PDA

View Full Version : French turcopoles?

Lord Guilt
10-08-2003, 16:29
I could be going crazy but Im sure I saw Turcopoles as a French unit in custome battle select screen. I've got the VI version and sure enough under CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11 the French have Turcoples. Was this a mistake or not?

(sorry if this has already been awnsered, coudnt find it anywhere.)

Degtyarev14.5
10-08-2003, 16:51
The Turcopoles units are there to represent the horse archer mercenaries hired by the Catholics during the crusades, after they realised that they needed to adapt to the tactics of their enemies. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

A.

Lord Guilt
10-08-2003, 16:55
Oh right and theres me thinking it was a mistake. I never knew that Cheers ArseClown

Stratagos Desaix
10-08-2003, 17:19
The Turcopoles were an invaluble asset to the crusader armies,alot were actually member's of the knights Templar however they were rather unreliable when things were going against them.In summary great on the battlefield worthless in a siege.They were either local muslim converts or Armenian christians and the Turcopolier (their commanding officer) was considered the fifth most powerful position within the Templars.

The Wizard
10-08-2003, 18:10
Turcopoles added mobility to the otherwise slow-moving knights that tired quickly in the desert because they were so heavily armoured.

Also, Turcopoles are considered French units in the game to simulate the fact that most crusaders were Frankish.
Well, in the eyes of the Saracens anyways. ^_^;

lancer63
10-08-2003, 18:31
You mean only the French can train/hire turcopoles? No wonder I've never seen one.

Lord Guilt
10-08-2003, 18:48
Quote[/b] (lancer63 @ Oct. 08 2003,12:31)]You mean only the French can train/hire turcopoles? No wonder I've never seen one.
Correct me if Im wrong but anyone who owns ANTIOCH,EDESSA, SYRIA or TRIPOLI can train Turcopoles. Its only in a custom battle that the French can choose Turcopoles.

lancer63
10-08-2003, 18:58
Quote[/b] (Lord Guilt @ Oct. 08 2003,12:48)]Correct me if Im wrong but anyone who owns ANTIOCH,EDESSA, SYRIA or TRIPOLI can train Turcopoles. Its only in a custom battle that the French can choose Turcopoles.
I've been there as the Bisantines, the Egyptians, the Turks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif, the Hungarians and once as the Spaniards and have never seen one single turcopole unit.
Are they like the almughavars which you only find in Aragon as mercs and only one year before the end of the game?

Lord Guilt
10-08-2003, 19:10
Quote[/b] (lancer63 @ Oct. 08 2003,12:58)]
Quote[/b] (Lord Guilt @ Oct. 08 2003,12:48)]Correct me if Im wrong but anyone who owns ANTIOCH,EDESSA, SYRIA or TRIPOLI can train Turcopoles. Its only in a custom battle that the French can choose Turcopoles.
I've been there as the Bisantines, the Egyptians, the Turks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif, the Hungarians and once as the Spaniards and have never seen one single turcopole unit.
Are they like the almughavars which you only find in Aragon as mercs and only one year before the end of the game?
This is strange because even though I hav'nt been there with a faction, its unit file clearly states that turcopoles can be trained by ALL_FACTIONS with HORSE_BREEDER2 and in ALL_PERIODS. And ive just noticed that for some reason they put the Germans as having a troop advantage when training this unit?
I can understand you not being able to train them under Byz, Egptian and Turks because they got the turcopoles as Catholic only. But the Spaniards and Hungarians should have been able to train them.

Kraxis
10-08-2003, 23:09
Guilt it also says you need to be 'CATHOLIC'...

Oaty
10-09-2003, 05:15
I coulda sworn I seen the Turkish army with Turcoples with the wesmod. Coulda been by mercanaries or just my dumb mistake

Lord Guilt
10-09-2003, 11:12
Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ Oct. 08 2003,17:09)]Guilt it also says you need to be 'CATHOLIC'...
That does mean only Catholic factions can build it with a horsebreedersguild right? So Lancer63 could have trained Turcopoles with the Spaniards or Hungarians.
I guess il start a new campaign and investigate.

pyj99
10-09-2003, 13:57
Hi,

With Spain you can train Turcopole in the relevant provinces Edessa & al...

Cheers,

PYJ

Degtyarev14.5
10-10-2003, 06:10
Well, I suppose in the game turcopoles could well appear in a Turkish army. Think about it: recruited by a Catholic army (most probably the French), then disbanded and hired as mercs by the Turks.

A.

toddy
10-10-2003, 11:44
You can definately build them as the English..

o_loompah_the_delayer
10-10-2003, 11:47
You can build them as spainish, perhaps Hungarians dont get them even thugh they are Catholic b/c they cant crusade? (like Poland/ Denmark)

The Wizard
10-10-2003, 15:08
logical, think of a Danish crusade http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/shock.gif