PDA

View Full Version : *THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAETORIANS AND ROME!!!*

Mr Durian
05-29-2003, 03:50
Ok I dont know if this subject was brought up but I greatly hope the developers have emphasized the great importance of Rome. R:TW should not be like M:TW. To control the republic/empire you need to control Rome. To lose Rome means losing power of the republic/empire. Rome should be the center of commerce and politics. Lets say its all the things of an empire cramped into one city. All the assasinations and political schemes are made here. In Rome your leader and generals are most vunerable to assasination. Rome is the most likely the biggest targets of civil wars. This is where the importance of the Praetorian Gaurds come in.

I hoped the developers have not just made the Praetorian Gaurds another battle unit, no that would be lame.

The Praetorian Gaurds are THE most loyal subjects of the emperor (and in the later era the bastards of the empire). They are placed in Rome to protect the emperor and maintain stability in the city if not the whole empire. They are there to prevent/carry out assasinations. In effect they are very much similar to the SS of the Germans in WW2.I cannot emphasize how important the Praetorians must in the stability of the empire and how grand it's influence and power (and corruption) had on the politics.

Taking over Rome and becoming emperor withour emplacing your loyal soldiers as Praetorians in Rome would be risky. It should be almost complete essential you do.

Developers I dearly hope you read this. Thank you and have a nice day. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Hakonarson
05-29-2003, 04:06
Praetorian guards don't exist for most of hte period of RTW - Praetorian Cohortes weer headquarers guards raised by individual generals, and "THE" guard wasn't raised until 31BC.

It's infamous dabling in politics started in the middle of the 1st century AD.

However Roman players are going to be powerful generals/political figures of Rome - not the Emperor - and the senate will be more or less independant and will often tell you what to do

I guess there might be a victory condition to become Emperor, but I don't think I've seen that confirmed anywhere - just seems like a logical end-point for the game.

That said controlling Rome was stil important in the civil wars of the 1st century BC, and I'm sur eit will be a major objective in any RTW civil war too.

Nowake
05-29-2003, 15:15
Now that you brought it up, what do you think that should comprise the victory conditions?

Mr Durian
05-30-2003, 07:18
Thats for the developers to decide I guess. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

lonewolf371
05-30-2003, 22:24
Same as always, controlling the world. Rome will just be an economic powerhouse province and your control of it will probably lessen the chances of rebellion. The main reason for controlling Rome will be already developed provinces. Controlling the Republic will and should be an asset, not a game winning move. As for the Praetorians, they probably will fight well and beat normal legionairies but the hint "not suited to the rigours of campaigning" probably means that they wear down and get tired easily, making them a temporary power-house.