PDA

View Full Version : Tavern

TosaInu
09-22-2003, 17:27
Konnichiwa,

There are callings to split the Tavern: a room for political and a room for the 'lighter' topics. It could be made like The Dungeon and Story/PBM forums are made: one Tavern with a Front- and BackRoom.

There are cons and pros, what would you like to see?

The Scourge
09-22-2003, 17:52
Sometimes political enemys will find common ground in the lighter in tone(Silly.) threads.
This might not happen with the addition of an another room.
That ,as I see it is a pretty big con.So I say leave it as it is.

Wellington
09-22-2003, 18:54
I don't much mind either way, but it just seems to me that sooner or later topics will spill over from the "political" forum to the "lighter" forum.

Anyway, how are you guys going to differentiate between what comprises a political post and what doesn't?

Also, it sounds like a moderators nightmare to me People will probably find there posts getting moved frequently and get a bit pee'd off with it eventually.

Welly

Dhepee
09-22-2003, 21:43
I agree with Wellington. It's a fine line between what's political and what's not. One of the things that I didn't like about .com, and a lot of other people griped about it too, was that the mods spent so much time closing and moving threads that were too political. No one could agree what was political or not, and it ended up killing a lot of discussions.

Sjakihata
09-24-2003, 18:14
I think it is a great idea

A place for people who like to debate "boring" politics and a room for people who like to talk about giant gophers etc.

A lot of light topics get invaded with political undertones resulting in an all out (flame)war.

If you split it, obvious political will go into one and light to the other, if any doubt let them be at light and move if it turns into politics.

Demon of Light
09-26-2003, 09:16
This essentially means we would be creating a truly useless forum comprised of nothing but fluff. Light subjects by defination are not important subjects. Any subject of importance requires a person to make a stand based on their beliefs. I'll grant that this is where we get problems in the Tavern but an entire forum with no real substantive topics might as well be named "Spam City".

Kraellin
09-26-2003, 16:12
Quote[/b] ]This essentially means we would be creating a truly useless forum comprised of nothing but fluff. Light subjects by defination are not important subjects.

on the contrary. i find the 'serious' topics to be the ones that are truly unimportant. all that posturing and brow-beating and 'my way or the highway' garbage, is just so much hot air with no relevant effectiveness. i've never seen one person change his mind in all those hot air topics in my life. it's just a hotbed for 'being right'. whereas the 'fluff' raises spirits, enlightens, entertains, amuses and is the far more important thing to me.

i rarely even bother with any of the political or 'news' type threads any more. if i wanted all that junk, i'd turn on CNN or MSNBC and fill my life with misery and despair. that seems to be all they're interested in and all they find 'newsworthy'. bah. silliness. and frankly, i find it annoying that we cater to this type of thread at all, let alone setting up a separate cesspool somewhere out of sight for those that seem to enjoy this type of 'debate'.

you do realise that it's never a debate, right? i used to participate in these types of 'debate' before on various forums and after a while you finally realise that you're pissing in the wind. it's never a debate. a debate implies communication and communication implies that you actually listen and consider and understand what the other person has said. take any democrat and any republican and put them in a room together and ask them to communicate on politics. you'll find one of them dead in short order.

my real point and reason for wanting separate 'rooms' for the tavern is simple; i dont want to have to wade through 10 'political/news' type threads to get to the ones i enjoy. to me, the political/news type stuff is the spam. it's the 'let's find everything that's wrong with the world and debate it and report on it and ignore the good side of life and rub it in everyone's noses so they'll be as depressed and despondent as we are and we can then control them or at least despair with them together' that i find is the real 'spam', and not just in the tavern.

if the lighter, more enjoyable side of life is 'fluff' and 'not important', then give me the fluff and unimportant and let others drown themselves in the misery and futility of politics and 'news'.

K.

