PDA

View Full Version : Another approach to unit balance

1dread1lahll
12-17-2002, 21:59
If not the game at least the units...And unit balance is such a hard amimal to catch....Byz inf and lancers, change their stats or costs and they (like spears) receed into the mist.....only to be replaced by another 'unfair' unit.
Here is a thought then....do away with factions altogether then, and (like in single player) you select mercs for hire at the "Inn" in the unit selection stage.....unit balance wont matter, you hire the best you can get IF they are there to be hired (like single player the selection available would be random). you might have 2 lancers availabe but no byz inf Also ALL the games units could be included in the merc pool.. Mongol heavy cav, Highland Clansmen,...I myself care for the stratagy and could care less for the factions, and would like more units to play with....For those that cry out for a faction though you could take their flag....no need to go into battle with inferior (yet more expensive)troops....unless thats all thats offered to you in the selection stage....

Kraxis
12-18-2002, 01:06
I like the idea about merc battles, but only as a selection.
Perhaps like you get the option to select a faction, or you get to select the merc option. You could potentially get a very powerful army or a very weak one, that should not be forced onto a player. Can you imagine all the whining people would went if they lost with an army they did not like??? We would have 234674587 posts about how unfair the system is and how much is about luck.

But the idea is great.
Do I go for the army I know, or do I chance it and try for the mercs?

Magyar Khan
12-18-2002, 01:36
well if the devs spend time on things than please not this plan. ofcourse lahll i see what u want and in fact u can make it yourself by editing statsfile and concinve people to use them. sacrificing one faction and put all nice units in it could be done.