PDA

View Full Version : Scenarios of a 4x4

LadyAnn
12-16-2002, 22:02
I have posted to first post related to the topic in Main Hall. I am moving this thread to Jousting Field by myself.

The question was: seeing a respectable clan as opponent while hardly know the allies, should we:
1. Quit game;
2. Ask the clan to split their team half-and-half to be "fair";
3. Give a good fight
4. All of the above.

The answer is:
4. All of the above

My ally first quit game, then rejoined and asked for a split and finally was convinced to give a good fight.

I'll post some screenshots and present the next scenarios later.

Annie

Puzz3D
12-16-2002, 22:18
It can be tough to loose repeatedly with pickup teams, but I just play it out. Hopefully the newer players learn something from these games, and once in a while the pickup team beats the established team. If I leave a game it's only because I've asked or been asked by someone to join and they didn't make it into the game. There is one other big plus to playing with unknowns. You sometimes encounter a player who's style fits yours like a glove.

LadyAnn
12-17-2002, 00:14
Second Scenario, from same game.

The ragtag armies are assembling. The Right Wing ally announced: "I have all cav, let's attack on Right".

A). If you are center, fairly usual byzantine army, how will you setup?

1. At the back, avoid contact and wait for the cav charge to fail and do a counter offensive. Why waste resources helping a rushing cav? When the opponents are chasing your ally, counter attack on them.

2. At the front, facing right-front direction, whole army concentrate there. This is to take advantage of your Right Flank all cav charge into enemy Van-Left. This also protect your Right wing from being flank by opponent center. Risk is you, as center, get flanked by the opponent's center. Also, you are leaving your Van-Left ally vulnerable.

3. Setting up near your Van-Left ally to give him/her and advantage and attack on enemy's weaker right. This has the risk that your right ally be alone, all cav with no support, facing 2 armies.

B) If you are Van-Left, with an Italian army, seeing there is a good chance the offensive is on the right side, how do you setup?

1. Way back of your circle, in a defensive posture, with intention to buy time and provide support to center.
2. Middle of your circle, in neither defensive nor offenive, hoping to hold the ground.
3. Way front, hoping to create a diversion by attacking enemy's Right wing. If enemy falls for that, you would hope to hold the enemy's Right and Center long enough so your Right will have time to turn around and win the game.

C). If you are Right Wing, Spanish all cav, what would you do?

1. Set up way front with intention to cav-rush the enemy's Van-Left.
2. Setup way back to wait-and-see
3. Setup middle, more to the left, with intention to move all cav to center and overwhelm the enemy on the left side of the battle field.

Army to the Rear-Left usually has no other choice than setting up far front, tilted to the right a bit to move between Van-Left and Center. This army is Byzantine.

These choices I enumerated may not be exhaustive. And the choices made by the rag-tag army may not be the best choice. But the point of this thread is to illustrate the dynamics of a 4x4 game.

Annie

Knight_Yellow
12-17-2002, 00:19
I hate allies who ive never seen before since usualy there noobies who foe sum reason think a 16 gun army is unbeatable then when they die they moan for the rest of the battle...

Or even worse enemies i dont know Gah one time while playing i routed an enemy with ease and then he said i was using a "rout" cheat and then after the battle he said he beat me????

Brother Derfel
12-17-2002, 00:54
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Dec. 16 2002,17:19)]Or even worse enemies i dont know Gah one time while playing i routed an enemy with ease and then he said i was using a "rout" cheat and then after the battle he said he beat me????
If he's that bloody self centered and childish just ignore the swine and sit back all smug in the knowledge that you thrashed him completely. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Alrowan
12-17-2002, 01:32
like i said elsewhere, i always play

even if my ally is a newbie

people dont seem to understand that they were new once as well.. not everyone is an expert at this

BomilkarDate
12-17-2002, 11:04
Of course you can ask a clan to split the team, but whats the point of being in a clan if you can't do some teamplay training together?
I know it can be hard to play a game where you are pretty sure you will lose. I had an unknown ally lately and told him I wanted to shoot out a bit (4 arbs). Just when I had my arbs in shooting range and was beginning to do well in the shoot out, my ally attacked alone to a point where I could not even help. K, I thought thats a new player with not too much patience. But worst of all he started calling me a camper.

Another game I played with a mate and as soon as we were winning the game one of the two guys in the other team started to blame the other one for their loss, and he said it was not fair because my ally helped me.

Or I was able to push one flank back. Now there were two armies at nearly the same point. My arbs kill 10-15 with every shot. And 2 seconds later my teammate on the other flank begins a rush alone. I saw he would be doubled so I made a counter offensive on my flank. But this time my ally in center just sat there watching. I was able to rout one enemy and killed half of the other ones army, then I was overwhelmed. My 100 remaining arbs shot the last enemy gen later and routed 80 men. But all the time the ally on the left flank was moaning that it was all my fault because I told him not to go in. We won though...

If I see such things happen I really know why I do not play too many games without clan allies.

To answer your questions:
A), B), and C) Try to stick together.

I know its no good answer if your allies run in different directions. But it is harder to beat 3 noobs that stick together than to beat 3 noobs - average players that stand alone. Clans stick together too.

Enough moaning done

ELITEofBomilkar