PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Portrait for VI

komninos
06-24-2003, 08:31
Hi all,

Does any one know how the exception portraits work in the VI and what is the structure needed. I have tied to duplicate the structure of Vikings but the game froze at faction selection screen with "Exception Portrait not found" message.

Lord Of Storms
06-24-2003, 20:27
Clarify "Exception portrait" I am not clear on what you are speaking of?

komninos
06-24-2003, 20:49
Hi LoS,

In VI you can difine a faction to get its portaits from a different folder i.e. Viking
following there is the extract from viking startpos file.
Code Sample
//========================================
//
// Override function for the portraits..
//
// When this is specified the game will
// ignore the factions culture when
// locating the portrait images and
// use this folder instead..
//
//========================================

PortraitsOverride:: FN_07 "vikings"
[/QUOTE]

This leads to a directory in campmap/Portraits where there is Catholic, Muslim, Orthodox, Pagan for the Caltures. In VI there is also a Vikings in the Vikings there is the usal structure of Catholic, Muslim, Orthodox, Pagan pluse a viking that leads to the viking portraits of kings, Princes, ... etc.
Has any one found out how we can use this th generate new set of portraits i.e. for the Hellenic we might need as extra set like the viking for different nations and not simply by calture

Lord Of Storms
06-24-2003, 20:57
I would say in theory it is possible if like the example FN_07 points to a specific faction not a culture you could add more than one line, but the new portrait folders would have to follow the same file structure as the existing ones i.e. your new folder could be called "Hellenic" but in this you would have to have seprate folders for all the needed portaits like King,Prince,General etc. so if you made a folder for each faction that followed the same structure you could have a folder for each faction.and it should work.

komninos
06-25-2003, 07:35
I did it, and failed miserably http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Though generic portraits were ok ie all Greek faction followed the Orthodox, for the Northern Barbarians I would like to use the Celtic portraits of VI while keeping the pagan (Asian like portraits) for the skithans/frigians.
All worked well except the Northern barbarians http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif the structure looked OK but it could not find the thing. I guess no one has experimented with it yet ... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Grell
06-25-2003, 15:25
This works fine but if you want the Viking and Celtic portraits in the main campaign or a modded campiagn (like i have done) you just copy and rename the

C:\Program Files\Total War\Med Vikings\campmap\Portraits\Vikings

folders:
\Catholic (which is the celt ones in the Vik camp), and
\Vikings (the norse ones)

rename them, i renamed them Celtic and Norse respectively and copy these renamed folders into the main campaign directory which is

C:\Program Files\Total War\Med Vikings\campmap\Portraits

Easy - you can now use all the Vikings portraits in the main campaign without having to overwrite the Asian Mongol Pagan ones. E.g. you can have the Danes a Catholic faction using the Vikings portraits, just do what i explained above and to the startpos file add in the line:

PortraitsOverride:: FN_DANISH "norse"

or whatever you decided to call the copied folder.

komninos
06-25-2003, 17:03
Exelent thanks mate