PDA

View Full Version : Faction solutions for the next  Total war

1dread1lahll
12-08-2002, 07:11
In single player of this game you can hire Mercs... would it be so hard to be given a randon selection fo troops to hire instead of faction? The selection could vary, so as to keep intrest in all the unit types, and knowing their abilities.

Kongamato
12-08-2002, 08:08
Well, if I read you right, only allowing a random selection in an MP situation would present a very steep learning curve. One new to the game would have to be well schooled in the ways of warfare and on all of the unitstats to use the units effectively. Also, an ideal combined arms assortment would be difficult to attain, resulting in some pretty one-dimensional armies. This also enters into the great "style-no style" debate. When you remove factions, you also remove the faction's style of warfare as well, and the way the faction does battle with it. Factions are supposed to have a selection of units that work together in their own way to win a battle. When you remove the factions, you will also remove the style of teamwork that the faction holds as its own. Not to mention that every defeated enemy would use the fact a unit was not available as their sole excuse for a loss. Fighting and winning under such conditions would require the acme of skill. Only a few would emerge as dominant, and would probably beat the majority of those who would choose factions, but there would be so few worthy opponents, and too many quitters.

In conclusion, I do not support such an idea as the sole option of army selection. However, if it would be an alternate option, it would be fine with me.

bosdur
12-08-2002, 09:52
Good idea lahl, but balancing units is a hard to solve issue already, I'd solve that problem first before going to random units. I'm thinking of me getting spear laden army while my enemy got many byzantines.