PDA

View Full Version : Valour/Weapon/Armour Upgrade

LadyAnn
12-03-2002, 23:31
Is there a rule of thump, like percentage-wise on how much it costs a unit to upgrade in valour or weapon or armour?

Annie

Crandaeolon
12-04-2002, 00:58
Valour +70%, Armour +38% and Weapon +33% to the current price IIRC. Can't remember if these were for custom battles or multiplayer or if both are the same. Most likely they are.

Puzz3D
12-04-2002, 01:26
Upgrades cost the same in custom and MP. However, ranged units will not appear to follow the 70%/38%/33% cost structure, although, they do. Ranged units have that portion of their cost attributable to their ranged weapon removed from the base cost before the upgrade percentage is applied to compensate for the lack of ranged fire improvement with upgrading. This makes upgrade costs on ranged units less than what you would expect from looking at their base cost. Single player campaign battles alter the upgrade costs of ranged units to an incorrect value, and that's the bug which causes players to drop if they go directly from single player campaign to MP without a restart.

Since upgrade costs are higher than the actual percentage combat improvement they give to a unit, you have diminishing returns on these upgrades. This has made the units with better base stats preferable. However, certain units simply need valor upgrades to raise their morale up enough to have a useable unit even though it's very expensive.

LadyAnn
12-04-2002, 01:42
Thanks guys.
In order to really compare units in MP, one must take into account the costs. The above clarification helps.

Annie

Dionysus9
12-04-2002, 02:26
I also forget:

one upgrade of Valor increases not only morale (+1) but also armor (+1) and weapon (+1)? or is it attack +1/defense +1?

Gah I cant remember.

Kraxis
12-04-2002, 02:31
1 Valour = 1 attack (called melee), 1 defence and 2 Morale. No Armour is added and that is why the Armour upgrade cost more than the weapon upgrade.

Dionysus9
12-06-2002, 23:22
Ahh... ok thanks Krax, that helps. I've found that V3 Alans will fight for as long as I could expect, and they have base morale of 4. So, to overgeneralize, I will say 10 morale is a good level for troops you wish to hold for a long time.

Thanks.

vexatious
12-18-2002, 20:32
So an armor upgrade effects both defense and armor? Also, as I understand it, armor only effects a units resistance to missile attacks. Is this correct?

Crandaeolon
12-18-2002, 20:36
Yep Vex, it's correct.

vexatious
12-18-2002, 20:45
Thanks.