PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Lag ! We hate it !

Shahed
12-16-2002, 01:33
Greetings All

I read this article at Respawn (http://www.respawn.co.uk/), and thought it's worth posting here.
As all of us hate this issue in MP.

Happy Reading

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Lag....We have all seen it, we all hate it, but why does it happen ?

We have all heard the uneducated players shouting "Ok Who's the 56ker" or "Who's the modem user" when lag suddenly effects them but the truth is that for most games one players connection should not effect the server or the other players on it. Lag comes is two forms, Local and network lag and we will look at both of these in detail today.

Your connection speed is not a guarantee that lag will never effect you. The faster your connection the greater the distance you can usually go in order to connect to a server before network lag starts to have an effect on your game play. Your ping will go up long before lag starts to appear on most ADSL lines. 56k Modem users are effectively restricted to their own back yard in this respect. As 56k modems are a none digital device that suffer greatly from packet loss which seriously effects their connection over greater distances and is a big cause of lag. It also leads to more corrupt files when downloading. The greater the number of hops you have to make to reach a server the higher than chance of lag no matter what type of connection you have. A hop is a computer or router between you and your destination. Each computer will be configured differently and will have different problems. So if one hop must go though a server that's currently out of action then the your destination will either be unreachable or your request will have to be rerouted by your ISP. Which usually means instead of going directly to your server which may be hosted in city near your real location, the new route might go half way around the world to reach the same server. An unreachable host does not always mean the destination your trying to reach is at fault or off-line. Anything in between can effect your ability to join the server your trying to reach. So matter what your connection, any problem between you and your destination does effect you and anybody else that must go via the same route.

A busy day on the net can cause everybody to lag in the game because the bandwidth on some routes is operating at maximum capacity. If the bandwidth is not available then the fastest connection in the world will be reduced to what is available at that time no matter how much you paid for your connection to the net.

The big difference between Analog modems and Digital modems as far as stability and reliable connections goes is packet loss. Digital lines drastically reduces the errors you get over the net. This increase in reliability and effectively doubles your download speeds without having to double your connection speed. For example an average 56k analog modem can safely download 4.5kps but may still suffer packetloss from distance servers. High speeds for 56k modems also bring high risks of packet loss. A 64k ISDN modem or router will always connect at 64k and can always achieve download speeds of 8kps with no packetloss except when the route between the user and his destination is faulty. In which case everybody using that route suffers and not just the 56k user. So you see the digital line produces a much cleaner and safer connection and thus avoids the usual problems analog users suffer from.

An old rule of thumb that appeared in the early days of the net was a ping of 400 to a server means that server is unplayable for that user. Connecting to servers with high pings means you will have problems. Back in the old days a 33k user could get pings as low as 120 and in some cases 90 but today even local servers will usually result in a 200 ping for a 56k user at best. ADSL users may get 90 which should tell you that today's ADSL connections at best maintain the standard older 33k users where used to seeing every day. If you get less than a 90 ping then your connection is better than average. Pings of between 10 and 30 are a good sign that the player is either on the same local network as the server or very close to it.

So you see the reasons for network lag are effectively the distance and number of hops you have to make to the server. How busy that route is at the time you wish to use it and how stable that route is, this means mates on your home network leaching your mp3 files are actually making your own network the weakest link in the change by using up most of your own bandwidth during a game. The same can happen on computers on the net that have recently released a new product that is in high demand. The only factor that really should be considered by all users is pings because this is traditionally the one guide all games give users in respect to response times of a server. As stated above you really should not be joining servers with pings greater than 400 no matter what your connection is because if you do then your the one who will suffer from lag and all the finger pointing in the world will not change that.

Despite what most users like to think, your average game does not need an upload capacity of 256kps or a download capacity of 128kps. Bandwidth costs a fortune on the net and the more bandwidth a game uses the more expensive hosting a game becomes. Also it restricts who can join that game. The nets capacity must try and keep up with the demands users place upon it, right now it is not able to cope well if some big name runs an open day on a primary route between to countries. The entire net suffers. So games transfer as little as possible between computers which is why network code is probably the most optimized code in any game. The skill is getting as much information to move between computers using as little bandwidth as possible. Less bandwidth usage means more players can join a server and play together. Remember the players on the server also need to be able to cope with the information they get from the server about the other players. So if your one of 16 players your computer will need to know about the other 15 players. This could not work if every game required an ADSL connection just to have a 2 player game. So you see the bandwidth you have available and the bandwidth a game uses are two totally different things. Most games are setup for a 56k connection by default, so even ADSL users will not transfer more then the maximum amount of information the average 56k user could transfer.

