PDA

View Full Version : RTW's Timeline

Longshanks
02-17-2003, 12:52
Odd that the the game "officially" ends so early in the Roman Empire's history. I belive it officially ends in 10 A.D....the Roman Empire would live for another 400 yrs, and it doesn't reach its height until roughly 117 A.D.

I know nothing like that is announced, but it seems like room has intentionally been left for an expansion pack.

What do you all think?

econ21
02-17-2003, 12:57
It's probably a good thing. The full Roman period covers far more than MTW. There is a danger of covering too much and getting either a flawed or woefully ahistorical game. Plus if a "decline and fall" add-on (or add-ons) gives more money to CA to fund developing these amazing games, I won't object.

Spino
02-17-2003, 23:14
I suppose the expansion could include the time period after 14 AD but would it make much sense? With the exception of Persia all of Rome's most dangerous and civilized enemies had been beaten by the end of the first century BC Plenty of history but would the game be challenging?

As far as expansions go I would like to see one of three avenues explored:

1) Stay within the current timeline and simply add more campaigns, units, major & minor factions, etc.

2) Go back even further in time to when the Roman republic was at odds with the Etruscans, Samnites, Celts, various Greek colonies and other inhabitants and invaders of the Italian peninsula. This would also give us the opportunity to witness the rise of Carthage, Alexander's incredible campaigns, Celtic supremancy north of the Mediterranean, etc.

3) Have CA fast forward to the decline of the Roman Empire, when the empire was split into two parts and barbarians and Asiatic factions were knocking at either Imperial door.

Galestrum
02-18-2003, 01:33
I pick number #3

Start before the battle of Adrianople (376ish) and go thru the Islamic invasions

JANOSIK007
02-18-2003, 01:36
I would like it to be until the fall of Rome, or even beyound that.

Maybe RTW could be somehow connected to MTW with an expansion pack.

JANOSIK007
02-20-2003, 05:04
700 or 500 B.C.. You'll get a kick out of playin other nations that were much more powerful than Rome. ( Etruria, Carthage, Greeks, Egypt, Phoenecia, Persia )

That's all I can think of right now. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jacque Schtrapp
02-22-2003, 23:54
Quote[/b] (Longshanks @ Feb. 17 2003,05:52)]Odd that the the game "officially" ends so early in the Roman Empire's history. I belive it officially ends in 10 A.D....the Roman Empire would live for another 400 yrs, and it doesn't reach its height until roughly 117 A.D.

I know nothing like that is announced, but it seems like room has intentionally been left for an expansion pack.

What do you all think?
I thought the Roman empire (eastern half but still Roman) didn't officially end until the Turks captured Constantinople... er Istanbul http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Elwe
02-23-2003, 23:30
As far as I understand, the RTW game covers the period of the Roman Republic... which ended in 14 AD when Rome gained it's first Emperor and became an Empire.

Yes, you're correct Jacque. The Roman Empire lasted from it's first Emperor in 14 AD to the fall of Constantinople in 1453 AD.

Cheers.

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-23-2003, 23:44
Yeah I agree there will be an expansion pack for later.

HUNS INVASION EXPANSION PACK
BARBARIAN INVASION EXPANSION PACK

which ever, it will happen, they are squeezing time together to get more money. Which is ok, as long as the games are damn good. I dont mind paying £50 for the two games together if they are legendary and do screw over my computer.

Also MP has to be of a higher standard than ever before. Otherwise I'm not sure its all worth it.

Maybe i'm being pessimistic, but have we come to expect too much from CA because of what they deliver and so what we expect them to deliver later?