PDA

View Full Version : at what honour....???

hach
12-07-2000, 23:53
at what honour do yari ashigaru beat yari samurai honour 2's on a level playing field.

i've been studying khans price chart and i can get honour 5 yari ashi's for 276 koku against honour 3 yari samurai at 274 koku.

i'd even be prepared to to spend 276 koku on yashi5's against ysamu2's only costing my opponent 200 koku if it meant a good chance of beating them.76 extra koku well spend.

i'm still at work so would even appreciate some experiments done on my behalf in the next few hours till i get home on totomi.

cheers anyway

hach

Rob
12-08-2000, 01:24
We've been arguing over this in the Editing/Mods/Patches forum too.

Yari Ashigaru and Yari Samurai at the same price have an honour difference of 2 (e.g. h4 Ashis cost same as h2 Samurai). However, because the Yari Sam are better to begin with, the greater honour does not translate to a great advantage. H4 YA are about the same as h2 YS, but they are slightly faster, with slightly less armour and less morale.

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

hach
12-08-2000, 02:48
what about honour 5 yashis against honour 2 ysamu's??

though i think widdas calculator says they will still get whipped

hach

Rob
12-08-2000, 02:55
I don't know what the result of a 1v1 between an h2 Yari Sam and an h5 Yari Ashi, but remember that these are pretty rare on the battlefield.

Relying on battle calculators and similar tools will not make you a better Taisho; you don't have time to be doing sums in a battle, you need a more intuitve, instinctive understanding of how your troops will function.

How do you reach this point? Practice! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

hach
12-08-2000, 04:11
such good advice rob!!

as an ex master member of the old forum and a guy who waited for the shop to open on the day of release in the uk'i,m pretty sure i have a little knowledge of the game.

dare i challenge you??? oh my god!!!i just don't know?i better get practicing!!!

hach

Tachikaze
12-08-2000, 04:11
On a similar vein, I tested ashis vs. H2 monks. I found that ashis could clearly beat them at at H8, and lose closely at H7.

For what it's worth, not cost-effective.

Puzz3D
12-09-2000, 04:09
hach: You can test unit matchups in custom battle. Use normal difficulty, and get the 'green' map. It's absolutely flat. You may have to test a particular matchup several times if the units are closely matched due to statistical variation, and be careful of the charge bonus. I charge both units at one another to nullify that effect.

Understanding how different units work at various honor levels is important, but how right Rob is. In my last battle, a terrific fight ended with me winning a close contest. Later, I used Magyar's logfile reader to see how my units did. I was astonished to see that my opponent had an H9 YA among his forces that had 0 kills and 40 losses! The fighting lasted a long time, but obviously that unit was never commited. It was a waste of over 1055 koku in a 5000 koku battle!

AkaiYuuki Sanada
Clan Akai Ken

ShadowKill
12-14-2000, 19:55
i use honour 6 ashigaru's in a 5000 hoku game they seem to work well with a monk reinforcement to take out the stonger enemy units and since ashigaru are pretry fast they move around to flank when needed easier then yari

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

Ai-jin
12-14-2000, 21:52
I very very rarely use ashigarus. The charts that I have seen have indicated that the ashigarus have a -4 moral factor.
A -4 !!! That means that it lowers your armies moral by that figure, which therefore makes your whole army more vulrable to routing more easily. Now if this is not totally true, well then forgive me, but I havent seen anything else that says otherwise and so its too risky for me to use those damn peasents.

------------------
http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=PersonalBEETribe&ID_Topic=1&ID_Message=14
"The rivers will flow with blood from thy enemy"

ElmarkOFear
12-15-2000, 00:03
In a one on one battle h4 ashi and h2 yari sams are about the same, but the ashigaru will rout easier than the yari sams if more units are involved in the battle. So unless you can get the yari sams one on one I would not send my honor 4 ashigaru into battle until they are needed near the end of the game. One benefit, I have found using the custom battle option is that by using a high honor ashigaru unit for your general will have a greater impact on the morale of your troops when defending. Try it and see, give your ashigaru general an honor level of 7 and also 2 units of yari sams honor 2. Then give the AI two yari sams honor 2. Have them battle but do not engage the enemy with your ashigaru general, keep him in back . . . you will win. Now give the same armies again, but this time you take a monk unit honor 2 for your general instead of the high honor ashigaru unit. Have them battle, once again do not let your monk general engage in combat. The outcome will be better with the honor 7 ashigaru. Make sure you do this on flat land and that you face the attacking enemy units. Good luck, ELmarko