PDA

View Full Version : Need to Have a Good Cav Attack Unit

Skomatth
12-05-2002, 01:51
I have a problem with there being no effective unit to attack cavalry in MP. Sure halbreds have a bonus to attack cav but their low morale makes them worthless out there on the flanks where most cav battles take place.

Chiv Foot Knights dont have the morale problem but they are way to slow to be effective attackers and they can be easily charged from the back by a quick run-a-round.

Fixing either problem would force more counters in the game to be necessary like swords vs. halbreds. This would in turn open up cav vs. sword counters, which I hardly see today. No longer would cavalry be solely positioned on the far flanks only to be used after the initial conflict has subsided and both cavalry forces signifigantly reduced.

LadyAnn
12-05-2002, 02:10
Read the Jousting Field, I and others were discussing the units that could be used against Cavalry. (Topic: Cav Killer)

Advice from Kocmoc was very relevant, so please read there.

Visit www.totalwarassembly.com, War Accademy Section. Chose v1.1, and chose listing all infantry units. Click on Att.Cav or Def.Cav to sort the table according to who can do the job against Cav. It will give you an idea who can do what, at what cost.

The maths are not quite correct (I have a few problems with interpreting the stats). But it gave you an idea how things are.

Annie

SmokWawelski
12-09-2002, 19:11
It might be that there is no such a clear-cut Cavalry-killer unit. I think that cavalry was ruling over the battlefields until the development of dependable and deadly firearms took place. From my experience, and especially after the patch, Cavalry is deadly, and only by holding it in place and attacking from the side/back you can decimate it.
I have rarely used gunpowder-powered units in MTW but will try it on a custom battle, cause I think that cavalry charge into muskets or something will be not as effective… Of course I can be wrong… http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

Mr Frost
12-11-2002, 12:34
I would think Jannisary Heavy Infantry a good choice if used well in a ballanced army : they are fast and though not strictly speaking anti-cavalry , they are supergallowglass in the attack and fast .
Of course , they are just one unit and costly , but there's my opinion http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif