PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly jousting  (missing or what )

kyodai-britishbeef
12-09-2002, 21:26
One thing that i think would have made m.tw alot better (it is great already imo) would have been the ability to send your gens to tournaments , these were massive events in medieval times and great honour could be gained from them , it would have been great to have competed in a joust against your greatest rival, and even a 1 on 1 sword combat (as in severance ). this would have added a bit more depth to the game imo .

Gregoshi
12-10-2002, 05:14
Interesting idea kyodai. I think having singles combat goes beyond the boundaries of MTW but the idea of holding a joust is interesting. A key would be figuring what it would add to the game/campaign - florin income? Influence for king? A valour gain for faction knights who win?

Perhaps a joust could work in a way similar to buying a crusade and then place the joust marker in the province to hold the joust. Does it provide a 1 year florin boost to province holding joust? Maybe makes the province immune to attack for 1 year (a great strategic defensive move). There has to be some cost to hold a joust and a potential payoff making it worth while to spend the florin. Of what options I can think of, a 1 point increase in valour due to reputation for knight units of the winning faction might make it valuable.

As for who wins, add a famous knight trigger to MTW similar to the Legendary swordsman event in STW (that's what it's called to start a sword dojo, right?) except MTW can have multiple. All factions having famous knights can participate (send one, some or all famous knights) and some kind of odds based logic to figure the winner.

As always, just thinkin' out loud. Good discussion point kyodai. Any other thoughts about jousts?

GilJaysmith
12-10-2002, 11:48
I have a vague recollection of someone bursting into a meeting sometime in March to say, I can't believe we've forgotten about tournaments and jousting and everyone going, Damn You're right and adding it to the wishlist, but by that point it was pretty unlikely that anything from the wishlist would make it into the game.

In our further defence I'd like to say, er, we were all very busy at the time. And it wasn't us anyway. We weren't there. Who says it was us? Did they see us? I don't think so.

Gil ~ CA

tootee
12-10-2002, 12:28
something for the expansion pack.. maybe?

Brother Derfel
12-10-2002, 12:52
Quote[/b] (Gregoshi @ Dec. 09 2002,22:14)]Interesting idea kyodai. I think having singles combat goes beyond the boundaries of MTW but the idea of holding a joust is interesting. A key would be figuring what it would add to the game/campaign - florin income? Influence for king? A valour gain for faction knights who win?

Perhaps a joust could work in a way similar to buying a crusade and then place the joust marker in the province to hold the joust. Does it provide a 1 year florin boost to province holding joust? Maybe makes the province immune to attack for 1 year (a great strategic defensive move). There has to be some cost to hold a joust and a potential payoff making it worth while to spend the florin. Of what options I can think of, a 1 point increase in valour due to reputation for knight units of the winning faction might make it valuable.

As for who wins, add a famous knight trigger to MTW similar to the Legendary swordsman event in STW (that's what it's called to start a sword dojo, right?) except MTW can have multiple. All factions having famous knights can participate (send one, some or all famous knights) and some kind of odds based logic to figure the winner.

As always, just thinkin' out loud. Good discussion point kyodai. Any other thoughts about jousts?
I would think that Generals involved in Jousts or tournys should risk being killed in order form them to gain either Valour or command bonuses. This i think will represent the battle experience that men would gain from these mock battles and personal combat.

any one agree?

Gregoshi
12-10-2002, 19:24
Not bad. Actually, using generals does have the advantages you mention Brother.

Thanks for the insight Gil. I know jousts won't be part of MTW (maybe MTW2), but it is fun to discuss hypotheticals.

Naagi
12-10-2002, 20:19
Nice cash prize for winning as well as valour for the general would be nice. Also agree should have chance to lose a general during the contest. As even those these were events of honor, stange things happen. Could have a jousting arena building if ya wanted to host these. Could even use these events to lure away high level generals for a sneak attack on someones rear provinces.

Naagi http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif