PDA

View Full Version : Polish Strategies

gurge
10-08-2003, 19:57
I wanted to reply to this topic in the Main Hall but I can't post there.

I've played lots of games as Polish, in fact I barely even tried any other faction. Even on expert I can win almost every time. I only have v1.1 and MedMod 1.85 so I don't know how well my strategies would work in VI, but FWIW here's what I do.

I usually take Pomerania or Moldavia first, then Prussia and Volhynia as soon as I can. Only build forts and border forts in these provinces and keep them lightly garrisoned. Build a fort and bowyer in Silesia and crank out woodsmen and a few archers (more archers if they are cheap like in MedMod). Build spears and whatever you need for feudal men at arms in Poland. Also work in 40% farming for both starting provinces somewhere along the way.

Ignore trading because its really not woth the expense till you get Lithuania. Instead build a good size army of spears, woodsmen and archers with a few fmaa that have just started being produced.

I rarely ally with HRE but instead ally with the French and anyone they are allied with, as well as the Hungarians. When the French and HRE start fighting look for any opportunity to take Bohemia and Brandenburg. Many times I have teamed up with the French in a kind of reverse-World War 2 where we squish Germany between us. If the HRE looks to powerful use the army to get Lithuania and Kiev(if the byzantines don't already have it) and attack the Germans later. Of course always keep a defensive army in Poland. The Hungarians are generally a good ally unless you leave the place toatlly undefended.

Once I have my empire secured from Bohemia to Lithuania I start building up for Baltic trade, setting up Bohemia for upgraded foot units and getting retainers in Poland. Once you get trade going things are fairly easy as long as you stay allied to the major sea power in the area. I generally leave the eastern border at Lithuania/Livonia/Kiev and let whoever owns the steppes take the brunt of the Horde's assault.

When you are strong enough (or the Horde has weakened enough) push them back and take all the east. From then on the game is pretty much won, though things can get interesting if another superpower has arisen.

brent_james
10-08-2003, 20:20
Sea trade is so valuable that I never wasted my time trying to get Lithuania first, when playing as the Poles. Once I got a good sea trade route for Pomerania and Prussia (maybe another province.. I forget the names) I began to gain a LOT of money, which made everything easy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Hetman_Koronny
10-09-2003, 12:32
*bows*

Capturing rich Sweden with its iron before the Danes do may be a good idea as well. I always get Livonia for the sake of 'training' your best generals when not at other war http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif - they rebel continually sort of like the Portuguese.

I also start with capturing Pomerania (it is a really good trade province), Moldawia and Kiev to (1) create somewhat a border defending from greedy Germans and Hungarians/Byzantines (2) cultivate the idea of Poland from sea to sea. Novogrod is not any threat initially and I let them grow so that there’s something for the Horde to chew when they arrive http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

When HRE becomes weak after continuous wars against almost everyone I capture Bohemia, Magdeburg (not sure about the name but that’s the province between Pomerania and Silesia), Swabia and sometimes Frankonia. Then I annihilate the Horde and take over the East. War against Turks is inevitable but in high it is not hard to defeat them.
Very often the English get weak and I like to take over Scotland (the Clansmen are decent troops and dirt cheap) and Ireland to create a base for further attacks.

It is never easy to maintain your economy when playing the Polish. My riches provinces are usually Pomerania (approx. 2000 fl. annually), Sweden (1600 fl.), Novogrod (1600 fl.) and Kiev (2000 fl.). All that provided that I am not at war which causes blocades on trading routes. It only gets worse (for me at least) in the late game when you’re everyone hates you.

As of the military, I usually train the retrainers and royal knights in Poland. Woodsmen in Lithuania, spear troops in Valkyria, all kinds of bow/arbs in Chernihov (sp.?) and other east provinces.

I really like playing the Polish, for it’s a quite tough campaign with poor lands, low stars generals (I NEVER got a general with more than 3* - I have to work on this), strong enemies and the Horde. Nonetheless, it’s always fun.

*bows*

SmokWawelski
10-09-2003, 13:36
I must say that in my games, my score usually depends on how the other kingdoms are doing: we all can probably agree that Pols do not have the best starting point, borders or the best economy base like Spain, Italy, Egypt or even England has.

I do not think that early in the game we can withstand a direct assault from the HRE, and even the Hungarians can be a dreaded enemy. Thus I usually stay low, and try to build what I can without getting into conflicts. Only after HRE is engaged in war with France, I attack either to the south or west. East is usually a fair game to me though...

Gregoshi
10-09-2003, 16:05
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif Welcome to the Org gurge. I've copied your post in to the Polish Strategies topic in the Main Hall.