PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Features

AMPage
11-24-2002, 01:59
Which would be your favorite? Even though i think all of these should have been in the 1st STW. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 02:02
i miss

able to do a online campaign, even tho a simplified form

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 02:03
and being able to field broken down units

The Black Ship
11-24-2002, 03:06
Sharing units is best IMHO, how many times has your ally brought the wrong troop type (or you have) to defeat his man?

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 03:12
well black, thats teh secret of multis, u must work togethger to solve that. there is not really something like "your man"

tootee
11-24-2002, 04:17
I think being able to see what your ally is buying is good, with option to "correct" any buy after he clicked ready. Pretty helpful to coordination between allies, as well as spotting possible "mistakes" by new-comers. And being able to share florins give greater flexibility in gameplay as one ally can pick a real cheap decoy army, while another an expensive strike force.

You have my vote on that one.

AMPage
11-24-2002, 04:46
I know a multiplayer campaign most would really love so i left that out as well as some others.

Out of these i wanted to see if people liked them all about the same or had one that they favor out of the others.

Blackship,
Yup, that's really anoying. It would be nice to share control of your units or maybe certain units in your army. It bothers me when an ally has units just standing right next to a nice flank attack that he dosn't see. This would allow better teamwork and give you something to do if your routed off the map and don't feel like watching for the outcome. And of course this would be an option to allow sharing control of units, which the player can turn off/on at anytime.

tootee,
Yup, it would be very nice. Especially when you have newbies that pick all valor 0 troops with 1,000+ florins left over. If an ally dosn't want to cooperate during troop selection and picks all valor 0 troops, whatever florins left over should go to the next ally.

Of course there would be more to these things, but i'm not gonna go into the details. You get the idea of what i mean. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

CBR
11-24-2002, 04:50
Well I would love to have more fog of war as the minimap/radar is showing too much IMO. And to have several unitsizes to pick from instead of just one.

CBR

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 05:04
yup for me minimap shows to much,

i always tell the puppy wolves

"if u cant find a sheep on the map try the minimap instead..."

barocca
11-24-2002, 05:59
all except NOT Timers for deployment and picking units

random map would be good, BUT may be beyond the abilities of the game,
such a map would have to be transmitted by the game to each player,
this would take some time, and may slow gameplay...

barocca
11-24-2002, 06:03
also
Able to customize your own colors/banners for multiplayer
This "may" alreadybe possible, check with the Dungeon Crew,
although i am uncertain where the colour tables are stored we may (only may) be able to change those too...

AMPage
11-24-2002, 06:40
barocca,

The reason i brought up timers is cause you have people that take ages deploying/picking units. It's really annoying waiting about 8+mins for one of these things.

I think a random map generator would be easy to add and only take secounds. The Age of Mytholgy demo i downloading a few days ago is based on this when playing a custom battle there are no premade maps. I assume maps are random for multiplayer also, just like AOE was. The host would just set the settings for it such as completely flat,flat,small hills,medium hills,huge hills,costal,bridge,castle and the season/terrain. When i played other games multi that had this, it was simple and didn't slow anything down.

For custom colors/banners for armies i would like to see added in the game. When logging on to play multiplayer you are givin the option to create your own color/banners and are saved to which ever name you are using. When joining games you will have your own color/banners and players may have the same ones. I get this idea from Homeworld where you could set your own color for your ships, which was very well done. This may be confusing if everyone has the same color, but you could have flags on units that show just for you who is who or something of the sort.

These are just a lot of little features that could make the multiplayer experience much more enjoyable. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Postino
11-24-2002, 08:59
i dont like the cross allie control of units at all.
i dont much like the observe what your allie is buying either.
if you want to coordinate, communicate i guess i am more iron man in that aspect.
timers would suck.

AMPage
11-24-2002, 09:39
Yes, i'm sure some people wouldn't want to share control of units,share florins, or allow allies to see what they are taking, that's cool. There would be default options for these, since i know lots of players would want this. The default for viewing allied units would be on,but you could have a box that you could check to disable it. The default of sharing florins would be off, but if a ally has picked an army and has florins left over they should still go to the ally/allies. You would also have a box you could check for this on/off. It would show a list of your allied players and all you do is check there name and type in a florin amount to send to ally/allies. The same system would apply for sharing units during the game and the default for that of course would be off.