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
09-26-2003, 18:06
Oddly enough, I think the Story / PBM forum shall united... I am not sure that the split between the Mead Hall and the Throne Room is really helpfull.
It's OT, but I would put them back together.

For the Tavern. I enter the brawl from time to time, but I second Kraellin; a forum on serious issue is an exercise in futility.

Still, I don't think it would be a good thing to split those. Sometimes a serious/futile topic get hijacked in a funny way. To keep those separated might make the serious more stiff. We don't need that.

What makes a trip to the Tavern fun? the fact that, like in a pub, one can have a discussion 'pour reconstruire le monde' or on soccer, movie, light stuff or whatever. But you don't know beforehand on which topic the conversation will go...

Louis,

FesterShinetop
09-28-2003, 12:16
Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ Sep. 26 2003,16:12)]on the contrary. i find the 'serious' topics to be the ones that are truly unimportant. all that posturing and brow-beating and 'my way or the highway' garbage, is just so much hot air with no relevant effectiveness. i've never seen one person change his mind in all those hot air topics in my life. it's just a hotbed for 'being right'. whereas the 'fluff' raises spirits, enlightens, entertains, amuses and is the far more important thing to me.
Very well said Krae I totally agree It also seems to be a new thing to just find some news and post it here... then wait 'till the flaming starts.

Portuguese Rebel
10-10-2003, 21:45
IMO the light topics are essential to cool of the Tavern. Without the light ones (where everybody has innocent fun and tend to agree) an heavier enviroment could be created and the moderators would have more trouble. Let the guy blow off some steam with the light topics.

ShaiHulud
10-27-2003, 22:55
I suggest that one must solve one of those Mensa puzzles every time they wish to enter the Tavern. (Yah, I'd never get in...)

The quality of the posts might not improve, but, at least we'd know that it's an inherently intelligent person with that rediculous point of view. hehehe

Btw, this is my first visit to the Watchtower. I thought it was a Jehovah's Witness hangout... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Papewaio
10-27-2003, 23:59
I like the Tavern as it is.

It is like a good sweet and spicey pork.

The political debates need something to cool them off from time to time.

Also one mans religion is another mans politics is another mans science is another mans art.

LittleGrizzly
10-28-2003, 00:46
personally i think it would be best if they stayed together

Portuguese Rebel
10-28-2003, 02:07
Quote[/b] ]Btw, this is my first visit to the Watchtower. I thought it was a Jehovah's Witness hangout...

Hehehe

rasoforos
10-28-2003, 02:41
i too like the tavern as it is. Its this crazy mixture of subjects that makes it so popular.

dessa14
10-28-2003, 02:46
i think you should keep the tavern together it would be hard to control political threads anyway they would pop up everywhere also we should make the senior patrons able to post in the tavern if we don't then they will continue to post non game related threads in the main hall
thanks dessa

The_Emperor
10-29-2003, 23:13
I think The Tavern is great as it is, and an extra forum could create some confusion.

We can have "Light hearted fluffy stuff" that is also "Political" (joke images of politicians spring to mind) so where would the line be drawn?

DemonArchangel
10-30-2003, 04:42
Well, we lost Portuguese Rebel.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Mount Suribachi
11-01-2003, 16:45
He's not the first and he won't be the last to quit here.

Basically, I agree with everything Kraellin said. Arguing about politics or religion on the internet is a totally pointless waste of time.

So you get to the situation like the Tavern is today where 75% of the topics are about the SAME SUBJECTS Go there, have a look, they nearly all boil down to the same thing - America does/doesn't suck. Lotsa people with 2 opposing views, arguments get heated. Repeatedly. Then someone starts a new argument. Then a new one. Then another one. Tempers flare. Patrons get banned (Dave). Patrons leave (PR). Tavern is dominated by the same dozen or so people arguing over the same topics again and again. Other Patrons ignore the Tavern and think "whats the point of posting a light hearted topic, it will only get buried under another evil amerika thread".