This raises the question, can you be downloading other things whilst playing games. Well usually not, atleast not with the sort of network cards most users own. Your own cards ability to handle more than one task becomes an issue. Full duplex and half duplex is a measure of your cards ability to send and receive information at the same time but it does not take in to account any other factors. So if you card does handle incoming and outgoing packets well then you may not have a problem, if it does not then you could have a problem doing two things at once. However, if your Network Card is sharing an IRQ with another device then all that may be a mute point because your card will have to wait it's turn when it needs access to data. IDE based Hard drives are known for using up large amounts of CPU time. Modern drives have this down to less than 23% now so things have improved but if can imagine your network cards CPU usage plus your hard drives CPU usage then add the CPU power required by the game and all the hardware it requires to run then you suddenly see another source of lag that effects a lot of people.

Single player games cut out the network card completely so any local lag is purely down to the hardware the game requires to run. If the game does not run smoothly in single player than it will always be worse in multiple. This should be your guide when deciding to host a server of your own. It does all add up and it does all effect the performance of the game online. If you are not careful to choose the right hardware for the role you wish to put your computer too then you can expect problems playing online even with fast connections.

For example a worst case scenario these days that could actually exist would be an ADSL or Cable user with a 600mhz CPU and EIDE drives running with 128meg or less of ram. This combination would produce a 100% CPU hit with ever the drive was accessed because of the EIDE HD's being used. Even if the computer had 1 gig of ram this would not change. The fact that it has less than 128meg means Hard drive access is almost constant so the user suffers from serious local lag.

Another problem is UDMA drives. Whilst they do not suffer the same way as EIDE drives they still have similar restrictions in their usage. All IDE based drive systems where designed to perform 1 operation at a time. This means using them on a server can effect performance which is why SCSI exists and is heavily used on the best servers on the net. SCSI allows 256 operations to be taking place at once so it is much more suitable for servers though the price is usually higher if you wish to buy an Scsi drive.

All of these factors effect performance and any user that does not consider these factors before putting his computer to a use it is totally unsuited for, be it to play games, host a website or host a server for players to join is just asking for trouble. Especially since most IDE/UDMA drive systems can cause corruption of the data on your drive when your system is running at full capacity. SCSI uses little or no CPU time on good cards so data corruption is very rare indeed. The middle ground between the best and worst is usually enough to get by on these days. A good connection with UDMA drives and a fast CPU with lots of ram will run most dedicated servers just fine. If you want to play the game your self on your own server you really need a very good graphics card to make sure your system doesn't suffer from local lag because as a server any local lag you suffer will effect everybody on your server and lead to complaints. So do not think for a second that just because you have an ADSL or T1 line that your server will be fine. It won't.

At the end of day the distance from the server, the type of line you use be it digital or analog and your own computers hardware make the biggest difference in avoiding lag on a perfect day on the net. Most of the time the net is far from perfect so all we can do is use the 400 ping rule and hope for the best. Digital lines half the response time for games, so these days it a good upgrade for all games players to make. ADSL and ISDN are both good digital systems for game players.

56k users trying to join servers with pings higher than 400 is really not a good idea at all. If the user avoids all high ping servers than he really has no problems with the games he plays though lower pings would increase he chances of actually hitting something. Adsl users pointing fingers at 56kers and blaming them for lag are simply avoiding all the real issues involved here. Denying the possibility that their own system may be fault or that a network fault could actually effect even a T1 user enough to effect his game or any server a T1 user runs.

When lag occurs in a game that effects everybody on the server it is usually because the server is at fault or the network it is on is at fault and not some poor guy on a 56k connection. Also the 56ker who suffers from lag may appear to get a lag shield to ADSL users but he also suffers a major problem when he tries to hit anything him self. So whilst he cannot be hit easily, he cannot shoot anything either so all is fare in love and war. The ADSL user is just complaining the 56kers lag is doing so whilst holding a huge advantage over the 56k player already. If you hold such a big advantage over other players and then complaint about less fortunate players what does that make you ?

There is not much point picking on a person because of his computers power or his network connection. Such people are Internet Nazi's that deserve no respect from decent players. Only time will lead to the required changes to our connections becoming common place. The industry it self dictates the pace of change because not all regions on this planet are able to afford the needed upgrades to provide everybody with a T1 line right now. ADSL is not even available in all locations yet and the quality of the service is often less reliable than the average ISDN connection. Some big telecom companies even have staff who do nothing but try and persuade other companies not to embrace new technology just yet. My own Brother in law did that for a while. The reason is simple, the big companies would prefer to make the needed upgrades at their own pace because they know if everybody suddenly decided to upgrade as soon as the technology became available they would probably go bust or be caught out by the sudden demand for something they cannot supply.

