PDA

View Full Version : do me a favour

hach
12-06-2000, 21:12
can everyone do me a favour in multiplay.

please don't say things like

"today is a good day to die"

"thank you for an honourable battle"

it just makes you sound silly (polite way of saying this)

of course if you are under 16'i bet it sounds cool.!!!!

Rob
12-06-2000, 21:23
http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

All I usually say is 'GL' (good luck) at the start and 'GG' (good game) at the end. I think it's just a way of being polite.

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

hach
12-06-2000, 21:50
gg and gl's my usual.
it's the other ones!!!

hach
12-06-2000, 22:24
sorry this should be on general discussion

12-06-2000, 22:27
I'll move it there.

This is a GD topic not an editing surely !

------------------
Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.

Visit my resource centre at:
http://terazawa_tokugawa.tripod.com/terazawatokugawa

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 12-06-2000).]

The Scourge
12-06-2000, 23:20
I agree,it does get a bit much sometimes.
Much honour on the field,and other B-Movie talk.
Trekkies,everywhere.

Idaho
12-07-2000, 00:01
It can be fun if people get Shakesperean - I don't mind it. Especially if they give it all the big talk and they turn out to be really shit. Then you can be really patronising in return.

I had someone get really irrate at me the other day. I was playing 2v2 and the opponents chose to Attack. They then proceeded to camp out for 15 minutes. In the hope of taunting them into attack (or shaming them) I started jibing at them "Campers... hey stop camping..." "Where's my tent?" "COme on you losers, you chose to attack" etc. This had no effect at all - not even a reply (although my teammate was entertained). I then went on to dig out a stupid insult from Cerebus the Aardvark:

'I hear that they had to cancel the annual march of the virgins in your home village. Your daughter was pregnant and your wife refused to march alone'

Now that is obviously a stupid insult designed to goad and jibe rather than offend. Still no response from the campers though... So me and my teammate proceeded to attack and destroy their forces quite convincingly. After the battle in the lobby the two campers went ballistic and started to offend not only members of my family they had never met, but ones that didn't even exist! And most of the insults were of the crass and unimaginative variety. I thought better of taking issue and apologised proffusely, to which they didn't let up at all.

What I found strange about it was that they must have been about 15 or 16 years old and lived in the US - so why did they take a joke about 'their village's annual march of the virgins' seriously? And then why did they claim I had insulted their parents?? I kept apologising despite the fact I was tempted at one point to up the ante 'cos they were such idiots.

Magyar Khan
12-07-2000, 00:04
if i play someone i know i will see things like

may my mongols return with your head in a bag

otherwise it would be like

good luck stranger

Tachikaze
12-07-2000, 01:31
Idaho,

I think it's great to throw meaningless, archaic insults like your example. It would be great if we could all use (and understand) Japanese.

But when someone says my mother wears army boots, that where I draw the line! Expect a full charge from my loyal arquebusiers!

DragonCat
12-07-2000, 02:15
So what DOES she wear?

Anyway, I almost always say"Good Luck and let's have FUN!!!"

That's what its all about anyway.

And I would have found the quote amusing. the fact they didn't says a lot about the village they live in http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
DragonCat
"On the prowl . . . ."

Dwimmerlaik
12-07-2000, 04:12
Well, a little role-playing is allowed I suppose to set the requisite mood for the bloodbath to follow, but a lack of a sense of humour is just unacceptable...how can people live without one? May as well not breathe or something..

------------------
To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
- Flaubert-

http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/ff4summon/indra.gif

solypsist
12-07-2000, 04:41
I had it work against me the first time it was used. We had selected out troops and then right before the screen goes black my opponent sent me the word: die.
Thankfully, I whipped his ass all over the field but for a minute I was thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?"
Hehe@Idaho's story. You should have just logged off for ten minutes and then come back when it was all over.
I avoid talk at all when playing, unless the person is obviously new and then I usually type in messages like, "You must be new" and follow up with "Good luck!" etc. to facilitate playing. I know I was certainly nervous about my first few games.

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 12-06-2000).]

Tachikaze
12-07-2000, 05:53
DragonCat,

Actually, my mother wears . . . army boots. But that's because I gave them to her for Mother's Day. And I'm sensitive about it.

So -- one word, just one word -- and the Teppos of Unholy Death will charge, brandishing their umbrellas!

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 12-06-2000).]

Idaho
12-07-2000, 17:04
What about:

'your mother is a gerbil and your father smells of elderberries'

Didz
12-07-2000, 20:47
It's always worth checking that the other guys know how to send messages in MP. It's amazing how many still dont'.

My most amazing battle was one where my ally and I staged a picnic on the battlefield whilst waiting for the Fear clan to sort their deployment out. (I think they were coaching a new member)

Everyone joined in and 'mustard and cold chicken was being passed round liberally along with a very good wine. In the end the battle never started I suspect we were all too drunk:-)

Was anyone here present if so did you notice what happened to my silver decanter?

Hoichi
12-07-2000, 23:32
or my farvorite: Your parents were brothers.

on another note: While defending against a veteren on Totomi last night in the rain, I managed to secure the hills behind his start line. He carelessly allowed me to run down his useless musketeers as he manueverd for hills of his own. After a small attempt to attack me in which some of his archers routed and died, we settled into a staring match which went on for a very long time.