Some people are independant with those things,but i've come across almost no one online who wouldn't like being able to do one of those things.

I'm surprised some people dislike the timer option for deploymen/picking troops. I've never found someone happy waiting on a player or more over 8+mins. If someone takes too long i see people start yelling or bitching, but not always in a bad tone of voice. It would be nice to have like a 5min timer for both, that should be plenty of time. When the time runs out deploying units, his army gets deployed.when the time runs out picking units, any florins left get randomly used up in his army.

I certainly do not like forever on someone thats really really slow, so i think a timer would be nice with a fair amount of time.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

barocca
11-24-2002, 10:29
I can understand the frustration aspect of waiting,
selection
but even i have taken ages to select an army on occaision, maybe i am checking valour and weapon increases, is it worth taking six of xyz unit type, i know they will cost more - perhaps i can take 2 lesser units and upgrade them,

the longest times i take are selecting for a rematch where my ass has just been handed to me on a plate, and i know my default armies will not be capable of taking out my opponent.

deployment
not always as easy as it seems, i often find hills change the formation of the unit, and i have to find a flat spot, draw the unit, and then pop it into place to get the desired result.

I cannot support timers.
(i'd be one of the people "caught out" by them) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

HOWEVER,
Random Maps,
your mentioning Age of Myth brought another random map generator to mind, the Civ based generator, where a "seed" number will always generate the same map.
Such a system would require only the "seed" to be sent to all other players, quick and eficient,
ok, medieval will require a long seed, height, contours, buildings, trees, obstacles and the like, but even that would not take as long to "send" as a large complete map...

an idea for the wish list.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 16:29
well amp concerning the timer button, what would u think would happen if someone needs several minuts but teh game started before he picked all he wanted? he will quit teh game.

we would be helped more if teh game just remembers your last army. and if the florin amount exceed the allowance just make the flroinnumber negative and red so u must sell units to match teh allowance.

remembering teh last army used, or maybe u can pick them from a premade list, armies u made in costum battles being able to choose online. that would save time for everyone...

AMPage
11-24-2002, 18:47
Well it is frustrating waiting on someone taking a long time to pick his army/deploy. Some people take up to 10mins deploying, where if i were in there spot on the map it would only take me a few mins at most.In fact i don't even need to setup my army and can just hit the deploy button.It's sad that sometimes i'll go take care of something, that takes 10mins or more and when i come back someone is still deploying/picking units.To have unlimited time for these i think is just crazy.

I know maybe newbies need more time or if your in trees,castle or on a hill you might need more time. Also dragging lines in trees and on hills, sometimes units go everywhich way, just like in stw, which was never fixed.It still only takes secounds to correct. I think if you need over 10 minutes to deploy/pick units, something is wrong.

BTW, it's only a timer for picking units/deploying and not how long you have to fight the battle. So, if you need a good amount of time that's cool, but not up to the point where everyone is waiting on you and starting to get a little disturbed by it. So, i think maybe a 10min timer would be fine to start, but i think even thats to much. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

And about games remmeber your last army pick, that would be helpful. I hate have to repick my army over just cause someone dropped out. You should even be able to start picking your army when you join a game. The timer for that would start when the game is filled and the host clicks ready. Well, of course the host could always have the option to turn it off/on and change the time on it.

MagyarKhans Cham
11-24-2002, 18:54
well already know what will happen if u use the timer for lets say 5 mins. others will/may use all that time cuz it was given to them.

maybe someone likes to piss u off when taking 10 mins http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

ShadesWolf
11-24-2002, 19:03
I like this. This is a good idea.

Voting for what we want is a good way to show what we really want.

Shared money is a good idea, and being able to setup more than one force in an area of the battle field.
I would like to ability to assign some of my units to another player. If they have dropped, or to give them some reserves. This is a nice idea.

I personally would like to see online campaigns. With the option of user created maps.......

AMPage
11-24-2002, 19:09
Very true to that magy. I'm sure some people would use up all there time just to piss people off.

