PDA

View Full Version : Using formation

Lee SunShin
12-04-2000, 18:29
This is my fist post. And I'm an Korean im not english speaker.

There are 9 formation for defend, skirmish,attack.(number key 1~9 )

When using skirmish and defend formatin . there is no problem . We Just wait enermy's approch.

But when we attack, The formation will be disorganizi..(spelling). And we coudn't gain formation adventage.

The Scourge
12-04-2000, 19:10
Hello Lee.
There is a hold formation window ,at the top of the screen.try that.
Skirmish is the defalt,thingy.

Lee SunShin
12-04-2000, 19:37
thanks . But i meant not a unit formation but Group formation. (my fault,)

If click enermy unit (after press'G' key ) For attacking enermy

this make the group disorganized,

... How about click behind enermy line.? So make my Group keep formation (not individual,sevral units) and break through enermy line?

[This message has been edited by Lee SunShin (edited 12-04-2000).]

FeartheolD
12-04-2000, 20:21
Dont bother with formations its best to micro manage your units forations are ok for moving your army or part of your army in bulk. But when attacking attack with individual units you will have more success.

You units won't all bunch and lose their effectiveness.

------------------
http://feartheold.homestead.com/files/fear_the_old.gif
Keep you exits clear and your needles clean

The Scourge
12-04-2000, 20:27
Im pretty sure that if the press the group key,and then hold formation,it'll work.
Just make sure you havn't got weak hand to hand units in the front line;ie,Arches.
I usually stay in skirmish mode,unless im defending a position.
Anyway.Its always a good idea to try out a few things in custom battles.
Im told all the best online players do http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif .
Oh and try pressing hold postion as well.
Oh btw.That works if you press behined enermy lines.
Ive used the with some units.Although it can sometimes be a little difficult in the heat of battle.

[This message has been edited by The Scourge (edited 12-04-2000).]

Lee SunShin
12-04-2000, 21:14
I'v used clicking enermy behind line. For the frotal Mass attack. (looks good no matter win or not)

attack with individual units will make more success?

But if enermy keep good formation, its too hard for individual units. they would be surrounded by enermy soon. .( Ok im not a good macro manege guy. )

And when engage with enermy then hard to withdraw without havy casualty
Sould i learn more micro manege?.

thats why i concern mass attack with keeping formation

Rob
12-04-2000, 22:54
Micro-managing is best. I'm improving at it all the time but there are certainly many players out there much better at it than me.

In general, try to engage the enemy with defensive units (Yari Samurai, Naginata) and flank the enemy with monks, No-Dachi or Yari/Heavy Cavalry.

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

ShaiHulud
12-04-2000, 23:08
Lee....He isn't suggesting attacking with ONLY one unit. He means use your usual attack but EACH unit is ordered individually to do so. They will arrive pretty much in the formation they had when they began movement.

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

BanzaiZAP
12-05-2000, 01:22
Lee SunShin:
The reason micro-manage works best -
some units work best against different kinds of units - spears are best against cavalry, monks are best against spears, etc.

If you tell the whole army to attack, you don't get the chance to tell the best soldiers to attack the right enemies. When you tell each unit one at a time, then you can say "This spear unit can attack that cavalry. These monks attack those ashigaru...." It will help if you press "P" first - that will pause the battle, and you can give all your orders. Press "P" again to start time, and you can watch your armies engage.
Have fun!

-- B)

Puzz3D
12-05-2000, 03:47
Lee Sunshin:

If you want to attack with a group of units and keep formation, you can hold key and left click right on the enemy front line. In this way, all units stay in position and do not attack a single enemy unit. Also, unopposed units do not go too far ahead and leave flanks exposed. Using allows you to give a move command to any spot no matter what is there. This only works for advancing straight ahead. Your units will all bunch up if you advance sideways. Final unit facing will be in the same direction as before they started moving. As the others here have pointed out, it is very important to get good unit matchups. At some point you will want to give commands to each unit.

Tachikaze
12-05-2000, 05:21
Sun Shin,

Annyong Haseyo,

I use the same technique that Puzz3D uses (Alt key), but remember that units will arrive at the enemy army at different times. Teppo (Arquebusiers and Musketeers) and Yari Ashigaru walk faster than others; Naginatas will arrive later than Archers and Yari Samurai. Cavalry pass everyone eventually.

When the army stops, all units will be in the same formation in which they started. But before that, they will be a little disorganized.

When I have the offensive advantage, I send my whole army forward with one command (plus Alt). Then, while they are walking, I select each unit and give them a target. After that, I give separate commands to my flanking units. This works well if the enemy is standing.

By the way, using the Alt key works very well for moving your entire army left or right and keeping them in the same formation and facing. But don't let the enemy atack them while they are moving. As Puzz3D said, they will be very disorganized while walking to their new location. I lost twice when I let that happen.

------------------
A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 12-04-2000).]

Lee SunShin
12-05-2000, 17:55
Annyong Haseyo,( How do you do? )

Thanks all. I learned a lot.

I have understand why need micromanege very well also.

[This message has been edited by Lee SunShin (edited 12-05-2000).]

Puzz3D
12-11-2000, 01:08
Correction: Holding the key + left click only stops friendly units from being selected at the cursor's position. If an enemy unit is at the spot, then all units will attack that one unit. So, you do have to click on open ground to keep formation, not right on the enemy line as I stated before, but you already know this. Sorry about the mistake.

theforce
12-11-2000, 16:56
FearTHeOld is right here. I never use that formations cause it may get you into trouble also people who use the right click menu tend to rush by mistake when they hit the rout button by mistake especially with all that LAG. Manage your units 1 by 1.

hach
12-11-2000, 19:08
tosainu told me the other day that being in a defensive formation increases rallies or at least stops units routing as much.

is this true?

i use micro management

hach