I made several small jokes to try and spur him into action, with no result so I finally escaped. The empasse was eating up my limited gaming time and I was damned if I'd attack this attacker in his strong defensive postion> (it was a comp game)

The thing was, I never heard a word from my opponent throughout even though the game ran well over half an hour.

I like patter on the battlefield. After all, this should be about camaradarie and fun, not just ratings and winning. I'd prefer hokey remarks to silence.

Hoichi

Rob
12-08-2000, 01:29
My favourite piece of in-game chat was when I told my opponent I was going to make coffee and would be back in a few minutes. He suddenly gave up the idea of camping just out of musket range and charged up my hill with predictable results http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

Hirosito
12-08-2000, 04:58
classic that was so stupid could have been me (no not really) did he say anything afterwards, like: "you cheated i bet you only went for a coke!!!!!"

------------------
Hirosito Mori

A warrior's wisdom is shown in the treating of his defeated opponent http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/owen/sid.gif

Hoichi
12-08-2000, 23:54
in that game, i tried rob's brb gambit and waited to see what happened. Nothing! Though i'm sure my opponent hadn't dropped, i chalked it up as a drop anyway although i seem to have gotten credit for a win (i had far more kills than my opponent.

Hoichi

Yabusama
12-12-2000, 19:50
In one battle on a rain soaked Totomi my opponent had chosen a gun heavy force and was obviously in a dilemma as what to do next. He wandered back and forth and refused to attack me, that was until I started singing "I'm singing in the rain...." and got quite a few verses through before he came back with "Bloody hell I'm fighting Gene Kelly" and then proceeded to attack me.

I don't know if it was my singing, the song or he had a particular hatred of Gene Kelly but it worked, his general fled like a vipped dog.

Vespasianus
12-13-2000, 10:22
Hmmmm. Could you see the little samurai driving yaris through their ears?

------------------
March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.

ShaiHulud
12-13-2000, 17:03
What could be wrong with getting into the spirit of the game? Maybe they'd like to feel they've joined with people who gain some inspiration from STW.
It seems churlish to criticize such a minor thing when real problems (cheats!) exist.

My favorite is "Honor over Victory!"

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

Ieyasu
12-13-2000, 18:03
Yeah, role-playing is fine... though I would prefer a simple, "GL" before and a simple "GG" after. I had one chap actually wax rhapsodic about how he had heard I came from a very honored family, and how much of an honor it was to fight. LOL. I took it as graciously as possible, but it was a bit thick.

As long as we're sharing battle anecdotes... here's one. I had one guy who was attacking (and he got to choose as well), literally sit on the rear hills of Totomi. I kept asking him if he was going to attack... that he was the attacker... no response. It got so long, that I literally FELL ASLEEP at the keyboard until I was awakened by the sound of the incoming attack. LOL. A gen, sleeping on his horse, waiting for battle. It was hilarious. Once I wiped the sleep from my eyes, it was over rather quickly... it was a kind of disjointed attack... as if he got fed up with me or something, lol.

I find any kind of name-calling in the foyer a bit disconcerting and also quite funny. Someone mentioned something about a sense of humor on this thread... yeah, no kidding.

I do love to discuss battles after they're over, especially if I lost. And I also find people who immediately leave the game and foyer altogether without even a simple "gg" a bit rude. But that could be a bit sensitive on my part. lol

Honor before victory. And a bit of fun while you're at it.

Cheers.

Magyar Khan
12-13-2000, 18:43
for new players it is, or players with suspected multtple id's

Good Luck stranger

besides the one above, for people i fought before, i also use

"Face this mongol terror"
"Let my mongols rip your armies heart out"
"Only digging a hole can save u now!"

"

Ii Naomasa
12-13-2000, 21:46
I'm guilty of melodramatic battlefield sayings (often wishing that in victory or defeat, all our soldiers fight with courage or offering a blessing of Hachiman upon the participants), but I've never been serious about it and I usually wind up typing such while waiting for one side or the other to finish (in some way, it's a polite way of saying 'I've managed to setup my army and write this long monologue...how's it going over there?'). It may look silly, but since I keep it light and fairly accurate (too many players believe they understand cultural concepts when their line show their ignorance), I don't see any harm in it and occassionally it adds to the atmosphere (even when you're facing off against a general like Asai KiLLeRDOOD http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif ). Maybe that's just the role-playing fan speaking.

As much as I understand the need for it in fast paced games and have used such myself when playing FPS, I'm not a big fan of using GG and GL in Shogun. To me, a 'GG' is like a nod or some other cookie-cutter response that is more polite than nothing, but not of much merit in and of itself. Perhaps its just my verbose nature. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif If the game was really good, I'll use a less trite method of saying so. Mind you, I'm not saying those who use the shorthand are lacking in anything. I'm just explaining why I don't use them often myself (unless everyone is rushed). Perhaps others play Shogun at a more breakneck pace than I do. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Vespasianus
12-13-2000, 22:16
Isn't it true that the samurai would taunt one another across the lines before battle, often using an intricate rhyming game?

------------------
March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.

ElmarkOFear
12-13-2000, 23:50
Didz, The last I remember of the silver Decanter was seeing JstFeared putting a flower in it and giving it to the little dark haired Geisha with the blue kimono. Actually it wasn't a new member at all, we were fighting over who got the chicken legs, 3 of us only 2 of them. Fortunately, your wine helped settle matters. ElmarkOFear http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif