PDA

View Full Version : One thing Im not sure about?

Balamir
06-03-2003, 16:00
I've probably seen all the movies about RTW and lots of screenshots, I noticed something. The colour of Romans kept changing. One of them I saw red, then blue, then green... This brings up a question. Is Roman empire split between factions which you have to unite first, to be the emperor or is it about your choice (as in MP)? I think its the first one, and I hope it is, because having a split Rome would add some touch to the game, and imagine that you have to fight your inner enemies (romans) and outer enemies (carthage greece egypt persia ....) it would be really breath taking.

SgtAndrew
06-03-2003, 16:22
I remember hearing someone say that Rome is split into three different factions, and I'd assume you have to unite them all to become Emperor.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-03-2003, 17:16
Maybe you can choose your colour this time...or maybe CA haven't made up their mind about what colour the Romans are?

Monk
06-03-2003, 17:28
taken from a Q and A from IGN.com

Quote[/b] ]IGNPC: What factions can we expect to see in the final product?

Michael de Plater: We're still finalizing this, but at the moment we have three playable Roman factions representing different political factions and great families of Rome as well as a number of Barbarian factions including the Gauls, Germans and Britons. There are also the Carthaginians and their allies including the Spanish, the Greek successor kingdoms of Alexander including the Seleucids and other factions such as the Egyptians and the Parthians. As in Medieval there are also a large number of smaller independent factions such as the Dacians and smaller Greek states like the Spartans etc.

ive read myself that you will compete against these other factions for positions in the senate, all the while battling to extend the empire's borders. Once you become powerfull enough CA has stated you can challenge the senate for the leadership of Rome. then you will have to fight a serious of Civil wars against the other Roman factions

hope that helps

SgtAndrew
06-03-2003, 17:32
Damn. From what Mike says there it seems like Sparta is a nonplayable faction. Damn. I sure hope not.

alman9898
06-04-2003, 03:13
we can always mod the game to make sparta playable

Balamir
06-04-2003, 06:55
Thanks for the help Monk, that clears things up.... But one thing is for sure, the faction which holds the city of Rome will be far more powerful. maybe they should make rome independent at the start and see who captures it first http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

ChaosShade
06-05-2003, 15:51
it looks like rome will be held by the senate who acts like an advanced pope...

Longshanks
06-05-2003, 16:16
Quote[/b] (SgtAndrew @ June 03 2003,11:32)]Damn. From what Mike says there it seems like Sparta is a nonplayable faction. Damn. I sure hope not.
Well if you have an itch to play as the Greeks Macedonia will be a playable faction.(They said the successor kingdoms of Alexander are playable,of which Macedonia is one)

Grifman
06-05-2003, 23:41
Why should the Spartans be playable? It's not like they were any longer a major power during this time. The Thebans had defeated them, and they had lost far too many men to even put together a decent fighting force in their latter years - their failure to make their helots citizens failed them in this respect. Hardly a force for any real Mediterranean power to fear, they often later had to rely upon mercenaries to support their depleted forces.

Grifman

econ21
06-06-2003, 09:34
Why should Britons be a playable faction? I don't recall them doing much in the period, except being invaded a couple of times. Suitable as a non-playable faction, IMO.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-06-2003, 15:27
The Britains are playable??? That's not good...

Longshanks
06-06-2003, 16:15
Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ June 06 2003,09:27)]The Britains are playable??? That's not good...
Well CA is a British company right? Thats why the Britons are in. Personally I'm not going to complain about which factions are in and which aren't. Just as long as there is some variety. You can always mod non-playable factions be playable also.

Balamir
06-06-2003, 16:22
Quote[/b] ] Well CA is a British company right?

Yeh thats a good point, the thing is on MTW, English have tons of exclusive units - billmen gallowglases longbows etc compared to other catholics. So I do expect some favour to Britons about that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif But still, the more factions, the more choices I'd say.

Nowake
06-06-2003, 16:28
british chariots should be in, although they were made peace meal by the romans http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-06-2003, 20:21
Quote[/b] (Longshanks @ June 06 2003,10:15)]
Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ June 06 2003,09:27)]The Britains are playable??? That's not good...
Well CA is a British company right? Thats why the Britons are in. Personally I'm not going to complain about which factions are in and which aren't. Just as long as there is some variety. You can always mod non-playable factions be playable also.
I'm British too, and I consider myself patriotic, but...We didn't expand, we didn't make any technological breakthroughs, we didn't have an advanced culture. All we did was get Vini, Vidi, Vici'd. If you want Celts, the Gauls would seem like a better choice.