PDA

View Full Version : I Just Killed a House! Cool!

Azrael
11-29-2002, 08:57
Hey Guys,

I was helping a new player with some tips (hot keys, groupings etc...).

Since we were chatting in game, I didn't want to route his final Unit and end the game until we'd finished chatting.

So when my cursor settled accidently over a house, and had a Sword Icon, I thought Hmmnnn...

I set my whole Army on it and it began to take damage. Eveintually, little flaming torches were being thrown up in the air, around the house, and finally, my Army burned it to the ground (Immensly Satisfying).

This made me think that it would be an interesting element to add to MP play if there were some Objective Based Scenarios to play through.

What specifically came to mind, was sacking a village; i.e. your Army has got to destroy a certain number of facilities, the Defender has to stop you.

Burning houses is fun, and personally, I feel we all don't do enough of it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Any other ideas for Objective Based MP? (Personally, I fear the small map sizes may be somewhat limiting, and I don't know enough about programming to know just how much "enlarging" the map size may affect things like game performance).

Let me know.

Azrael

ShadeWraith
11-29-2002, 14:30
Didnt know you could trash houses in MP. I will try that tonight...may come in handy to routinely destroy houses in the line of advance. In the past I have had several units "get stuck" while trying to advance through a cluster of buildings.

Wraith

PFJ_bejazuz
11-29-2002, 15:17
Having a range of objectives would give the game so much more depth.

A baggage train would be nice to loot.

Looking for the specific town watch building to destroy amongst the village to stop enemy unit production (for example) would encourage hit & run raid type battles.

Imagine it, the archery duels in full effect, the defender is looking to defend more than one front of the town ...

The building in question gets torched & the attacker does a controlled withdrawl.

Now instead of 'Vikings', I'd love an expansion pack which allowed the development of objectives.

LadyAnn
11-29-2002, 21:52
Annie once had a "burning desire". She ordered her men to repeately torch the little village on the path. It was a big mistake: it was raining cats and dogs... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Annie

ShadesWolf
11-29-2002, 23:09
Anybody want to make any maps

with wagons house etc

PFJ_bejazuz
11-30-2002, 03:15
where are the waggons on the map editor?

Dionysus9
12-02-2002, 08:50
Bachs_Gambit 2 has a lot of houses and wagons on it...

you should go and download it and check it out...its very different from the standard maps and gives an idea of what the editor is capable of.

As for burning houses in MP as a strategy (apart from an objective), it usually doesn't pay off. Your men tire as they try to bring the house down, and it takes awhile.

Artillery does it faster, but the cost in ammo is probably not a good trade off.

PFJ_bejazuz
12-02-2002, 13:28
Fair point about razing being of limited use in the 'last man standing' context.

But what I was trying to get at (in my usual inarticulate manner) was the benefit of a move towards a range of objectives to achieve a game victory & the various 'feels' this would give to battles.

ie:
1 - the raid. Find & destroy the 'whatever' building.
2 - the relief column's march. Pass through defender's land. Victory when half attacker's forces exit via opposite starting side.
3 - rescue the prisoners. This would require a new npc troop type of 20 guys chained together (would move like routers but without the morale effect on allies they pass)

I'm confident that there were nearly as many reasons for battles as battles.

It'd be cool if there was a 'scenario editor' to accompany the map editor too. Something which allowed us to introduce a battle with a page of text & then continue to another page of text & accompanying follow-up battle relevant to the outcome.

Mithrandir
12-02-2002, 13:37
Great idea I love it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif.

PFJ_bejazuz
12-02-2002, 14:05
Imagine if the scenario editor enabled the linking of battles with text files supporting the 'campaign story thread'.

The text could offer a number of choices (battle /raid /rescue) & the campaign would proceed in a 'Steve Jackson fantasy book' manner.

Now something like that would make a fair expansion pack. And would appeal to the longterm SP & MP use.

Alrowan
12-02-2002, 14:30
not a bad idea... ill get right on it and start amking some maps... look out for them in the near future

PFJ_bejazuz
12-02-2002, 14:51
Alrowan - you da monkey boy wiv all the bananas.

**GM does cavalier style bow**

Dionysus9
12-02-2002, 17:38
Now that really is a great idea. I'd love to see a "burn the church to the ground" game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif...

PFJ_bejazuz
12-02-2002, 18:11
Levelling farm houses just after harvest.

Burning out specific shacks to put down a rebellion.

Looting the town watch the day after the taxes are collected to fund further mayhem.

Destroy bridges to stop enemy moving troops through region next turn.

we NEED alternative victory conditions.

edit: well OK not NEED but, it'd be nice.