PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawing from the field

Kongamato
02-01-2003, 07:43
I got an idea about MTW from the Starcraft replays I used to watch.

It seems spectators/observers would spawn as players in the game, but would move to the corner of the map and stay there, watching.

I thought that if players could spawn and bring with them one unit of peasants and withdraw them, then they could view the battle as spectators after their unit leaves.

The problem is that the message of "your allies/enemy are fleeing the field" might screw up the morale system and render the game unfair. Will this happen?

Dionysus9
02-01-2003, 09:16
We do this all the time and its no problem.

First of all, routing units only have an effect for a relatively short distance around them (2.5 map tiles). Withdrawing units, on the other hand, do not put any morale penalty on your allies.

The "Enemy Fleeing" message doesnt produce any morale penalties by itself.

This works to have spectators and its pretty fun. A great way to teach and learn too.

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
02-01-2003, 16:31
[quote=Dionysus9,Feb. 01 2003,02:16]
The "Enemy Fleeing" message doesnt produce any morale penalties by itself.

LOL... I would like to see ennemy army routing when I am fleeing But not sure the opposite is so great

Back to the topic, I think it's a really great idea, and as a complete MP noob, I guess it would be extremly HELPFULL

Thanks for htis great suggestion,

Louis,

Swoosh So
02-01-2003, 16:40
Id like to see this used in tournaments for referees http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dionysus9
02-02-2003, 10:00
Yes, swoosh, it would work fine--although it adds another possible drop-lock before deployment. No biggie.

Another problem could conceivably be accusations of cheating-- "referee told my enemy (his ally) what to do in ally chat" or some-such nonsense.

Heh, kinda turns into a "who watches the watchers" problem.

Lechev
02-03-2003, 04:22
Such an arrangement actually depends on the third party who is watching as the battle unfolds. It is just like those bystander who are watching two player playing chess.

Some will actually drop a hint or two if he sees another player make a stupid mistakes. The bottom line is that there must be a protocol whereby all the bystanders had to adhered to I.E to keep a neutral standing and to keep in silence even thought he might hav a better opinion. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Alrowan
02-03-2003, 04:38
well i remember having RTKPaul as a referee in one of my TWA tourneys.. but that was because he had to host it for us as both contesters had firewalls

Nobunaga0611
02-03-2003, 04:56
yes it becomes less of a problem when its someone you trust. Otherwise, don't let the third party in, simple as that. you can always save a replay.

Kraxis
02-03-2003, 17:36
Quote[/b] (Alrowan @ Feb. 02 2003,21:38)]well i remember having RTKPaul as a referee in one of my TWA tourneys.. but that was because he had to host it for us as both contesters had firewalls
That is a very important point.
At the OOOO we are stuck at less than half our memebers having the ability to host, so we need spectators almost all the time if we want to conduct a tournament.

Shahed
02-03-2003, 20:22
Already done this as referee without any problems.
Also works great for training.