If someone were to do this to me i would sure he pays big time. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

It's still better then having someone pissing you off with unlimited time. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

baz
11-24-2002, 20:22
i like shared deployment, it would encourage better game play rather than 3 seperate 1v1's http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kraellin
11-24-2002, 21:24
i proposed the idea of macros for army setups way back in stw. it's still a good idea. it shld be easy enough to do...sorta like swapping stats are, but do it in the army selection.

transferring player made maps to the other players is another one i suggested way back when. that one is very simple to implement, but it does add time to the whole process of getting a game going.

random maps and map generators is also a good idea.

and here's a new idea for you, inspired by this thread. let's say Amp starts a game, but instead of waiting for everyone to arrive in the setup, Amp could start the game with a pre-selected army of X worth in florins. he could also set parameters for how much of a plus or minus he was willing others to have in florins against him. magy hasnt joined amp's game yet, but also has an army already selected for play (or could load one up from a macro). magy then 'challenges' amp by joining amp's game. both already have their armies selected, so you'd just go directly into launching the game.

there could be lots of variations to this and i wont bother with those at the moment. the idea is, this is a match-making thing. amp has a pre-made army he wants to play. magy has a pre-made army he wants to play. both have set parameters to allow a variation of a florin amount, plus or minus X number of florins, that they are willing to allow for the game to start between them. this could even lead to not even knowing who your opponent is going to be. you pick your army, pick the florin deviation amount and whoever in a list is also 'ready to play' and fits within those parameters, joins the game. this could be done also with teams and team deviation numbers, such that a player could say, i have 2 teammates, our total florin amount is X and we'll allow any number of opponents against us providing their total florin amount isnt plus or minus this amount. you might also have a paramter for allowing plus or minus X number of units as well as the deviation for florins.

now THAT would give you some variety of play and unpredictability. add in random maps and you could get some very interesting battles.

K.

Dionysus9
11-24-2002, 23:04
I want em all, but if I had to choose one I'd like control over dropped allies armies. This would make drops far less of a problem.

LittleGrizzly
11-25-2002, 03:39
the problem is id be screaming at my newbie ally to drop and when he asks for tips id say pressing escape then enter is a cheat to make units better.....;)

i like mosta the features k2 liked the ideas cept not nowing who ur playing i pick games based on host usually as i dont for example like a 99999 seige game whereas some ppl love that....

Kraellin
11-25-2002, 21:27
and, adding to my above thread, if you really want to spice things up, let's say amp picks a florin amount, picks his army AND launches the game, just him, all by himself. he is actually taken onto whatever map he picked and sets up. he IS the defender. he can move around, do whatever he wants. any player joining amp's game has been given a florin allowance based on what amp set up and maybe a plus or minus deviation. the new player, let's say magy, picks his army and then picks an edge of the map to come in from. the attacker picks the edge. he deploys his army IN the red zone of that edge, all without amp being able to see which edge or the deployment zone and since magy is IN the red zone, amp cant inadvertently stumble onto it. magy then hits his 'begin battle' and off he goes. amp must then adjust.

or, perhaps you say that amp does get to know which edge after magy has picked one, but before he's hit 'begin game'. this would be like having scouts out and knowing at least which direction your opponent is coming from. this gives amp a little time to re-position while magy is still deploying.

another addition, and i think this has been suggested before, is to KEEP whatever portion of your army you have left after a given battle. this becomes your new army for the next battle. it's a round robin sort of thing. after each battle you get to keep whatever men you have left and get a new X amount of florins to rebuild it with. the men keep their valor upgrades or degrades from the last battle, but you could use your florins to patch up a unit or buy new if that was needed.

each player playing with this method would be fair game to every other playing this method. games would be on the basis of a challenge perhaps or maybe just rotate who plays whom. or, you could just leave it as an open thing with no mandatory challenges or forced games. doesnt matter much. but it would be a great method for tournaments. set up a bracket, play your game, you win and fix your army with X florins and play your next game using essentially the same army. if you run out of men or lose, yer out. as long as you continue to win and still have men, you move on. an excellent way to do a tournament.

K.

Orda Khan
11-25-2002, 22:20
Common deployment. Also I like the idea of joining a game and picking your army before it's full.
Hmmmmmm, shared control of allies units? This could just as easily amount to your ally pinching one or more of your units to shore up his creaking line, leaving you to take the thumping that was coming his way.

Corner camping, redzone hugging...most honourable opponents don't do this. If they do and you object, don't play them.

