PDA

View Full Version : Custom Map Night

Kongamato
01-08-2003, 23:53
I had an idea just recently, so I decided to run it through a poll to find out what people would think of it.

The idea is like Sunday STW:MI, but with custom maps. On one night of the week hosts would showcase high-quality custom-made maps for team games. These maps would be specified or hinted at the day earlier and made readily avaiable for download.

No doubt, this requires the consent of hosts. I myself lack the means to put this into motion. Right now it is only an idea, one that I hope people would have enough interest in to set in motion.

Custom maps can be fun, challenging, and picturesque. Unfortunately, many cannot be played online without a scheduled date or appointment, due to the lack of an auto-downloader. This could be a way for many to have the opportunity to experience something new or showcase their work.

Dionysus9
01-10-2003, 05:10
Everyone who is interested, go to the .org and download my custom Bachs_gambit2.

throw it in your /savemaps folder and we will play on it this sunday.

See you there.

Puzz3D
01-10-2003, 15:58
Dion,

The joiners must have their maps in the same folder as the host since the game picks up that path and only searches that one folder. It looks like /battle/maps is the preferable place to put custom maps because that will leave /savemaps as a workspace for unfinished maps. So the recommendation is to move finished maps to /battle/maps before using them online. Mapmakers should use a unique prefix on the filename to identify the map as theirs, and this also will servre to set it apart from the standard maps.

Kongamato,

Well I know I'm getting tired of flatinland 01 to 20, and wouldn't mind trying new maps. The specific day idea could help overcome some of the inertia against using custom maps. OTOH, many hosts are using flat featureless steppe maps and I can't see them being interested in custom maps.

Shahed
01-11-2003, 03:45
I think it's a good idea. Would really like to see some more custom battle maps, made specifically for MP.

Alrowan
01-11-2003, 11:52
what a grand idea... perhaps people may even see my maps being played.. oh the joy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

kyodai-britishbeef
01-11-2003, 19:26
this sounds really good , i have most custom maps and like the idea of playing them, please pop to total battles (http://www.geocities.com/kyodaijonesy) where u will find i have made a map pack with most of the custom maps that are out there at the moment.