PDA

View Full Version : Valor Gain in Battle

Dionysus9
01-23-2003, 09:15
According to the Dev's you have to kill a ton of enemy troops to get a small increase in valor. Well...I was doing some experimenting tonight with Swiss Halbs in wedge formation against Lancers. High Period, arid, "hard" difficulty, flat map, summer.

V1 Swiss Halbs vs. V1 Lancers

The Halbs win some and lose some, but when they win they normally gain one valor.

We are talking about a unit of 60 Halberds routing a unit of 40 Lancers and walking away from the fight with 40 some odd men and a +1 increase in valor.

That is not how the valor gain was supposed to work. The Devs said you had to kill a large number of enemy to get a +1 valor bonus. My test shows this is not true. Each man in my Halb unit killed an average of less than 1 lancer.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE VALOR GAIN SYSTEM WORKS?

To me, it seems to be based solely on the total florin value of enemy units killed by a single unit. The number of enemy men killed appears to be irrelevant. The number of friendly men in the unit also appears to be irrelevant.

Again, this isn't how the "feature" was supposed to work, was it?

BomilkarDate
01-23-2003, 09:37
Might be true. Yesterday I killed 44 men with feudal foot knights V0. After 2/3 of the battle they had allready V2. The joke is that they gained more combat power than they lost from tiring.

Enough words lost

ELITEofBOMILKAR

Magyar Khan
01-23-2003, 14:47
well in one of the CWB battles i had v1 knights becoming v4

imagine this

Magyar Khan
01-23-2003, 14:47
just delete this crappy feature from the patch Viking Invasion

it has no use really.

Cheetah
01-23-2003, 16:20
There is no doubt that this valour gain during battles "feature" should be disabled. The sooner the better.

Knight_Yellow
01-23-2003, 16:39
i see valour gain as a good feature?

i view it as ur troops gaining experience through fighting.

also theyd get valour quiker if they killed lancers since lancers r like a vry good unit so killing them must dictate a higher reward at the end.

plus my val 16 gen is a wee gem of mine so leave him alone http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Puzz3D
01-23-2003, 17:05
I would like to see the valor gain feature disabled.

Swoosh So
01-23-2003, 17:33
This is the mp forum remember that why would troops need to gain experience in a 1 off fight?

CBR
01-23-2003, 18:11
Yes remove it in custom/mp battles

CBR

Dionysus9
01-23-2003, 19:46
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Jan. 23 2003,09:39)]i view it as ur troops gaining experience through fighting.
Even in SP it doesnt make sense for the men to "instantly" gain experience. They should get a hefty boost to morale, "Wow, we just slaughtered those elite knights" but in the heat of battle I don't know if they can learn too much from their experience. And, anyway, how does learning how to repel lancers help you fight foot-knights?

It doesnt make sense to give them experience during the battle. Afterwards, yeah, they should get some experience based on combat-kills (as opposed to kills obtained for killing routers).

Even if this was intended to be a feature, its not working right, so it should be removed.

BomilkarDate
01-23-2003, 20:41
Completely agree with Dionysus. This might even solve the cav balancing problem in endgame.

Enough words lost

ELITEofBomilkar

LadyAnn
01-23-2003, 20:48
I would like the gain in valor during battle be disabled and replaced by a gain in morale. The more you kill or rout enemies, the less likely you will run, negate the "worried by so many casualty" and "death/capture of general".

It will make Byz. Inf. more hellish, but I guess it would be balanced another way.

In SP, the valour could be gained after the battle.

Annie

Postino
01-23-2003, 21:04
i have played tons and tons of PnP table top games. never have i EVER come accross a game master who gives out expirence immediatly and allows level-ups on the spot. it is always at the end of the game, or in a long session during the halftime break, that expirence is assigned.

agreed

Puzz3D
01-23-2003, 21:41
LadyAn,

There is already a +4 morale boost from routing and enemy unit, but maybe you're suggesting a morale increase just from kills. I'm not sure if that would be good or not.

Major Robert Dump
01-23-2003, 22:25
The valour gain can also be exploited through running down routing untis, correct? If so, it doesn't make any sense that you gain experience from stabbing spearing someone in the back...such things don't make you a better fighter

LadyAnn
01-24-2003, 03:01
If there is a +4 morale boost, then it is fine. Just don't want any valor gain at all. Valor gain also put my star spear units in bad light: I must use saracen of val 3 or val 4 so they won't run at sight of enemy, but that means at val4, they won't ever gain anything. However, the cav at val0 or val1 could become val3 or val4. Just to point out how unfair the valor gaining is.

Annie

Magyar Khan
01-24-2003, 03:46
the problem is as wlel

we can discuss what w ewant vbut if teh devs are doing other things tings will never chance.

this stupid valour gain is mentioned a sa problem several posts before and still w eare debating it wiythout someone giving us hope that thhings will change

baz
01-24-2003, 04:04
well hopefully they are listening, but something tells me they will have other ideas ..

Magyar Khan
01-24-2003, 04:52
i didnt know ur a member of any mathematical shape "Cirle" or " Square" http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Dionysus9
01-26-2003, 09:12
*looks over shoulder*

*whispers*

oh, no....

.... the Circle...

*hides*