PDA

View Full Version : Starting Positions

Kongamato
02-16-2003, 22:25
Hi, I would like to hear, or at least get hooked up with a link to what governs the starting positions of armies in MTW, whether it be faction choice or colors.

Skomatth
02-16-2003, 22:46
Faction colors.

in alphabetical order, middle is the first, then left, then right, then left again if a 4v4.

Nobunaga0611
02-16-2003, 23:19
Yup, so basically Almohads are always in the Center. And the Turks are always in the last position, well the color, not the actual faction.

Dionysus9
02-18-2003, 01:33
The following was written by yours truly and is an excerpt from the Multiplayer Guide (thread is stickied above):

Y
B. Color and deployment Zones
In a 4v4 there are (obviously) 4 deployment zones per side. Standard terminology for each zone is:

Center,
Reserve (or backup),
Right,
Left.

Reserve is always located in the left back. Right is always off by himself. Left is always set forward a bit into enemy territory (right in front of enemies reserve position). Center is obviously, well, center.

In v.1.1 your deployment zone is determined by the COLORS you and your teammates select in the army selection screen. In v.1.0 it was determined by the FACTIONS you and your teammates chose.

Colors are ranked in the order they appear on the army selection screen, from top left to right. Almohads (orange) are ranked highest and Turks are ranked lowest (green). Deployment zones are determined by the rank of your color, and they follow this pattern:
1) Highest ranking color = Center
2) Second highest = Reserve
3) Third highest = Right
4) Fourth highest = Left

Colors are ranked as follows:
1) Almos (Orange)
2) Byz (Purple)
3) Danes (white)
4) Egypt (tan)
5) English (dk. red)
6) French (dk.blue)
7) German (black)
8) Italian (dk.green)
9) Polish (lt.red)
10) Russian (lt.blue)
11) Spanish (yellow)
12) Turks (lt green)

So if you select Orange (Almohads) you will always be Center. If you select Turkish Green you will always be Left. That is as far as the "always" go, because, lets say the enemy has taken Orange and Purple--the Orange enemy will surely be center, but who would our center be? It will be whoever has the next highest ranking color.

If we all understand this system we will always know:
1) where each of us will deploy
2) which enemy each of us will face.

This will produce an advantage.

So when you are looking at our colors remember we will deploy in the following order: Center, Reserve, Right, Left.

The enemy will deploy in the same order, based on their colors. Center, Reserve, Right, Left (remembering that they will mirror us, so enemy "right" is actually facing our Left, and visa versa).

baz
02-18-2003, 03:38
lots of permutations, too many to realy work out in the lobby unless you want a headache but you can basically guess what color you need to face or avoid whoever http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Kongamato
02-18-2003, 06:16
It appears I have inadvertantly gained a ton of experience in team games as the crucial center man because I have been trying to make my army look cool with the Almo colors This, of course, should be no comfort to my allies