PDA

View Full Version : modding unit sizes

Oaty
10-05-2003, 07:50
What I am planning on doing is increasing unit sizes and decreasing some to see if I can get better battles.

My plan is to make all spearclass units 200 men. I'm doing this to make the game a little more of a challenge in hopes that it makes more of a battle of trying to outflank the army instead of outflanking each individual unit.

All the rest of the anti cavalry such as halbrediers and billmen units I think I will keep the same.

Basiaclly any thing that starts battle with the default of hold formation gets 200 men and all other anticavalry units stay the same

As far as most shock troops I,m looking at probably increasing there size to 80 except for the Byzantines Byzantine infantry wich I don't know wether to make 200 or 150 kind of a tough 1 there since that is the core of there armybut could give them an even bigger advantage in battle due to outnumbering everyones shock troops significantly but may be balanced since they don't get any spear units

As far as skirmishers I'm looking at keeping archers the same or decreased a bit and even possibly decreasing there ammo except for longbows wich I will probably increase both there unit size and ammo since they were such a significant part of the English army. I'm doing this because the main purpose of archers in battle was to soften the enemy before the lines engaged. This will make archers have much less of a significant role in battles. Crossbows and arbelisters will have the same size as the archers but probably will keep there stack of bolts the same. As far as javelineers I'm looking at decreasing there size to 40 but taking there stack of javelins from 4 to 6 making them more maneuverable but with almost the same effect with the increased stack size.

As far as cavalry the non missle cavalry I'm looking at increasing them to 50 to match the increase of shock troops so they still will have the same effect against those troops. As for the mislle cavalry I'm looking at keeping them the same size to maintain there manuverability

All peasant class units will double in size wich may make them a little more effective since only the spearclas units doubled in size.

Urban militia will be doubled in size to 120 so if the comp does train them they have a little more effect. Militia sergeants I will probably increase to 100 men.

I might make both Berber and Bedoin camels to the size of 60 or 70 since the comp doesnt realize they should try to keep them in the desert at all times except in emergencies. This will make them a little more effective when they hit the lush terrain right outside the desert and also give the muslim factions a little more power in the desert since there is that neverending debate that muslim factions are weaker.

Boyars I guess I will have to increase to 50 since they are a royal unit so the king is better protected and all bodyguards will be increased to 25 and Kataphractoi will be reduced to 1 since they are so powerful... well I guess I will make them a 50 man unit even though I hate them

Siegeweapons will stay the same along with taking 2 years to train and all other units will keep there same amount of training time

Lord Of Storms
10-05-2003, 15:09
You can modify unit size via the unit prod 11 file, I suggest you use gnome editor it lays the unit and build prods as long as projectile stats out in a very easy to edit format. You should be able to find it on the Org downloads page under GnomeUnitbuild_Proj_editorV2.0. One thing to note as garrison sizes per castle are limited when making large units you will need to mindful of this...LOS

Gregoshi
10-06-2003, 00:32
Moving this to the Dungeon -> Alchemist lab forum.