Usually I join a game because of 'who is hosting it'. It is nice to be assured that the people in the game are not going to quit because they suddenly have to go in 5 minutes http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/shock.gif

I posted in the past about the mini map showing too much, I'd like to get rid of it.

Generally I'm quite happy with the maps but they are too small. I like to have to march and find the enemy. We need more space, I've seen a battle start with the enemy poised about 10 yards in front of my ally http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif Now that's just plain silly.

One option not listed is to make all the units available worth picking, at present we get about 60% of the units available actually being fielded

........Orda http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif

AMPage
11-26-2002, 01:48
I like what you said Kraellin

Now from what you said and what im thinking of we could have something like this...

The setup...

The host creates a game setting up the number of players, x amount of florins, and map. Using a random map generator to create a new map, which transfers to those who join and they can see a quick preview of the map. There will be map info icon you can click on, giving you a small pic of what the map looks like or radar and tells terrain,hill amount,tree amount etc..Now once the host has done this and picked his army, he and any other players launch into the game.

Deployment...

Once a player gets into the game he picks an edge of map(redzone) and his army appears there ( no setting up). You could split the map half an half, one side for attackers and one side for defenders. So, players can't come in on the map right next to the enemy, unless both are right next to the border line. Once the aquired numbered of players join, whatever it's set to, the game starts. So, your free to move around in your half of the map while waiting for people to join.

During the battle...

The host could allow additional players to join while the game is being fought. Any enemy units routing or withdrawing won't effect a new player coming in from the redzone. Now during the battle allies have the option to share units, *they don't have to*. You can even break apart your units or put together broken up ones. You can even view players stats and latency during the game.

End of battle...

The player/players that weren't routed off the field keep there units they had left over. They can repair damaged units to full strength or just a little. Units that gained valor during the battle can be repaired to full at a lower cost. So, lets say a unit started out at 100men valor 0 and at the end had 20men valor3, you could repair the unit to full with a small amount deducted( as like a reward for gaining valor with that unit). The amount of florins gained for someone that lasted a battle could be based on how much it is to repair his army and an addition to how many kills he had.

Continuing the battle...

Now a new battle starts and the players from last game of course stay in the battle. It's a new randomly generated map, so players from last game might want to cash in some of there units from last battle, depending on what the new terrain is like. Players will gain florins based on amount of kills, generals captured and units gaining valor, so armies can become stronger. Now to keep this going we would need to be able to swap hosts, since the host will mostly likely leave when defeated or we could have servers provided by mtw(yea right http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif)

Additional stuff...

You could have armies start out at all valor zero, so the only upgrades that are bought are weapons and armor. Once a unit has gained valor you then can raise those units to the valor that was gained(example at end of a battle a men-at-arms went from valor0 to valor2 all men-at-arms units can be bought at valor2). You could have generals being the main key in the game not only helping with moral, but if he dies you can't go on to the next round. And finally rounds could be 4, all the seasons.

This system would be great for also free for all games and ranking.

All this would improve multiplay a lot, but it's just a dream...
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Dionysus9
11-26-2002, 09:19
I like that idea Amp. I too think that currently generals are undervalued by the game. If historic battles, when the general fled, the battle was over.

I dont think you see too many battles in history where 90% of an army is destroyed + the general, and yet 10% of the army decides to stay and fight. The king is dead, the day is lost.

Kensai generals were fun.

I like the idea of a continuing multiplayer battle with more fluidity and extended campaigning (not really a campgaign game, but more like campaigning with an army). Everyone starting at V0 would be interesting. Some crazy routs i'd bet.

Keep dreaming man, maybe CA's competitors will pick up on these free ideas we are providing and motivate them to make your dreams reality.

Kraellin
11-26-2002, 22:04
amp,

ah, good, we're stimulating the juices :)

i like the idea about the generals. general dies, end of your campaign.

i like the idea of starting all units at valor 0 (or some other fixed value so that you cant 'buy' valor) and you simply earn it or lose it on the field. my only difference here would be that ALL of your replacement men you buy also come in at valor 0 and are added to the existing unit, regardless of what the existing unit is showing as its current valor. remember, the game already tracks EVERY SINGLE MAN'S VALOR currently, so it really doesnt need to be that the replacements come in as the current valor of the unit. it just adds in valor 0 and re-averages the overall valor of the unit for the display.

the florin amount for replacements could be done several different ways. when i stated this i was thinking of a very small fixed amount, like 25% (or less) of the original florin amount allocated for the game. in this wise everyone gets the same amount of florins for fixes. it's just money sent 'by the king' to repair your units, and not money won or pillaged. this would mostly lead to a diminishing amount of men over the entire campaign, which is what i intended, so that in a tournament situation, you not only have to think about your current game, but also about what you're going to have left over for the next one all thru the campaign. thus, it gets to be a last man standing sort of thing for a campaign...can you even make it to the end round, and if so, are you only going to have 1 man left or 1000 with which to fight another opponent who has also had to manage his kills and have something left over to play with.

if you reward based on kills or something like that, you're going to get some very lopsided situations, whereas if every gets a fixed amount to use to fix up their armies, it becomes more critical to keep your deaths low while still offing your opponent. either way would work; we're just emphasizing different aspects by rewarding, or not, certain things you've done in that game. i'd be happy with either.

the other reason for just using a fixed amount of florins, is that if you're going to be playing an opponent with a 'new' army, he wont have any of the valor upgrades that you've won in battle, so if you get enough florins to restore your entire army to full, it's going to be a very lopsided battle of 0 valor versus seasoned veteran army. not good.

and one of the caveats of this is going to be the guy who uses 2 computers to pump up one army while he routs the other off the field, which is why i suggested using this for tournament play where that would be harder to get away with.

i also wouldnt just divide the map in half for deployment. this can still lead to some almost-on-top-of-each-other deployments which is kinda silly. if you're going to do it that way then do it like someone else suggested a while back and make it thirds, where one side is for one team, the opposite side is for the other, and the middle third is a no-man's land.

like i said a year and a half ago, the potential in this game is incredible. i can easily see 3-6 add-on packs for mtw alone before they ever go to the next major game in the series and i'd happily pay for every one of them.

keep them ideas coming, amp. i love reading your ideas, even if i tend to alter or slightly disagree with some of them. they often inspire ones of my own. (btw, i think i finally understand your round map idea and yes, it would work, but how do you determine when and where units would rout? :) (prolly better answer that in the other thread :)

there's obviously a lot of possibilities here. i know magy made some suggestions to this sort of stuff too and i may have even ripped some of his off. i know i've seen some similar threads on this topic before and i hope those other folks join in here.

K.

MagyarKhans Cham
11-27-2002, 00:40
one day dreams come thru amp, i foresaw a game like this approx 16 years ago and here it is. lets just hope we dont need another 16 years.

btw i wonder why u never played the questing contest

AMPage
11-30-2002, 11:45
This is all just a big wish list wanting to have these new features, so i guess i'll have some fun with it.

Kraellin,
I see your point that armies would get lopsided if florin bouns were based on kills and generals taken. In a way you already have this online when you have 3members of a clan vs 3newbies or whatever. The florins per side are the same, but skill wise it's very lopsided. I know they could increase the florins for the other side, but you never see that. So, i'm sure players are use to fighting armies that seem a lot stronger then theres even though it's just the skill of the player or being used to getting double teamed. It can also be very rewarding to beat army worth almost twice the amount of your army and embarrassing for the other player if the stats of game are shown for all. You could also have different lvls for newbies and experienced players. Your way is just as good, so either way wouldn't matter to me.

MagyarKhans Cham,
I've came across only a few good strategy games so far for the computer. MTW is my favorite because i just love this type of warfare and the other medieval type games either don't have 3d or good gameplay like MTW. I hope i'll come across a medieval game sometime that has awesome 3d graphics, gameplay, multiplayer support, and much more. I hope i don't have to wait 16yrs for one. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Adding to the wish list for MTW...

some of these i have mentioned before...

