PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguard unit?

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-04-2003, 18:01
I had an idea. Since CA has told us that Generals are now seperate units, perhaps a special bodyguard unit could be incorporated. This unit would have to be designated before battle.. However, there is a pecking order however-you can't make a unit of legionnaries your body guard if your army contains Praetorians.
This bodyguard unit would recieve a morale and valour boost if the General 'joins' their unit. This represents their determination to protect the general. This would also force you to make a choice; do you want your general behind the lines, running around a nd making your archers more accurate, or do you want him in the thick of the action, improving the fighting prowess of his bodyguard, but taking a risk. The bonuses that the bodyguard recieves could increase (up to a point) if you keep the general with the same unit for several battles to represent the general and his bodyguard 'bonding' and learning to trust each other. The bodyguard could also carry the army's standard-I haven't thought about what game effects this could have yet.

Post your thoughts.

Sir Robin
06-04-2003, 19:10
This is a good idea.

I have concerns about solitary generals being uber-units that will not die.

I feel that even though generals can be unique they should still have a unit that they are a part of.

Hakonarson
06-05-2003, 01:27
Absolutely - the Praetorian cohorte should not be a unit at all, instead individual generals should chose their own body guard, and that then becomes the Praetorian unit - since praetorian units weer initially jsut that- the generals' bodyguards

Even with the advent of the Praetorian Guard they weren't necessarily the close bodyguard of the emperor - many 1st century Emperors prefered foreign guards such as German cavalry.

RisingSun
06-05-2003, 02:10
Actually, didnt they say Generals were seperate units asin, distinguishable on the battlefield? I remembr seeing Centurions and those aqui... thingies. And I've also seen unique individual generals leading a unit. So maybe just a normal general is a centurion figure, and a royal one is in purple-ish clothes, like the guy in the first movie.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-05-2003, 07:09
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ June 04 2003,20:10)]Actually, didnt they say Generals were seperate units asin, distinguishable on the battlefield? I remembr seeing Centurions and those aqui... thingies. And I've also seen unique individual generals leading a unit. So maybe just a normal general is a centurion figure, and a royal one is in purple-ish clothes, like the guy in the first movie.
I know generals were seperate units, I was suggesting there should be a bodyguard unit that they could 'Join'.

Balamir
06-05-2003, 09:05
The bodyguard seems a good idea, but maybe Ca will put the general in the middle of the unit, then I dont think a bodyguard would be useful? Or maybe the general of the unit should be a cavalry unit? Anyways, still a bodyguard unit could be handy because some sneaky bastards (like myself) would simply charge his units into the genreal to give the unit a morale penalty. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif it can be too easy and I wouldnt want that to happen