Lots is being made of PRs leaving, but others (including me) have left before, we just didn't all leave suicide notes. If PR is upset at the way he feels people have treated him, he only has himself to blame as he is as guilty as anyone for constantly posting things that wind up or upset others.

The regular *cough* "debaters" in the tavern seem to be the ones most keen to keep it the way it is. But what about the hundreds of other patrons who won't go near the Tavern because its just full of angry political arguments. To whoever it was who said that anything non-politics was not a topic worth talking about....huh???? So sport, other computer games, books, films don't deserve to be discussed? As it is frogbeastegg is trying to get the Mead Hall going to discuss those kind of things *precisely because it is impossible to get a discussion on them going in the tavern*.

Basically, there are 2 options that I can see.

1) A seperate political forum

2) A *self-imposed*, ban on political threads, or at least a moritorium on them. I do not believe a moderator ban is the way forward. But surely we are all sensible enough to see that nothing is currently being gained by Idaho and Portuguese Rebel arguing in every thread with Jacques Strapp and Redleg. Who's gunna be banned next? Who's gunna leave next? Where does it end?

The_Emperor
11-01-2003, 18:16
You have a very good point there Mount.

PR's leaving has been quite a surprise to most of us. But your right in that we only in effect have those two options with dealing with politcal threads.

So we either move it from the Tavern to somewhere else, or impose a ban on political threads, or just try to discourage political posts from being made in general.

While I do like the Tavern the way it has been, there is the continuing issue with political posts being misunderstood by members and taken in the wrong context.

Moving Political debates to another forum would not stop the problem of misunderstandings, it would just shift it out of the way... But the Tavern might have a better atmosphere as a result.

But a full on ban seems like a bit of an extreme solution to this.

dessa14
11-02-2003, 04:52
well you could use tempory bans on people who make angry offensive comments about politics in the tavern this would restrict people to post intelligent informative posts instead of my opinion is better than yours. im right your wrong the tavern annoys me because most people there are self-rightous.
thanks dessa

A.Saturnus
11-02-2003, 18:44
Quote[/b] (dessa14 @ Nov. 02 2003,04:52)]well you could use tempory bans on people who make angry offensive comments about politics in the tavern this would restrict people to post intelligent informative posts instead of my opinion is better than yours. im right your wrong the tavern annoys me because most people there are self-rightous.
thanks dessa
That´s just the way it is. Permanent bans are rare. Up to now, everyone got at least a second chance.

Mount Suribachi, I disagree. It´s never pointless to discuss important issues. If you expect that people will actually change their mind, you´ll be disappointed. But that´s not the purpose of discussions. It is important that we compare our points of view and challenge the convictions of others (and let others challenge ours). Foreclosure is not the reluctance to change your mind, but the uninterest in arguments about it. I don´t think anything Redleg or Jacque (or Exile - whereever he may be) have said here ever made my change my position, but I still value their comments. It is for this I´m coming back here.
I´m against splitting the Tavern or a ban of political topics, because these discussions are (most of the time) what makes the Tavern attractive (for me - and I think for some others as well). Surely there are other subjects worth talking about. Everyone is free to make a thread about it. Most threads in the Tavern are non-political. It´s the mixture that´s so nice about the Tavern.
BTW, I´m planning to make a really interesting thread about statistical procedures soon - so watch out http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

I´m sad that Rebel left. I have my own opinion on this, but I won´t discuss it, as I´m probably one of the reasons for it. But his departure says nothing about the quality of this forum.

Hosakawa Tito
11-03-2003, 02:36
I don't believe splitting the Tavern will make much difference. Political arguements between individuals will only carry over into the non-political section, and create more work in moving topics, determining what's political debate and what's just a joke, etc... I don't have much trouble picking out the light hearted thread, they generally stand out easily. I have to read them all anyway, so no matter to me.
As far as some patrons deciding to leave, that is their decision, and have always been welcomed back. Most of us need to ponder this:The only consistent feature of all your dissatifying relationships is you.

Dhepee
11-03-2003, 17:17
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ Nov. 01 2003,10:45)]2) A *self-imposed*, ban on political threads, or at least a moritorium on them. I do not believe a moderator ban is the way forward. But surely we are all sensible enough to see that nothing is currently being gained by Idaho and Portuguese Rebel arguing in every thread with Jacques Strapp and Redleg. Who's gunna be banned next? Who's gunna leave next? Where does it end?
That was exacly the reason that I left totalwar.com's forums. They put a blanket ban on anything involving politics, religion, or anything else that was divisive. The idea was that people would discuss lighthearted topics, other games, books, tell jokes, stuff like that. The result is that you start a lighthearted thread and it starts to get interesting and then someone says something even a little political, someone else disagrees, and it gets locked.

At one point over half the threads on page one were locked. The mods' relationships with the patrons seemed really strained. With such a limit on topics soon there were no interesting threads, and it became very boring. I came to the org specifically because of the quote that people would throw out whenever someone mentioned politics, "go to the org" or "this isn't the org". I figured what the hell the org sounds like a great place, not a bunch of people fighting with the mods because the rules say the mods have to lock so many of the threads.

The contention began to spill over into other rooms on the .com, many other discussions on things like strategy or units became strained as people didn't have a vent for whatever they were feeling or trying to say. There were seeminly mundane threads on how to use archers or cavalry that turned into flame wars. If you went back to the off topic forum and looked around you would see that the flamers had briefly locked horns over something political, the thread was shutdown, and the next time that they saw each other in a totally different forum, the gloves went off. The irony was that in the locked up political thread they might not have been flaming each other. It made all of the forums boring and divisive and it turned the mods into traffic cops when they should have just been experienced volunteers watching the flow of discussion.

The mods on the com did a great job but the rule really started to stifle discussion and created what felt like a very fractious environment. What I like so much about the org and what keeps bringing me back is that people have so many free flowing discussions. I have butted heads with people in the Tavern and then a couple of days later we participated in a thread critiquing the use of archers or suggesting a unit for RTW. There are some people who leave or who get too wrapped up in what goes on in the tavern but by and large people seem to really get on pretty well and have some great conversations. The Entrance Hall seems like a great check for people who are eager to pick fights. The mods see it early and don't promote them, eventually they lose interest and leave. Other people get knocked back to Junior Patron and have to show that they can behave and then they get moved back up, if they don't behave then they will get stuck in one forum and eventually wander off. That system of a check on members acts as a safety valve for keeping the org a great place to post much better than banning "fractious topics" ever would.

Mount Suribachi
11-08-2003, 22:40
Is it just me or has the tavern become much less political since PR quit? Maybe its been a reality check for all the patrons?

rasoforos
11-08-2003, 23:19
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ Nov. 08 2003,15:40)]Is it just me or has the tavern become much less political since PR quit? Maybe its been a reality check for all the patrons?
Naaah http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

L`zard
11-09-2003, 00:36
Why call it a 'tavern' if people can't get a little lippy on occasion?

This (.org) as a whole is quite civil, compared to other communities.

It aint broke, don't fix it.

(just my two florins) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

'sides, the moderators will get bored if there's totally nothing for them to do, eh?

(Boredom:Total War? The mods reregister as 'agents provocoteur'(sp) and start flame wars????)

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Demon of Light
11-09-2003, 09:45
The Tavern is going to be alot more quiet now. Daveinkorea left. Not sure how much a positive it is though.(not even sure how much a negative it is either) Time will tell.

hrvojej
11-09-2003, 23:15
There are many things I consider uninteresting or just downright offensive and even distasteful in the tavern, but I switch on the ignore mode, and skip both threads and posts and their authors of that sort. Sure, we all have our buttons, and cannot keep our cool on all possible occasions, but for that to be modus operandi 95% of the time, while it should be vice versa, doesn't really say as much about the topics as it says about the people posting in such manner. And hence it's not an inherent problem of the tavern or the people moderating it, and would not be solved by splitting rooms.

I too choose not to post in vast majority of the realpolitik threads, but if I couldn't do that and instead got pissed off every time I read something that is not in line with what I believe in, not just realpolitik but everything else, I would have only myself to blame.

And I agree that suicide notes are silly. And btw, daveinkorea already "left" at least three times before.

Dhepee
11-10-2003, 20:48
Forum "suicide notes" are just another form of self-indulgence. You say, "I've had and I'm never coming back" and everyone tells you how much they will miss your brilliant insights and you get a little rush, and then a couple of months later you get to say "I've missed you guys" and everyone one says welcome back and pats you on the back. It's like when your wife says, "Am I pretty", you always say, "Yes dear, as pretty as the day I met you."

A.Saturnus
11-12-2003, 01:26
Quote[/b] (Dhepee @ Nov. 10 2003,20:48)]Forum "suicide notes" are just another form of self-indulgence. You say, "I've had and I'm never coming back" and everyone tells you how much they will miss your brilliant insights and you get a little rush, and then a couple of months later you get to say "I've missed you guys" and everyone one says welcome back and pats you on the back. It's like when your wife says, "Am I pretty", you always say, "Yes dear, as pretty as the day I met you."
Yes, I did this too once. Strangely though, instead of urging me to stay, people became angry and the thread had to be closed http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
11-12-2003, 10:52
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Nov. 12 2003,00:26)]
Quote[/b] (Dhepee @ Nov. 10 2003,20:48)]Forum "suicide notes" are just another form of self-indulgence. You say, "I've had and I'm never coming back" and everyone tells you how much they will miss your brilliant insights and you get a little rush, and then a couple of months later you get to say "I've missed you guys" and everyone one says welcome back and pats you on the back. It's like when your wife says, "Am I pretty", you always say, "Yes dear, as pretty as the day I met you."
Yes, I did this too once. Strangely though, instead of urging me to stay, people became angry and the thread had to be closed http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif Are you still here? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

A.Saturnus
11-12-2003, 17:00
Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ Nov. 12 2003,10:52)]
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Nov. 12 2003,00:26)]
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif Are you still here? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif
More than ever http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hosakawa Tito
11-12-2003, 17:16
We're still cleaning up the rotten tomato mess from that one. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Ser Clegane
11-12-2003, 17:40
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Nov. 11 2003,18:26)]
Maybe it was a bad idea to leave by saying "Bugger you all"

(j/k) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Papewaio
11-13-2003, 04:15
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Nov. 12 2003,09:26)]Yes, I did this too once. Strangely though, instead of urging me to stay, people became angry and the thread had to be closed http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif
Sounds like the perfect moderator.

Unloved and can never leave http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif.

Brutal DLX
11-13-2003, 13:23
My opinion is more like: If it ain't fixed, don't break it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

MrWhipple
11-14-2003, 00:40
I am in the "how do you difine political?" camp. One persons political is annothers lite, and who is to decide. No offence intended, but I certanly hope that the mods are NOT the gatekeepers of the politicaly correct. They have opinions as diverse as the patrons. And where would you put a lite political thread like a hamster running for Mayor. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

TosaInu
11-14-2003, 10:45
Konnichiwa,

Banning politics from the tavern is not something I consider (I personally don't care about the subject of topics as long as you have fun together, exception is real 18+ content). There shouldn't be a 100% seperation between politics and other OT topics either, like pointed out by many.

It seems hard to keep the 'lighter' topics alive as the Tavern is quite busy and politics are 'dominant'. But that's only an impression I have, what's the opinion of the visitors there?

So, the question is more: should there be another extra 'Tavern' for 'light' stuff only? That could be of the same construction as the Dungeon: a bar to drink whisky and tables to have a coke/beer.

Brutal DLX
11-14-2003, 13:00
Quote[/b] (TosaInu @ Nov. 14 2003,09:45)]So, the question is more: should there be another extra 'Tavern' for 'light' stuff only? That could be of the same construction as the Dungeon: a bar to drink whisky and tables to have a coke/beer.
I think it's best to simply try it, you could always close the new forum if it's hardly frequented. Perhaps it would be a good place to post pictures and screenshots, instead of the pinned topics in the tavern.

A.Saturnus
11-15-2003, 02:14
Quote[/b] (Brutal DLX @ Nov. 14 2003,13:00)]
Quote[/b] (TosaInu @ Nov. 14 2003,09:45)]So, the question is more: should there be another extra 'Tavern' for 'light' stuff only? That could be of the same construction as the Dungeon: a bar to drink whisky and tables to have a coke/beer.
I think it's best to simply try it, you could always close the new forum if it's hardly frequented. Perhaps it would be a good place to post pictures and screenshots, instead of the pinned topics in the tavern.
I would rather like it the way it is. As I and others said before, it´s the mixture of topics. If we have a seperated forum for light stuff, the tension in the political parts would be greater. I think the reason why light topics don´t live to long is more something inheritant in those topics. A joke becomes lame when you know it too well and after not too long funny threads have worn off.
What I would like to see is more life in non-political discussions. But that´s nothing seperation can help.

meravelha
05-06-2004, 04:34
I haven't been here very long but I must say that the political discussions here (and they exist on all forums) are more educated and more civil than any I have seen elsewhere.

Perhaps it is because an interest in history rather implies a heightened consciousness of political causes and events.

In any case I have found the Monastary to be an excellent place for quieter studies and hope to spend a lot of time there (Mouzafphaere is encouraging me there to take up a new language and I am more than happy to oblige :)

I am grateful to be part of a forum where the communication is so rewarding.

solypsist
05-06-2004, 04:47
yet another topic-forum is just one more way to spam.

I'd prefer to keep the Tavern as it is, and just disable polls in there.

ichi
05-06-2004, 06:28
Whoa, another thread back from the dead.

And this one especially

I hate it when a fun thread gets buried under a ton of politics, and lately the Tavern has been seeing a lot of the so-called liberal/conservative XBSB.

But I think it is like any good bar - lots of people talking about lots of stuff. Seems like it is OK without splitting.

Still fascinates me how these threads get revived

ichi

jayrock
05-08-2004, 01:52
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ May 05 2004,19:47)]yet another topic-forum is just one more way to spam.

I'd prefer to keep the Tavern as it is, and just disable polls in there.
i'll second the disabling poll thing, their getting ridiculous...

other than that its fine the way it is.

Gawain of Orkeny
05-08-2004, 03:52
Many light discussions suddenly change to political ones at the drop of a hat. Its amazing. I'm afraid I'm one of the biggest perpetrators of this but I cant stop myself when I see the opportunity to get a zing in. Some political discussions are quite light. My personal favorite is the If the US was really like the Romans? Its great fun. I'm not for censorship so no politics is against my basic instincts. Let the mods do their job. I like the variety thats posted in the tavern now. If you go to a real bar what are people usually talking about, other than sex?

dessa14
05-08-2004, 04:01
umm, Sport
i have never heard people talking politics at the bar. they are always talking about what happened yesterday in their life or how the broncos beat the roosters in the rugby league.

thanks, dessa

ICantSpellDawg
05-15-2004, 23:30
i think if people start arguing that it should go into the tavern (like who is hotter, papa smurf or gargamel)

as long as it isnt a touchy subject and almost all possible emotional stimulation is absent, it should remain in the front room

im for it - its a good idea

every once in a while i go to the tavern to read something non-partisan and funny, but i get lambasted with anti-bush/american jokes etc

id liek to hear one about a cat buggerin a rat or something retarded