PDA

View Full Version : Tidying up of threads

Mount Suribachi
09-09-2003, 19:11
It has occured to me that a lot of the PBEM threads are quite sprawling and the stories get lost amongst the numerous other posts asking questions etc.

What do you think we should do with the threads? Have Demon of Light delete them and create a new thread containing only the accounts of each reign or just leave the threads as they are, non-story posts and all?

Secondly regarding the retaining of threads. Cheetah I believe is the mod responsible for archiving and deleting old threads. I don't know what the rules are for what gets deleted and what gets archived nor how long before a thread is eligable for archiving. My point is this, I think it would be best if each dynasty was compiled into its own story only thread and left here in the Throne Room. Unlike other forums at the Org, we don't generate a ton of threads here so the backlog would be small. Then when anyone discovers this forum for the first time they can come across all these great threads in once place and read em there and then. If you leave these new abridged threads open, then each time someone new discovers them and posts a comment they get bumped so that hopefully even more will discover them (a la the excellent story forums at apolyton.net). I think if the dynasty threads get archived they'll be lost forever.

What do you guys think? I reckon we also need some input from the mods regarding the archiving situation etc.

Demon of Light
09-09-2003, 21:35
It would be great if I could tidy up threads and only leave the stories behind. Unfortunately I can't. My powers don't extend that far. You'll notice that I don't wear the rags and retained the Grand Inquisitor avatar. That means I can't do all the things a regular moderator can do. I'll look into creating glorious reign threads for the others but it is worth noting that this is a task that anyone can embrace. I don't think we're in any danger as far as having the threads archived goes but I have to admit that I've not been enlightened with respect to how this goes. Perhaps a mod could drop me a PM with details?

ShadesWolf
09-10-2003, 07:24
I can tidy threads up. (delete stuff we dont need in them)

With regards to archiving generally we have to send stuff to him to be archived.

As I dont expect to have 100's of threads in this forum, IMHO it wont be a problem....

Mount Suribachi
09-15-2003, 15:49
Perhaps we should make it a rule that the person who starts a PBEM campaign is responsible for collecting all the accounts into one thread, then a mod can delete the original thread with all the extraneous stuff (as Demon of Light did with the earliest PBEM campaigns.