So if you are really concerned about lag, the path to enlightenment starts at your next computer upgrade and not in the chat window of some game.

Source:

Lag: OK who's the 56k er ? (http://www.respawn.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=376)

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

DoggFood
12-16-2002, 02:35
This is good, now everyone can't scape goat the 56k'er (like myself) in the game because of lag. But I have to hate who ever wrote this because you should never spend pages explaining a problem without giving a solution to the reader.

DoggFood
12-16-2002, 02:58
16 paragraphs of the problem, one line solution. He should have put alittle more into it.

TenkiSoratoti
12-16-2002, 04:12
Yes finally i can rest i peace

Ive been waiting around for such an article.

giskard
12-16-2002, 05:42
If you really want to know the solution here it is.

1) Carefully choose the parts for your next upgrade to ensure your system doesnt have any known bottle knecks. EG Dont go for a Top of line CPU and Ram if your going to put an old 8meg graphics card in.

2) Configure all your games to run as best you can on your system rather than at max detail just because the option is there.

3) Always join servers with the lowest ping for you.

4) Upgrade your line to the net if your not happy with your current connection.

Giskard

solypsist
12-16-2002, 06:14
if there's to be any lag on the Org is should be in the Jousting Fields

Alrowan
12-16-2002, 11:13
about time someone posted this.. and to think i got the urge to say the same thing months ago in another forum..

a small testimoney, ive played this game over the net with my old 28k modem before, i never told anyone about it, else they would cry, i fought battles with no lag at all, and then after would tell the shocked people.. priceless.. anyway, i play on a 56k and rarly get any lag at all

stop complaining about us high-end pc owners who spent all our money on top systems and not bandwith.. just because we are smarter http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Shahed
12-16-2002, 12:01
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ Dec. 16 2002,05:14)]if there's to be any lag on the Org is should be in the Jousting Fields
Doh Indeed this is a MP related topic. Thx for the move Soly.

Alro I can second that. Lute_SN, plays very often and he has a non-digital connection, I played 3-4 battles with him with 0 lag before. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Well as for myself, I'm on 512K DSL, mainly for faster down/upload. In any case when I hit a bottleneck while surfing, it's just like Giskard has pointed out, no amount of bandwith seems to help, and my browser simply stops loading the page until the jam is cleared.

There is still a lot of work to be done on broadband networks in most European countries.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Alrowan
12-16-2002, 12:07
Australia is thee worst place in the world to be for any broadband.. but thats a whole new thread.. hell a whole new forum

TenkiSoratoti
12-16-2002, 12:24
yup.

HopAlongBunny
12-16-2002, 19:34
Thank you for the post Seljuk Sinan http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Should be required reading for anyone who plays on-line imho. Might cut down on the griping you see in a lot of multi-player games http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

LordTed
12-16-2002, 20:55
In the Uk i rang up BT and asked for them to increase the 'gain' on my telephone line which helps with stability and since I did that about 6 months ago my lag spikes have been much lower.

Alrowan
12-17-2002, 01:36
hmm, thats not a bad idea asking the phone company about it...
but ill be on broadband soon, so i wont have to worry as much

but dont mind, i will never hassel a 56k'er

GilJaysmith
12-17-2002, 11:45
If you have a modem, you could try turn off Software Compression, an option which apparently - contrary to what you'd think from its name - makes things run slower.

Before the patch, hosts of any nature, but particularly on modems, suffered a lot because they kept sending the hosted game's description (a few hundred bytes) to everyone who could see the game list in the lobby... even if the game was in progress at the time. So the more popular the lobby and the slower the host's connection, the slower the battle would get.

This shouldn't happen so much in the patch because after the initial game data broadcast, the host switches to just sending a micro-update to each machine in the lobby, just to say how many people are in the game and whether it's still joinable. And once the game hits the battlemap, the host stops broadcasting about it totally, which is why it disappears from the game list.

So you probably now can't blame a 56K modem for lag when hosting, and you definitely can't blame it when used by a non-hosting player. That's what I think.

Gil ~ CA

Alrowan
12-17-2002, 15:05
there we have it, a word from gil that just makes the point even more

good stuff

baz
12-18-2002, 01:37
personally i think the lag factor compared to stw has been the greatest improvement in the game...lag now is very rare even in big games with 56ks...greta work CA http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif just a shame the foyer is soooo buggy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif