PDA

View Full Version : Late Almohad help

All_the_Sultan's_horses
12-12-2002, 11:00
Does anyone out there know how to win with the Almohads in the Late Period? they really suck. their one good unit, the infamous AUM, aren't so hot anymore when they have to face Chivalric men-at-arms. or even high valour chivalric sergeants. and their heavy cav really, really suck Ghulam cavalry aren't even a match for feudal knights its actually better getting ghulam bodyguards, while they still have a rather mediocre attack, at least they last for ages

what the almohads lack is a unit that can deliver a real punch in melee.

LadyAnn
12-12-2002, 11:40
Suggestions:
1. Build trade. The AI sucks at manage boats.
2. Move to Egypt. Egypt land is rich.
3. Rely on Mercenaries.
4. Use advantage of numbers. You pay cheaper to produce troops, so stake them up.

Hope it helps. Perhaps not.

Annie

Mr Frost
12-12-2002, 13:00
Also , get rich and bribe powerful rebel stacks {make sure to support them of course , if you are only bribing half the army in that province} .
Flank LOTS , especially with such as Gazi Infantry .
Keep you eyes peeled for opportunites {like a faction disintagrates when the leader dies without heirs} and move fast when you spot one .

I don't actually play late period campain {unless it is starting early , but keep the game going till the late times} , but thats how I would approach your situation .

Alrowan
12-12-2002, 14:27
what ive found is that when fighting the battles, use your speed to your advantage, ive found most muslim factions are blessed with mobile armies, just keep the enemy running, and eventually theyll tire

KukriKhan
12-12-2002, 14:45
Good advice, everyone...way to make a newcomer feel welcome.

BTW, All_the_Sultan's_horses, welcome to the.Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

All_the_Sultan's_horses
12-12-2002, 15:17
Hello everyone and thanks for the welcome. thanks also for the strategic advice. i need, however, tactical advice as well, basically, how to get the most out of the seemingly terminally weak Almohad troops. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Its the year 1426, and I hold france, spain, the maghrib, egypt and england. but i'm currently at war on 3 fronts no one wants to ally or make peace with me. The Germans, the Egyptians and the Aragonese are all at war with me. so were the italians, but i'd manage to kill off the Doge's heirs so that when he died, his faction disintegrated. in almost ALL the battles since i crossed the Pyrenées, i've won only with superior numbers. and barely so, esp against the accursed Swiss.

The most galling thing has to be tt even the Papacy is allies with the Egyptians and Turks, but none of my fellow muslim brother nations would even sign anything with me sigh

YunDog
12-13-2002, 03:10
I know what you mean the turks turned on me B*&%$ds and I was their ally and they launched a Jihad against me (how can that be possible if we are both muslim allies meanwhile the damn Christians wont stop crusading. If they beefed up they diplomacy in this game ie muslims should stick together etc - it would make the game very intriguing - at the moment the AIs foreign policy seems a little random and frustrating.

desdichado
12-13-2002, 03:47
Quote[/b] (YunDog @ Dec. 13 2002,12:10)]I know what you mean the turks turned on me B*&%$ds and I was their ally and they launched a Jihad against me (how can that be possible if we are both muslim allies meanwhile the damn Christians wont stop crusading. If they beefed up they diplomacy in this game ie muslims should stick together etc - it would make the game very intriguing - at the moment the AIs foreign policy seems a little random and frustrating.
YunDog,

On that basis all the Catholic factions should be allied and focused on destroying the orthodox/muslim nations. This is not historically accurate as France & England spent most of their time fighting each other and I assume plenty of other wars between catholic nations occured. Any history buffs out there can confirm or deny that for me.

I agree the diplomacy could be improved but I don't think simply by keeping religious cultures always friendly.

Besides, there are different strands of the muslim faith - Seljuk Turks were early and then Mamluk Turks later - learned that from MTW. Also, Iran & Iraq were at war with each other for a long time recently and they are both muslim but different majority. I think sometimes similar religions with slightly different beliefs engender more rage than a different religion altogether.

Religion never has been or will be entirely rational. Besides in MTW you can't trust anyone and I like it that way - don't have to worry about working out who you can and can't trust http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

HopAlongBunny
12-13-2002, 03:54
I find that all the moslem factions need to use their superior movement. Even Janitors are better if they exploit that fast rating of theirs.

I believe that even Saladin didn't crush the crusades until he first sorted out his friends nearby http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

All_the_Sultan's_horses
12-14-2002, 07:12
well, u'd expect tt sorta behaviour from Europeans http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif , but the muslims were supp to know better...

_Martyr_
12-14-2002, 16:30
The AI in MTW sometimes reminds me of Wilhelm|| of Germany