PDA

View Full Version : Amour and Sword UPGRADES

FasT
02-03-2003, 19:20
i just wondered if ppl likes these or would u prefer the game without them?

tootee
02-04-2003, 07:22
Yes I like these upgrades, beside valor upgrade. They give me an option to choose between upgrading a single unit by 1 valor (thereby giving me another 2 combat pts and 2 morale), or upgrade two units by 1 weapon/armour (thereby giving me another 2 combat pts spread among two units). Or to improve the armour rating of the shooters.

Nobunaga0611
02-04-2003, 09:08
Yeah I like them because not only do they improve units cheaper, so you can spread the points out like tootee said. Also, its misleading for your enemies. If they see a Ghazi unit with only v1, they don't think it will be very effective, when in reality it might have 3 armour upgrades. It works to slightly balance out units that have very low defense and armour, but high morale and att. The same with more defensive units.

Alrowan
02-04-2003, 10:28
i love them... like you said they can be decietful, but hey, isnt that the idea

7Bear7Polar
02-04-2003, 21:38
i love em
cause valour can only go so far

CBR
02-04-2003, 22:54
Well I dont mind upgrades at all. But when you can buy 3 or 4 of them for some units and other units only get 1 or even nothing then the balance is ruined. Having a max of 1 for each type of upgrade would be better.

CBR

LadyAnn
02-07-2003, 22:14
I would do away with valor upgrade and have armor and weapon upgrade only.

Make the units morale so that they have the same behavior as if they are currently val2 or val3 so that there is no need to upgrade spears (either lower increase start morale by 6 to all units, or lower the rout threshhold by 6, or the start costs is the costs of the unit at val3).

You can buy better weapon but you can't buy better troops. Better troops means different type of troops.

The morale slider is a good idea. This allows the host to add morale to all troops when setup game.

Annie

AMPage
02-07-2003, 23:10
I would like to see many upgrade options for units.

I would take away valor and have upgrades like moral, weapon, armor, attack skill, defense skill, endurance, speed, accuracy, and buy or sell men in a unit.

weapon - buying a better weapon increase the attack of the unit some depending on what type of unit it is and units can be equipped with a few different weapons. example a cav charges with its lancer and after the charge uses a melee weapon for h2h combat

armor - you can buy or sell armor for your unit. the armor increase the defense of the unit depending on its type. each armor has its own class leather, plate, and chainmail etc, so when you upgrade or downgrade it dosn't show numbers it shows the armor type. Also of course the heavier the armor the slower the unit runs and faster it fatigues.

skill and defense skill - armor and weapons being only able to increase a units attack/defense so much, you have seperate attack and defense skill. with these two you can increase or decrease the skill of a unit to your liking.

endurance - makes the unit fatigue slower and would be good to upgrade on units heavy with armor.

speed - makes the unit run faster, which is also helpful for slow heavy armored troops. or maybe you want to create one very fast shock unit at a high cost.

accuracy - you could train units in many missile types like a unit being able to use a bow and fire a cannon. and in increase in accuracy helpful for improving its chances of hitting its target.

buying and selling men in a unit - each unit will have a default unit size, but you can with an extra cost buy so many extra men added to the unit or even sell men in the unit.

moral - of course makes your troops fight longer. but is better to have moral and not valor which increase attack/defense too cause it helps players balance units more to there liking.

The amount of banners a unit carries would represent how many upgrades that unit has, instead of like now how high it's valor is.

It would also be cool when during unit selection, your unit that you have selected to pick is placed on a 3d stand. It shows that unit in a small box on your screen on a horse or holding whatever weapons equipped with. When you equip that unit it will show it in the box. And next to the box will show its stats and update as you change them.

Well thats another something to add to the wish list which was talked about before, but would be really cool to have.

FearofNC
02-08-2003, 03:50
i especially like the idea of seeing the unit stat change during the upgrade and buy phase http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dionysus9
02-08-2003, 09:22
all great ideas and much needed improvements.

I especially like the ability to change the # of men in a unit. You should be able to have a unit with 5 or 105 men in it.

Kas
02-08-2003, 11:27
Upgrades are fun, although the mindblowing costs are not always worth it.

I don't think these are unrealistic, perhaps unbalanced, but that's fine to me...war is never fair anyway. (ask Custer)

FearKas http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif