal in the province.

2. No, buildings do not affect costs. But, the number of troops does. The greater the number of troops, the greater the costs.

3. No, in order for the Ruling Family AND the Game to continue upon the death of the King, the King MUST have an Heir. An Heir can ONLY be one of the King's sons, and not necessarily the eldest.

If your King dies w/o an Heir, the Game will end.

So, its important to be prudent and arrange a marriage for your King. If you neglect to do so, the Game will, after a short period, arrange a marriage, for you, between the King and one of his Noble's daughters.

In any event, it is wise to monitor the King to ensure that he is producing offspring, whether they are sons, and if they are Of Age, which is 16. A son cannot inherit if he is not of age, which I presume is what may have happend in the situation you described.

HINT: Its a good idea to monitor the age of your King as the game progress. If he's getting near death and has no heir, or no heir of age, you MUST do something about it

NOTE: Once a King dies, and his Heir becomes the new King and produces an Heir, The former King's brothers are no longer Heirs and become normal generals, though of the royal line.

4. Already clearly answered previously in the thread.

5. No. The Piety level of your Govenor effects the Zeal level of the Province. Low Zeal/Religion can result in Religious Rebellion. Building religious buildings can raise zeal, along with the presence of Bishops.

NOTE: One way to increase Revenue is to build a Trading Post and then graduate to a Merchant, and other advanced buildings along this tech path.

Good Luck

MrJedi
12-06-2002, 02:56
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif By the time I get here, everything's covered...

LadyAnn
12-06-2002, 04:27
ToranagaSama,

You are right that you don't want a good command (having stars) as governor, you only need accumen. The only time where I put as governor of an important province a 5 star general is because the guy is already 4 quilts (accumen) and the province give 1 quilt and 1 star and 2 loyalty. And then I gave him an office title too.

However, I am not so sure about the dread. Dread will reduce the chance of rebellion in your province, but inhibit the happiness so you may not have sometimes the +10 bonus here and there because of that. And governor with high dread tends to develop strange V&V that in the end will ruin your day.

So I tend to search for highly loyal, capable, low-dread, low piety (don't want the governor to join Crusade), non-military guy.

Annie

ToranagaSama
12-07-2002, 13:38
Whatever works.

For me, the only problem I have with v&v is that every now and again, I'll have a wimpy general. Only once, so far, has v&v have been a factor, when my King was a total loser (first time). It was pretty challenging.

Other than the above, no problems. I ususally, get around to building churches and have a bishop in most provinces.

I like Dread I want all my Governors and Generals to have hight Dread. I also, kill all my prisoners unless I need the money which is rare. I hate it when the game decides to ransom prisoners without my say so. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

I HATE rebellions, and since my first campaign they haven't been an issue, though on Expert things get a bit tricker.

So we shall see, maybe v&v has something in store for me

Good Luck Dear Lady and Have Fun http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Alrowan
12-07-2002, 14:32
acuman is a 10% increase, and im quite sure of that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif