PDA

View Full Version : Colors and shields from Vikings

Hardrada
10-01-2003, 17:59
Is it possible, or has anyone tried, to copy the flags, shields and colors from a faction in Vikings to one of the regular factions in MTW. Example: Scots colors, flags, and shields copied to the Sicilians? Is their format different?
[Not copying factions over; just the colors, etc.]

Gregoshi
10-02-2003, 15:24
Can any modders comment on this?

From a non-modder perspective, it makes sense that the format is the same and you could do this. What is the reality though?

Wellington
10-03-2003, 02:16
Quote[/b] (Hardrada @ Oct. 01 2003,11:59)]Is it possible, or has anyone tried, to copy the flags, shields and colors from a faction in Vikings to one of the regular factions in MTW. Example: Scots colors, flags, and shields copied to the Sicilians? Is their format different?
[Not copying factions over; just the colors, etc.]
Yes, a few people have done this.

The formats are not different but it may be a little confusing trying to figure where the hell everything is.

The flags are contained in several places and some (eg castleflags.bif) are contained in Bifs as muti-frames (ie: 20 or so flag images in 1 graphics file) so you'd have to use Bifreader to change the frames.

Faction colours in VI can be changed in the startpos file (Early/Late/High).

Shields are all over the place. Are you talking campaign shield images or battlefield shield images? Basically the units shields are caonatined in the same BIFs as the units (with some exceptions for special units - knights etc )

You'd have to repost this in the Dungeon and give a little more detail as to what exactly you wish to change (as there are many flag/shield images throughout MTW/VI) and someone or other will point you in the right direction.

One other idea is to download a mod (eg - Komninos Hellenistic mod) that has changed all these things and then look at the download to see what files/locations have been changed. In this way you can relate the chnages in that mod to the contents of VI/MTW and the light bulb should begin to glow

Welly

Hardrada
10-04-2003, 16:14
[B]Kudos to you, fine sir. I will check some other mods. This should help a lot. It seems I overlooked the fact that the castleflags have that many frames. This could be my problem Thanks for the help.

Live long and prosper

Wellington
10-04-2003, 20:14
Quote[/b] (Hardrada @ Oct. 04 2003,10:14)][B]Kudos to you, fine sir. I will check some other mods. This should help a lot. It seems I overlooked the fact that the castleflags have that many frames. This could be my problem Thanks for the help.

Live long and prosper
Bear in mind that for such multi-frame BIFs every graphics image in the BIF will share the same 256-colour palette (only ever 1 colour palette in a BIF - regardless of the number of frames). In other words, just 256 colours to represent 20 or so flags for 20 different factions.

However, such multi-frame BIFs are only used for images on the campaign map (or custom battles etc ) - whereby the resolution does;nt necessary have to as high as images on an MTW battlefields.

It's still a bit of drawback, however, if you wish to create an entirely new image in a multi-frame BIF (a flag for such-or-such a nation) that requires significantly different colours to those currently containe din that BIFs single palette.