1. be able to lock teams
- players joining a game appear in the middle "shown as netural"
- a player selects a team number and can lock the team to keep players for joining
- example a player selects team one and is the leader of team one and can lock the team as well as kick players off the team

2. new weather system
- no day picking or day picking takes place before the game starts
- if there is no day picking then the weather in a game comes and goes a lot faster not lasting the whole game

3. set florins per player
- host of game sets florins per player so there is no rehosting a game just because there aren't enough players to join and the host dosn't want huge amounds of florins per player
- host can change florins per player while hosting *not just each side* *each players florin amount* (good for giving newbies on a team an advantage)

4. change settings without rehosting
- host can change settings while hosting and hit accept where it will then update on the list

5. view settings in the host screen
- players can view the game settings not just outside where you join a game but also when you have joined a game
- settings will also show who the host of the game is

6. mixing units
- units on top one another don't move or not as fast
*very annoying when allies move on top of your units and your units start moving all over the place and sometimes out in the front to get shot at and you don't even notice cause your busy somewhere else*

7. An infromation menu in the battle
- keys Y and T flash on the battle screen your 1st few times playing online then are just in the menu *helpful for newbies*
- displays who the host is, players kills/losses, players troop amount, players latency, dropped/defeated players
- also declare war on allies in this menu and ally players
- remove the attack ally option when clicking on an allied unit by mistake

8. you don't have to select a unit to view the destination of your units when pressing the spacebar
- you just press the spacebar
- shows allied troops also

9. dragging lines
- no gaps between lines *have to drag lines twice sometimes*
- formations aren't kept when dragging lines so you don't get messed up lines

10. better interface
- better looking
- able to create sub-rooms
- room that displays games being playing, open, and finishing
- a replay room *needed for showing those who call you a cheater why they routed and for showing tatics*
- a help room *shows tips for newbies, key commands, and how to play*
- when a player is afk it shows it next to the players name and not in the chat
- able to click on a game thats being played and veiw the current stats of it *show who is in it and kills/losses*

11. deploying
- you can't deploy hitting enter, you have to click on deploy *prevent players from deploying by just trying to type and hitting enter*
- able to redo deploy also long as someone is still deploying

12. trees
- to reduce lag from trees be able to press a key that removes the trees showing just a colored area where they are
- dragging lines in trees made easier
- units have a small view in trees, area around them fades out

13. speed control of games
- players can change speed of the game *host accepts changes*

14. zooming
- can zoom out more then just by pressing the * key

15. downgrading units
- able to decrease the armor of units *good for desert maps*

16. more options
- host can set limits on units allowed instead of having a price increase after the 4th unit picked
- host can set fatigue for units and how fast they fatigue in weather conditions

17. day picker
- if we are gonna have picking days for attackers it displays who is the day picker *had a player not pick the day and we didn't know who the picker was*

All these features and fixes/changes would make a great for a multiplayer expansion for MTW
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mithrandir
11-30-2002, 18:51
Aww common people

REINFORCEMENTS ONLINE

definately cool, it'd add something unexpected to 2vs 2 and more games http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif.

AMPage
11-30-2002, 22:43
It's about time someone voted for reinforcements. I guess i thought i would see more voting for features. Hmmm...maybe it would be better to focus on something else. :mercy:

Now that i've i have to put up with people dropping much more then i expected. If i had to really, really just pick one of those features on the poll it would be taking over dropped allied troops.

Oh, look. Someone voted for timers. I guess that person got pissed off, waiting on someone to pick army or deploy. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Back to reinforcements. Now wouldn't be great to buy them online. It would help with spending large amounts of left over florins, since these upgrades are madness. It would increase the gameplay a lot. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Putting limits on reinfrocements could be done like this. If your general dies during battle, you can't bring in anymore units to the battlefield. You could have a max 16slots for reinforcements , or have caps on units to increase the chances to buy the much unused units, in this case you would problay be able to buy 32 reinforcements or more, if you wanted to.

You could have a reinforcments tab on your battle screen. Just click on the tab and it brings a menu out showing a list of your reinforcements * can display maybe a max of 8 units at once with arrow keys to cycle through them*. You pick your units you want to bring in and place a marker on the map, hit accept.

Adding to the wishlist...

18. no rubberband on units
- units set on engage at will, will all try to engage and not dance around sometimes when fighting
- if this were taking off you could have attack area options for your units. Instead of clicking on enemy units, you just set the unit to attack area and click near enemy units.
- no rubberband on units will help them move around buildings and big artillery better.*units march around instead of just going through or attacking an enemy right infront on them on the other side*

19. ralling troops
- troops rally faster *when a rally flag appers the unit rallies and you don't have to click the rally button.
- you can set markers on the map for troops that are routing, that if they rally they march to that location

20. New battlefield playing style
You have places of control and no attacker/defender. There will be an area on the map you can occupy. When you control one of theses spots you slowly gain florins. You will have a florin bank, which you can spend or transfer/share with allies. You will have a reinforcements tab, which you can scroll through and pick your units to buy. To make all units usable you can have it where you can only pick weak troops 1st. And once picked and used up a certain number of weak troops you then can pick the stronger ones.

