PDA

View Full Version : RTW ... maybe they can fix the one thing..

spiffy_scimitar
01-12-2003, 09:05
Ever since Shogun, there's been (an admittably very small) graphical bug that's irked me quite a bit. But back then, the graphics in general were rather shoddy so on the whole it wasn't that bad. Then Medieval came around, the graphics got better, but still it remained unresolved. And now I've seen screenshots of RTW, and although everything looks really nice, it'S STILL there...
What I'm talking about concerns the individual soldier animation being completely in sync with he rest of his unit. When they march or run, every single soldier in that unit will step at the same time, hold their weapon at the same angle, and basically look like a bunch of clone soldiers from Star Wars Ep2. And once again, in RTW, I see 60 guys going up a ladder with their shields in the same position, horses legs mirrored perfectly, lances the same direction and so on.
How hard would it be to put a randomize on the frame sequences on the individual soldiers animations? Slide every third soldier 1 frame, every other third soldier back -1?
In my opinion this small detail would make the armies move in a much more organic and less syncronized fashion and makes things more beleivable. I can understand soldiers to be orderly in a parade, but not on the battlefield.
My other graphical quibbles, shadows on buildings and trees and more angles of animation on sprites no longer apply, happily, as the medium now is full 3d.
And for those who would bother me woth "gameplay over graphics", don't bother, CA has excelled in this department in all their titles and I don't think they'll drop the ball this time either...

Jango Fett
01-12-2003, 11:23
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pissed.gif dude i cant agree with you more i would like them to make a really good battle game but with clone soldiers it justs looks stupid. maybe they need some help from peter jackson and WETA. it would be so cool to have at least a little individual movements for the units, it would make rtw so much better. imp

Stormer
01-12-2003, 18:53
yeah if you check the the frames of the animations its alot harder then u think to change what u are saying,
but yes i agree it is annoying watching everyone doing the same thing and i read that each unit fight inderviduly so maybe it might finally change http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

SmokWawelski
01-14-2003, 04:47
Yes, the "clones" are not looking too good... But it was done to conserve the CPU cycles. With the move to full 3D I cannot imagine what machine will you need if you want to have some variety among the troops.

Beter luck next time, but I would not count on it too much http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

solypsist
01-14-2003, 07:14
okay someone's already mentioned this, either in the wishlist thread or previous.

Catiline
02-09-2003, 01:57
In order to create some custom all topics are open

Monk
02-09-2003, 19:07
take a look at the intro Vid. are those Romans Marching in sync? no there alittle off. now watch the Barbarians charge them. are they all in sync with each other? i dont think so. The folks at CA claim that this movie (aside from the fatial animations) is the Game Engine in action. so i'd say CA did a good job dealing with this problem that has annoyed TW gamers since the STW days...besides its never bothered me so if its in RTW i wont mind a bit.

Leet Eriksson
02-10-2003, 01:47
actually the castle assualt scene with romans holding shields above their head with total synch looked really good,shows you how really professional the roman army was http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif anyways i like the way how the engine works,this small gfx problem is'nt really a big problem,most poeple won't notice it anyway.

Monk
02-10-2003, 02:38
im talking when the Vid just starts up and u see them marching to the battlefield. they march out of sync in my opinion. thats what i was trying to get at there.

and your right, unless people actually look i doubt they will see this problem, if its even there

TexRoadkill
02-11-2003, 23:03
It's not the kind of thing people notice but it does have a big effect on the overall immersion factor. When things are in sync it is mechanical and doesn't feel realistic whether or not you specifically notice it.

I think the problem in the other TW games is that there was only a few frames for any animation so it was impossible for them to be too far out of sync if there is only 2 - 4 frames per animation. More frames per animations would allow more variation in the sync. Having real 3D models will help that a lot I imagine.

chilling
02-12-2003, 03:25
Remind me, why were armies trained?

Nobunaga0611
02-13-2003, 10:07
Hey, as long as they program the AI so enemy gens don't charge my army like they're going to attack, then stop in front of my front line and stand there getting shot at, then I won't mind the sync walking one bit.

Rob The Bastard
02-24-2003, 09:14
Quote[/b] ]Remind me, why were armies trained?

To seek out, and close with, the enemy...to kill or capture him, in all seasons, weather, climate and terrain.

The purpose of drill is to provide a proud, alert and obedient soldier, and to provide the basis of teamwork.

Keeping in step is all very well...but having identical sword thrusts in the middle of battle is not realistic, especially if a bunch of crazed barbarians are baying for your blood, but then, it is only a simulation after all... and I don't see it as a big deal if all the men in a unit move identically. If CA can do something about it ...great but it is not that big a deal to me.

Longshanks
02-24-2003, 14:02
What bothers is me is not that the Romans look in sync while they scale the walls....I'm more concerned about the defenders. They are barbarians living in straw or mud huts, yet they have these massive stone fortress walls surrounding their village.

That is a little odd don't you think? It also looks silly.

Any barbarian fortresses(if any) should be made from wood.

This just looks ridiculous:

http://www.strategyplanet.com/totalwar/images/climbingwalls.jpg

TosaInu
02-24-2003, 15:32
STW units were 100% identical. MTW units already show some variation. Not all units are perfect squares/lines and not all men in 1 unit are equally tall. Looks like CA is trying to improve it (step by step).

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-24-2003, 22:18
Longshanks also like to point out that the ground level outside the fortress walls is not the same height inside the walls. Bit strange having a sudden cube looking hill in the middle of a plain don't you think?

So they haven't got everything perfect from the screenshots, but I'm sure it wont be all that bad.

Longshanks
02-24-2003, 23:25
Quote[/b] (Toda Nebuchadnezzar @ Feb. 24 2003,15:18)]Longshanks also like to point out that the ground level outside the fortress walls is not the same height inside the walls. Bit strange having a sudden cube looking hill in the middle of a plain don't you think?
Yeah, this screenshot had alot to groan about. The rest look good though.

I just hope I don't run into too many of these barbarian fortress cities...it might kill it for me.

JANOSIK007
02-25-2003, 00:40
Quote[/b] (Longshanks @ Feb. 24 2003,07:02)]What bothers is me is not that the Romans look in sync while they scale the walls....I'm more concerned about the defenders. They are barbarians living in straw or mud huts, yet they have these massive stone fortress walls surrounding their village.

That is a little odd don't you think? It also looks silly.

Any barbarian fortresses(if any) should be made from wood.

This just looks ridiculous:

http://www.strategyplanet.com/totalwar/images/climbingwalls.jpg
One of the devs has already explained it in one of the threads. The reason barbarians have a stone fortress is because Romans built them as they conquerred the barbs.

So basically those barbs have revolted against the romans.
Though I am pondered, my-self, by the gound being higher inside of the fortress.

I hope this will put your concerns at rest.

muffinman14
02-25-2003, 02:21
the shadows by the castle look really cool.... will we be able to loot the place?