PDA

View Full Version : How will the Barbarians be handled?

Longshanks
02-13-2003, 04:08
How will the Britons, Gauls, and Germans be handled? Rather than be united into one nation, all of these peoples were divided into several nations within their respective regions. They warred with each other as often as they did with other peoples, and in some cases they spoke different languages, as well as had cultural differences from one another.

They were seperate peoples collectively referred to as Gauls, Britons or Germans.

Will they be present as a single faction, or will they be sub divided into factions as they were historically?

Xicote
02-13-2003, 04:45
I personally want them to be divided. The more factions, the better IMO.

Stormer
02-13-2003, 09:00
yea dividied

Nobunaga0611
02-13-2003, 09:40
They'll probably be a lot like Hungary and Aragon is in MTW now. There, but not really there. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Kongamato
02-13-2003, 10:02
My historical knowledge lacks an answer.

Were they considered civilizations?

It is kind of hard to make a faction out of a rabble with no central authority.

Nobunaga0611
02-13-2003, 10:11
I could easily be wrong, but, weren't at least one of those three Nomads? I think it would be interesting to play as a group of Nomads. All tactics would change to some crazy Gurella warfare. Tons of men running out of the treeline surrounding your entire army, but only having small spears and basic arrows. Fighting like the Fanatics do in MTW. Would be interesting imo.

Catiline
02-13-2003, 13:47
tey could be presented in any number of ways. The Germans had some huge migratory tribes towards the end of the second century BC which were eventually annihilated by Marius. So there's a horde option. Alternatively htey raided over the Rhine. The Gauls were beginning to attain some sort of organisation by the time Caesar conquered Gaul. There were huge tribal confederations, but they didn't always get along terribly well.

Hoefully there'll be some way of representing hte tribes as confederations rather than nations, immense potential, but very difficult to control and maintain. The Gauls at least were not hairy barbarians, but it'll be a shame to see them presented in the same way as Rome or the Hellenistic states of the the mediterranean.

powdermonkey
02-20-2003, 16:48
Hopefully they won't just be rebels...
It would be a shame to loose out on the more interesting and diverse factions by just lumping them under rebels as in MTW........ http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Toda Nebuchadnezzar
02-21-2003, 11:58
Yeah I agree with the divisions bit. A Gaullic League would be a nice idea, where you can be any one of the member tribes. You can either stay in the League or leave or whatever.

So you are just perhaps a one province faction but surrounded by many friendly factions who have the same. This would have huge potential. You could gradually take over other provinces outside the League and so become the biggest member of the league and then perhaps turn it into your own empire in a way.

Lots of possibilities here.

Leet Eriksson
02-22-2003, 12:58
The only 2 factions that can fight head-on(think like christians in mtw)are the greek and romans,so i'm thinking most factions will handle like muslims(cheap units,but very effective when combined).just my speculation.

Jacque Schtrapp
02-22-2003, 23:50
Faisal:

There were more than just two powers at the time. Carthage and Egypt were both powers to be reckoned with as were the Persians who apparently didn't make the cut (too far east dammit http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ).

I would also like to see more of the rebel factions capable of either acting in a coordinated manner or of spawning a new faction based on some migratory tribe or some such. I think it is competition against factions, not rebels, that gives me the most enjopyment. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Catiline
02-23-2003, 00:03
The Persians aren't about in the time frame. THe region was controlled first by the Alexandrian successor kingdom founded by seleucus. After their implosion the Parthians rose as a threat in the East, but only in the second half of the apparent game time span.

muffinman14
02-23-2003, 01:38
Quote[/b] (Toda Nebuchadnezzar @ Feb. 21 2003,04:58)]Yeah I agree with the divisions bit. A Gaullic League would be a nice idea, where you can be any one of the member tribes. You can either stay in the League or leave or whatever.

So you are just perhaps a one province faction but surrounded by many friendly factions who have the same. This would have huge potential. You could gradually take over other provinces outside the League and so become the biggest member of the league and then perhaps turn it into your own empire in a way.

Lots of possibilities here.
great idea I hope to God this will be in the game