Adding to that you could have buildings you could buy for weapons and armor. If you save up enough florins, you then can buy one of these and all your units you buy will have that upgrade.

21. speical units for generals *gotten this idea from magy*
- general is a special unit consisting of something like 20 men with bodyguards
- there would be a general icon when select units *like there is for foot, cavalry and artillery*
- general can be a special foot,missile or cavalry, but only consisting of 20men
- general has to be the highest unit in valor
- the general has it's own slot out of the 16 slots
- other units picked out of the special general icon will be sub-commanders that give a moral bouns like the general, but not as much

22. better informantion on units
- you have a display for units when picking them showing attack, defense, armor, speed, ammo and hit points *display will be a nice size box showing the unit figure with it's stats*
- when you increase and decrease the unit stats it will show it in the display of the unit *green could show the +'s and red could show the -'s on the unit*
- display also shows the amount of florins needed for next upgrade and how much you get back when you downgrade the unit of something

Well that's it for now...feel free to comment or add to the list

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

MagyarKhans Cham
12-04-2002, 18:53
20. New battlefield playing style
You have places of control and no attacker/defender. There will be an area on the map you can occupy. When you control one of theses spots you slowly gain florins. You will have a florin bank, which you can spend or transfer/share with allies. You will have a reinforcements tab, which you can scroll through and pick your units to buy. To make all units usable you can have it where you can only pick weak troops 1st. And once picked and used up a certain number of weak troops you then can pick the stronger ones.

Adding to that you could have buildings you could buy for weapons and armor. If you save up enough florins, you then can buy one of these and all your units you buy will have that upgrade.

---------------------

that one is nice amp, its like a minicampaign on one sole map

AMPage
12-05-2002, 00:14
MagyarKhans Cham,

I'm glade you like one of my ideas. It seems most aren't interested in coming up with some of there own or commenting on mine. This must be because they know these things will never happen. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Yes, that buying buildings idea from my one poll would fit nicely into this playing style. It didn't seem to go over very well in having it for picking units during troops selection. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

I have more ideas, but there's no point in adding them. For they will never see the light of day... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

bosdur
12-24-2002, 19:38
OK I feel this should be added:

The UNDEPLOY button for the accidental deployment

I was typing while waiting for the deploy window to come out, and when it does come out it overrode my chat window and so when i pressed enter i immediately deployed. This is annoying I've tried to avoid it, but sometimes when you are too carried away in typing you just missed it.

Accident happens, above is just my recent misfortune. Since we now can not see how the enemy deploys anyway, I dont think theres any harm in adding this button. My wish list for chrismast http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif.

AMPage
12-24-2002, 21:15
bosdur, that's a great idea. I have done that plenty of times although it dosn't bother me much. I wish there wasn't any deployment, that when the game starts we come out from the redzone. Thanks for adding to the wish list, bosdur. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Another thing that really gets me is when you're picking units or already selected your army and someone drops out, you have to repick all over again. You should be able to pick your army as soon as you join the game and not have to wait for the host to press accept. So, when you join a game you pick your army and swords show up when you're done. You have a ready button next to your name that you click when you're completely done. The host accept shows up when everyone has picked there army and clicked in there ready button.

Another addon to the wish list. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

CaPeFeAr
12-24-2002, 21:41
ive read amps ideas and there are a ton of good ones....to comment on them would take a long time.... closer to the expansion time you might see most of those ideas having a topic of their own so that people can give feedback and comments..a more organised way to approach the developers...the cummunity really got a lot of features of of ca for multiplay in the last pack and i think they will continue to give us the features and gameplay that we ask for... so dont stop thinking...

...same army option.... would be nice if you could as host assign the same army to every player.... this would help the newer players and could make for some good competitve battles...but only an option http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

vexatious
01-07-2003, 18:42
I would like a way to store pre-set army configurations for MP including formations and unit types. I understand that you can program custom formations--I just learned that today and plan to try tonight.