PDA

View Full Version : Ambush given away before battle

Kongamato
12-07-2002, 07:45
In a recent multiplayer game(before I crashed), the player I was attacking had his ambush given away before the battle even begun.

During the army setup phase, I heard the footsteps of a unit being placed on the ground near me and I saw dust rising from the clump of trees to my right. Once the battle began, a unit I sent as recon uncovered his 3 units of Gothic Knights hiding in the trees. I then crashed, http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pissed.gif but if the battle had gone on I probably would have been able to counter his ambush with an unfair advantage.

I believe that the feature I just exploited detracts from the game, and ruined the ambush set by my opponent. If CA is reading this, I hope you guys can get this fixed.

Dionysus9
12-07-2002, 07:56
I don't know if I agree fully that its a major problem. First, you were looking right where he wanted to hide his troops--that should rarely happen. Second, he was hiding his troops right beside your border--kinda risky, and in realistic terms likely to be discovered. Third, you had to use a scout to see if he really had troops there--he could have tricked you into scouting with the intent of ambushing your scout (or at least drawing him away from the real fight) by moving his ambush to somewhere else.

Finally, if he sees your scout coming he should know the jig is up and that he has been discovered.

Alrowan
12-07-2002, 14:34
well look at it this way, if he is planning an ambush, and both armies are deploying early, then you might see some dust and hear some footsteps as the army prepares its ambush, simple... i mean they cant be perfect at stealth.. esp knights

baz
12-07-2002, 15:57
im not sure i like this :s

Puzz3D
12-07-2002, 15:58
At the battle of Patay on 18 June 1429, French scouts heard concealed English archers, who were preparing to ambush the French, when some of the English shouted and made noise upon seeing a stag. The result, in the subsequent battle, was 2000+ English killed or captured to the French losses of less than 5 men.

1dread1lahll
12-07-2002, 21:23
The selection of camels is given away predeploy also (all the belching the do).

Magyar Khan
12-08-2002, 04:40
must be teh stence

does this all not rectify a unofficial patch? one that would not cause version conflicts.