PDA

View Full Version : lib whats your taisho?

hach
12-09-2000, 01:34
whats your taisho in roughly 5000k games?

i always have a honour 4 ys'but will change if anyone gives me reason to doubt my choice.

my reasons are

cost 388 for a 4ys is cheap and especially as i play 5000k games can still spend money on other units that did'nt go to a massively expensive taisho.

i always keep my taisho at the rear until needed.my opponent might try to gt my taisho'but that means travelling thru my main army or flanking.the only units with speed to do this are cavalry and what do cavalry not like???!yari!!!!
you might say what if they are cavalry archers?i've never had it happen yet'but if i did then i would just loose formation my taisho to negate losses to the arrows and try to close with the ca unit.never happened so can't comment too much.

they are a fairly decent unit for the price and are always good to throw in at the end either good or bad.

anyway opinions please and remmeber i am talking 5k games here.

thanx hach

Rob
12-09-2000, 05:47
I usually use Yari Sam too http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Cheap, don't die too easily (especially in Hold Formation) and not too slow.

------------------
AkaiRob Hojo
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

Dwimmerlaik
12-09-2000, 05:57
Bahh..give me my YC taisho any day..

------------------
To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
- Flaubert-

http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/ff4summon/indra.gif

The Scourge
12-09-2000, 08:01
I like HC.A general should be on a horse.

The Black Ship
12-09-2000, 10:03
I'm guilty of using WM honor 3-4 for my guy...guilty because I tend to use him when I know I really shouldn't http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Dark Phoenix
12-09-2000, 10:52
I always use YS as my general the reason for not using monks is that I want to be able to use monks without having to worry about my general getting routed.

Phoenix

------------------
DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

Tachikaze
12-09-2000, 11:25
Years ago, people asked "What's your sign?" Now it's "What's your taisho?"

I used to use my taisho in HC for the same reason as The Scourge. He has the best philosophy.

Alas, I have become practical. I use my taisho only in YS or Ng units now.

I'm considering using him in an archery unit, though. DragonCat brought it up in another thread, and it seemed reasonable.

Tenchimuyo
12-09-2000, 12:26
I always make mine either MK or NG

Ii Naomasa
12-09-2000, 13:01
Forsaking modern trends and following the traditions of the Heian period ancestors nearly 500 years earlier, my general and his immediate subordinates often prefer to be mounted, with bows at their sides.

It may be an odd choice to make your taisho a cavalry archer group, but there's benefits. He can outrun nearly anything on the field if he chooses, making him very safe (and if the enemy wishes to throw away some cavalry in his direction, I can always manage some spearmen to intercept). The range allows him to participate while not risking his loss, and his position of Cavalry Archer keeps me from trying to utilize him in a rough situation (whenever my general's in an offensive capable unit, I've almost always thrown him away needlessly). And I'm one of the lucky few who has any luck with CA units to begin with.

I've made YS and SA units my Taisho's unit sometimes (especially in koku crunch match)...but he's nearly always played a defensive unit...and preferably in the middle of others to protect him.

hach
12-09-2000, 15:03
yeah i agree with rob.

another reason i use ys as my taisho is they are not what i would call a mega important unit.

i mean i will have other ys i can use instead of it unless i have to and i would want to commit wc and yc and hc to battle as they are mega important and therefore if one of them was my general it's gonna get whittled down some even a little bit.
also they are gonna cost me more especially if i raise the honour.

hach

Slyspy
12-09-2000, 19:44
I too use a Cavalry Archer taisho, for the flexibility this gives you. He can help out where he is needed in support of the rest of the army. He is a bit vulnerable to yari units, but never mind. I thought I was the only one using a CA general, since the very idea got such a hostile reception on another thread! The very idea of a taisho lugging a huge spear around on foot when he could be galloping around gracefully on his horse!

------------------
"Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

solypsist
12-10-2000, 00:49
sorry guys, but Yari Cav are faster than Cavalry Archers. So I'll be looking for your generals when we fight.

I've gotten into the habit of using an H4 Yari Spear unit as my taisho unit. So far it's hardly failed me.

Slyspy
12-10-2000, 04:30
And my ashigaru are waiting to intercept your yari cavalry! And so it goes on scissors-paper-stone ad infintum.

------------------
"Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

DragonCat
12-10-2000, 07:58
I generally use Samurai Archers for my taisho. He stays in the back where he belongs, stays rested and can really add a nice punch when he needs to and in skirmish mode he runs away from trouble on his own. I also take off fire at will and direct his fire most of the time.

Cavalry Archer is also a fun choice. Never made him a spearman or rarely a no dachi or warrior monk, I throw them into battle without a thought.

------------------
DragonCat
"On the prowl . . . ."

Widda
12-11-2000, 06:18
Im with Black Ship with H3 WM's. The morale bonus from having your taisho fighting with his men and in a unit that damages your opp'nts is the way. Supported by ND and other WM's... Thou my armies are Inf heavy, only 2 YC, fast flankers and 3 missle units.

DoragonWidda Daidoji (http://www.totalwar.com/Players/PlayerDetails.asp?PlayerID=29892) .

TooCool
12-11-2000, 17:39
If i am defender, i make my taisho SA but if i am attacker, my taisho is HC. Why? Because when i defend, i have more range units than if i attack and i don't want to risk my taisho in melee. But when i attack, i have more melee units (than range). My HC taisho is used as backup to support another H2H unit at the end of the battle (i always flanked with my taisho HC). Another reason is that a HC has good armor.
Hope you will understand althrough my poor english! ;-)

Slychaos
12-14-2000, 19:42
Doesnt it have to be an NG H3? Good lord I been using it so long I forgot it didnt need to be!

------------------
SlyChaos
HOST OF CHAOS (http://www.host-of-chaos.fsnet.co.uk)

ShadowKill
12-14-2000, 19:47
H2 yari I never spend alot on my general as he never fights he has no reson to even get close to the fight

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

TooCool
12-14-2000, 23:03
to Slychaos:
IMHO, it's not a bad idea only if you defend. A NG taisho can be used as last defence where there is a "hole" in your line. But when you attack, NG is maybe too slow.