PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Legion?

Oberiko
03-26-2003, 04:41
While reading up on Carthage's army (mostly mercs) I came across a type of troop called the Sacred Legion.

Apparantly they were some type of elite, very well armoured Spanish soldiers. What I've yet to find is what type of role they filled (infantry, cavalry etc.)

Anyone have any information on them?

Longshanks
03-26-2003, 08:21
The Sacred Band were the elite of the Carthaginian Army. Unlike most of the other soldiers, they weren't foreign mercenaries and fought much like the Greeks. They were heavy infantry recruited from among the Carthaginians.

Stormer
03-26-2003, 08:58
hehehe cool name

Nowake
03-26-2003, 10:40
Are you sure that the "Sacred Band" doesn't refer to Thebes elite (and homosexual) troops?

Longshanks
03-26-2003, 11:03
Quote[/b] (pr Fire @ Mar. 26 2003,03:40)]Are you sure that the "Sacred Band" doesn't refer to Thebes elite (and homosexual) troops?
They are the original Sacred Band, perhaps the Cartaginians were inspired by the Greeks. I'm no expert on the Carthaginian military, so I can't say for sure what the origins of the Carthaginian Sacred Band were. Many nations copied the Greek way of fighting, and employed Greek mercenaries. I imagine they were probably inspired by the Theban Sacred Band.

From what I have read though, the Carthaginian Sacred Band was made up of local Phoenicians though, not Greeks or Iberians. They were also considered the best troops of the army. I do not know whether the Carthagian Sacred Band encouraged homosexuality or not.

Oberiko
03-26-2003, 19:41
Thanks Longshanks. The original description was Sacred Legion, which doesn't really show up anywhere. Sacred Band is much easier to find.

From what I've read they were an elite unit in pre-Punic wars made up of nobility, and were some of the only non-mercenaries in the Carthagian army. During the conflict with Rome they were mostly extinct, but there were still enough of them to be mentioned.

Hakonarson
03-27-2003, 01:40
There weer a lot of "Sacred Bands" around het Greek world - not all modelled precisely upon the Theban homosexual model, but always considered to be the best soldiers of teh state - much like the French Old Guard of Napoleonic fame.

In Carthages case they were 2500 citizens "distinguished for their valour, reputation and wealth" and also "by the brilliance of their armour and the slow pace and strict discipline of their advance".

They fought in sicily in 341 BC, where they were wiped out, and there weer another 2000 citizen troops in Siciliy in 311 - apparently the last deployment of Carthaginian citizens overseas.

The Sacred Band was reformed in 310 to fight against Agathocles of Sicily, and weer again defeated - they were the last troops to break and run, so they were probably reasonably good.

Carthage lacked the class of small farmers living and owning land outside teh city that made up teh bulk of Greek & roman infantry, and so it never fielded much useful native/citizen infantry.

Hippolyte
03-28-2003, 04:21
Truly the Carthaginians illustrate the deficits of reliance upon fickle and often unreliable mercenaries. At sea, for instance, once the Romans applied the "Raven" (a boarding platform) Carthaginian sailors and marines had little of the aggression needed to repel Roman infantry, eventhough they were masterful and clearly superior sailors. And, as Hakonarson suggests quite correctly, Carthaginians never had the citizenry (except in sporadic defensive emergencies) required for both defensive AND offensive campaigns. The Greeks began the tradition of the farmer/soldier but they were largely limited in the seasons they were able to fight, meaning that the farmers had to return to sow or harvest the crops. The Romans, on the other hand, had an excess of able bodies men (seemingly a bottomless reserve if you could ask their opponents&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif that were very conveniently applied to matters of war. Indeed, because Rome praised militarism above virtually all things, skill in battle was a great source of honour for commoners as well as the Consuls (conquests and victories were equated with esteem for the entire family, a very powerful political tool). Because Carthage lacked such a citizen army and mercenaries were readily available (Carthage was able to transport mercs from northern Spain to the ne coast of n. Africa) the Carthaginians simply paid Gauls, Numidians, Libyans, and expatriot (or expelled) Romans to fight for them, while their officers and commanders were typically of the Carthaginian nobility. Additonally, I believe it was after the unfavourable conclusion of the first Punic War that returned mercs stirred up local Libyans, etc., and threatened the very gates of Carthage itself One Carthaginian leader who initially had acted as a spokesman for the mercs was dismembered and thrown into a ditch. The Carthaginians gathered what citizenry and loyal mercs they could and with largely superior tactics (and diplomacy) defeated the troublesome mercs. I believe its leaders were crucified.