PDA

View Full Version : what i really would like to see...

Leet Eriksson
02-09-2003, 10:11
what i really would like to see is that every faction has its own set of units(no common units,for example in MTW every catholic faction had men-at-arms

Monk
02-09-2003, 18:52
One of ther main things that was announced when RTW was revealed (UK PC GAMER) That every Civilazation will be COMPLETLY UNIQUE i hope this answers ur question.

Catiline
02-09-2003, 19:03
Well, yes, but ultimately and archer's and archer. THere needs to be some limits here, you want differences between the factions, but if there's going to be any basis in history there's necessariy going to be some overlap, even if they tweak the stats a bit.

w00tage
02-10-2003, 22:58
some units are going to be common such as archers or peasnt equvilant though they Dont have to be common to all factions, maby they different Roman factions have a few common units.

hmmm whenever I start a post I know what I am going to wright but halfway through typing I forget and have new Ideas http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Monk
02-11-2003, 00:49
archers will be a common unit, but i imagine they will look considerably different from Faction to Faction. peseants should also be the same in this manner, since Barbarian peseants were not dressed like Roman peseants.

Galestrum
02-11-2003, 00:50
I hope that there is a nice compromise. Some units will need to be fairly generic, but hopefully even those will at least be named differently and appear differently (example a celtic archer and a greek archer), with any specific historical differences noted.

I do hope they take time, as it does appear, to flesh out each faction with several unique units from history.

One thing that I seriously hope they add, are region specific units that can be created by anyone holding a specific region/province. For example, the Romans recruited many region specific troops, for instance archers and cavalry were often provided by other peoples/nations while the romans themselves did all the infantry usually. It would be nice to get units, that may be faction specific if you have conquered the appropriate region/province.

ICantSpellDawg
02-11-2003, 08:05
im really interested in the celts - i hope they have some interesting units

Maedhros
02-11-2003, 10:03
well, they may depending on whether or not the Celts have nekid troops....

They really did fight in the buff in ancient history. Somehow they thought it made them more invincible.

Strange and primitive people they were. I look forward to the game and all its delights

Oberiko
02-11-2003, 19:24
I'm sure a well placed leaf or loincloth would allow the developers to create Celtic units with most of their... glory... intact.

TexRoadkill
02-11-2003, 20:12
I find the amount of different units to get a bit tedious sometimes. When it comes to multiplayer I prefer to concentrate on tactics and not have to study a bunch of charts to see how each different unit fights against every other one.

I guess that does add depth for those who are into that sort of detail but for the more casual generals it can be pretty frustrating.

Maedhros
02-14-2003, 09:26
While there was something to be said for the simplicity of Shogun....I think the style and personal preference of the player is more important than charts. I have had bad luck with statistically correct troops.

Play with the men you like, trust me there really is something to be said for flair. Something they can't calculate for. But is there nonetheless.

For example a horde of nekid celts wielding high attack low defence weapons may stun the defending general (no doubt while he stairs at the black censor strips or "magic" fig leaf) to let you hit him. hit him hard. and hit him fast.

Stats aside, all that matters is victory. All else is moot when it is you writing the hallowed pages of history.

JANOSIK007
02-17-2003, 05:54
I would like to have different options in military campaigns. Wether you just want to go on a raid with a band of your loyal men, or go on a huge military campaign with all of the supplies that big armies need.

Also, it'd be pretty neat if you could go into battle map to see how you'r army is traveling and occasionally fend off few of the small skirmishes that usually occured before a major battle. Also during the night you could command your army to set up a camp.

And I would like the graphics of the environment to be better. For instance having trees look more realistic with varied size and color. Also the grass could be made a little more realistic, having it cover soldiers ankles or even up to the knees ( they have already done it with the farm )

The wind should be also a factor in the game. It should be expressed visually ( with trees swinging, grass moving, and soldiers' clothes moving ) and strategically. Sand, from looking at the screenshots, looks really nice ( especially with those ripples ).

Spino
02-17-2003, 23:33
Twenty or so unique units per faction is fine but there simply has to be a large number of units that are found in more than one faction. I think it would be wise if CA placed an even greater huge emphasis on region specific units in RTW than it did in MTW. So many armies that took the field in those days sported non-standardized units that they simply recruited from the local region. What about factions like Carthage whose armies were comprised almost entirely of mercenary units? During the Punic wars Celts and Celt-Iberians often found themselves on both sides of the war, often facing their own kind in battle

With that in mind how am I supposed to believe that most of Carthage's units in RTW are 'unique' to Carthage?

Anyway, Faisal touched on this in another thread and people came up with a fair number of region specific units that could be depicted in RTW:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=6320 (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=19;t=6320)

Hakonarson
03-07-2003, 04:27
There really shouldn't be 20 unit types perfaction at all in this era, but as yuo say - more region specific types - eg Balaeric slingers, Numidian cavalry, Spanish Scutarii and Caetrati.

Carthaginian units:

Liby-Phonecian mercenary spearmen, basic, veterans and re-equipped with Roman equipment

Numidian - javelin armed infantry and cavalry skirmishers

Gallic Cavalry
Gallic infantry - warbands - swordsmen

Spanish cavalry - armoured and unarmoured possibly with Caetrati acting in support

Spanish infantry - Scutarii swordsmen with heavy javelins a-la pila, and Caetrati skirmishers

Ligurians - javelinmen, some armed with axes

Libyan and various assorted light infantry - javelinmen, archers and slingers

Poeni (Carthaginian) "Sacred Band" citizen spearmen (not used outside Carthage)
Poeni militia - ditto, and only during the 3rd Punic War IIRC, probably moderately armoured javelin & swordsmen
Poeni cavalry - generals' bodyguards only, much the same as Roman equites with javelin & shield
Elephants

Italian allies - Campanian hoplites and cavalry, Brutian infantry and cavalry, Apulian troops

appart from the Poeni all these were used by the Romans also.