PDA

View Full Version : German Borders?

Oberiko
05-25-2003, 04:16
Since CA announced that the Germans will be (IIRC) a playable faction, I was wondering how much of the map they would take up, and which NPC nations would be on their borders.

I'm assuming that since the map is a reconstruction of Europe (and hopefully a large portion of Asia), the map won't just stop at included factions, and will have NPC nations (that are uninvadeable) to serve as the boundries for the player. An example would be something like Bactria and Arabia bordering off of Seleucid.

In my reading though, I've yet to find what nations/factions were on Germany's non-Roman front. The Norse?

Longshanks
05-25-2003, 14:06
Quote[/b] (Oberiko @ May 24 2003,22:16)]In my reading though, I've yet to find what nations/factions were on Germany's non-Roman front. The Norse?
The ancestors of the Norse would have also been a Germanic tribe. They would be included in "Germania", though no such nation ever existed. As far as Germania's borders, and who were across those borders:

The various peoples of Germany are separated from the Gauls by the Rhine, from the Raetians and Pannonians by the Danube, and from the Sarmatians and Dacians by mountains - or, where there are no mountains, by mutual fear. The northern parts of the country are girdles by the sea, flowing round broad peninsulas and vast islands where a campaign of the present century has revealed to us the existence of some nations and kings hitherto unknown. The Rhine rises in a remote and precipitous height of the Raetian alps and afterwards turns slightly westward to flow into the North Sea. The Danube issues from a gentle slope of moderate height in the Black Forest, and after passing more peoples than the Rhine in its course discharges itself into the Black Sea through six channels - a seventh mouth being lost in the marshlands.

Tacitus, Germania

Nowake
05-25-2003, 16:02
Indeed, but in the north-east (Poland and Carelia) we have to consider the existence of proto-slavs.

Longshanks
05-25-2003, 19:24
Quote[/b] (pr Fire @ May 25 2003,10:02)]Indeed, but in the north-east (Poland and Carelia) we have to consider the existence of proto-slavs.
I'm not too keen on the history of the Veneds, but didn't they arrive in the region(Poland) late in the Empire's history? I believe the Sarmatians and Germans were in Poland during the time period the game takes place in.

AvramL
05-25-2003, 23:31
http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm

Herein lies maps of Europe during the time period in question, the Germanics are divided into various large tribes which were "identified" by the Romans.
Note: the names are Latin and not what the Germanics themselves would have called their tribes.

Nowake
05-26-2003, 06:49
I have no time for taking a look now, but as far as I know, the euratlas comes into business after 0AD.

AvramL
05-27-2003, 02:57
Still relevant.

Longshanks
05-27-2003, 11:40
Quote[/b] (AvramL @ May 25 2003,17:31)]http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm

Herein lies maps of Europe during the time period in question, the Germanics are divided into various large tribes which were "identified" by the Romans.
Note: the names are Latin and not what the Germanics themselves would have called their tribes.
Good site. Avram do you know of any which give the Germanic names for the German tribes in the Early Empire? The history of Rome is a bit confusing. When studying the Republic or the early Empire the Germanic tribes are mentioned by their Latin names. When studying the Late Empire and its fall, the Germanic tribes are mentioned in their Germanic names. I imagine however, that some of these tribes are the same, just remembered by different names in different periods.(with the exception of the Goths)

AvramL
05-29-2003, 01:23
All the tribal names (I am pretty certain), even the later ones are Latin or Latin based, not surprising considering that the only people writing the histories would be writing in Latin. This is something though that I was wondering myself, though since the Germanic tribes were less unified than the neat Latin names suggest, it is hard to say wether or not they distuingshed themselves on that level.